i can run 8 and out in one pocket from time to time
but usually i am good for 4/5
i can do pretty well in this drill
straight pool drill.jpg
make a ball
do not hit another ball
yet my high run in straight pool is 14.....:embarrassed2::embarrassed2::mad:
with a lot of 7/8/10
what can i do to get thru the next level and thru one rack and keep going??
any advice is welcome

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Mine is 27,back when I had a table, now that I've taken a year from it, and getting back to it hard a few hrs each weekend my high is just 13

Thanks for starting this thread I am in a similar rut and will look forward to the advice shared to up the runs

I don't know if you've seen it before but Mike segels straight pool video is on YouTube in full, where he demonstrates a 105 run with commentary as he pockets balls

John Schmidts 366 is also on YouTube with commentary from him and marop highest run to date on video

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Both of those videos have been very informative for me

I'm able to use and see more caroms
Deadballs that go right in the pocket no matter where you hit

My favorite pool game by far

Last edited:

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
Good thread. I just started getting into 14 and 1 and I get very frustrated. If I miss a shot when I'm practicing I will re-rack all the balls. I'm ok at 8 and 9 ball but I get some kind of mental block when I can shoot at any ball and end up missing easy shots. My high run so far is only 15. I'll be watching those vids...

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
for the record i added to my initial post that i do break and run out in 9 ball from time to time
and can run 8 and out in onepocket with 4/5 more the norm
but looking to be better in straight pool

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably not a good strategy for really high runs (you'll need to do more thinking to get there), but my current strategy when I approach the table is to completely forget about the run, and concentrate on nothing but getting rid of the problem areas. I define problems as balls that don't have a pocket. Either I need to clear other balls out of the way first, or I have to nudge something....or I need to go into the pack.

That's my very simple strategy to get me through the majority of the rack. Once every ball goes somewhere, I start worrying about break balls, key balls, whatever. I've found that worrying about those too early calls on me to play above my current level, and ultimately I never make it to the end of the rack to use all my great ideas anyhow. I get to the table and I'm almost always in trouble from shot 1. I work to get out of trouble. Then I try to cobble together a break shot from whatever is left.

Now, it's not abnormal for me to toss together a nice 20 ball run, and I've run about 35. I don't do it all the time, but I used to NEVER do it. It was simply asking too much of myself to make a master plan and execute it without mistakes, so I broke it up into smaller, much easier to solve chunks, and I depend on a little luck and a little shot making/cue ball control to get me in line from chunk to chunk. :)

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably not a good strategy for really high runs (you'll need to do more thinking to get there), but my current strategy when I approach the table is to completely forget about the run, and concentrate on nothing but getting rid of the problem areas. I define problems as balls that don't have a pocket. Either I need to clear other balls out of the way first, or I have to nudge something....or I need to go into the pack.

That's my very simple strategy to get me through the majority of the rack. Once every ball goes somewhere, I start worrying about break balls, key balls, whatever. I've found that worrying about those too early calls on me to play above my current level, and ultimately I never make it to the end of the rack to use all my great ideas anyhow. I get to the table and I'm almost always in trouble from shot 1. I work to get out of trouble. Then I try to cobble together a break shot from whatever is left.

Now, it's not abnormal for me to toss together a nice 20 ball run, and I've run about 35. I don't do it all the time, but I used to NEVER do it. It was simply asking too much of myself to make a master plan and execute it without mistakes, so I broke it up into smaller, much easier to solve chunks, and I depend on a little luck and a little shot making/cue ball control to get me in line from chunk to chunk. :)
thanks for the advice
i will try that next time i play

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
i can beat the 5 ball ghost in 9 ball
i am close to beating the 6 ball ghost in 9 ball
i do break and run out in 9 ball from tie to time
i can run 8 and out in one pocket from time to time
but usually i am good for 4/5
View attachment 425919
make a ball
do not hit another ball
yet my high run in straight pool is 14.....:embarrassed2::embarrassed2::mad:
with a lot of 7/8/10
any advice is welcome

There are many levels to straight pool mastery...There is a very intricate, deliberate way to play that is often taught in books etc, but at your current stage, that approach may not help you all that much IMO.

Here is what I was taught at my very first lesson with a 200 ball runner many years ago (I allready knew the breakshots, mostly, so we skipped that part)

1. After the (good) break, clear the balls that are blocking others from going into the pockets.
2. Remove clusters
3. Remove balls on rails
4. End pattern

Why do it in that order, you may ask? Well it's simple: With pockets blocked it's incredibly easy to get stuck, early in the game. You need all the pockets to be available when you deal with the clusters. Balls on the rails are generally not very good for the end pattern (with some exceptions), and it's very easy to get out of line when playing them. Planning the end pattern early may be well and good, but generally doing so when you have clusters and balls in the way will just lead to frustration and failure (unless you are extremely skilled). When all the balls are open and the pockets are free, that is the time to worry about the end pattern.

If you spot a perfect break ball early on, it's ok to try to preserve it, but if it gets in the way of your first objectives, you should sacrifice it to get the balls open. If you have 5 balls in a bunch in the rack, how can you plan for the entire rack? There is no way to ACCURATELY know where they are going to end up, thus your plan will be doomed from the start.

As you get better, you will be able to preserve-, and play around perfect breakballs, keyballs, keyballs to the keyball etc...But this is a lot harder than it looks, so my advice would be not to worry too much about that in the beginning.

A simplistic way to think about straight pool is "smash, clean-up, smash" (smash not necessarily meaning huge force) . Beginners tend to go back into the pack either to early (thus making new clusters) or too late (thus not having any optional ways to get back in if they fail).

All of this is contingent on getting a decent first breakshot. If the breakshot was weak, then the rest of the rack will pretty much consist of desperately trying to get back into the pack and since it's allready loose, you will have to do it several times over. Those kinds of racks you'll just have to struggle through. It is in these racks that the theory of keeping safety balls etc will be most helpful.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I'm do similiar things

As Schmidt said on video leave an insurance ball
A hanger for easy to kick at or combos when you got nothing else

Take em off the rails as soon as you can

Schmidty also goes into you don't always HAVE/need to open the stack, he goes on about picking them off if you can, because you can get stuck going after it sometimes

I'll usually see a break ball right when I break and work around it trying my best to not touch it

I learned the dead ball thing from mikes video

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are many levels to straight pool mastery...There is a very intricate, deliberate way to play that is often taught in books etc, but at your current stage, that approach may not help you all that much IMO.

Here is what I was taught at my very first lesson with a 200 ball runner many years ago (I allready knew the breakshots, mostly, so we skipped that part)

1. After the (good) break, clear the balls that are blocking others from going into the pockets.
2. Remove clusters
3. Remove balls on rails
4. End pattern

Why do it in that order, you may ask? Well it's simple: With pockets blocked it's incredibly easy to get stuck, early in the game. You need all the pockets to be available when you deal with the clusters. Balls on the rails are generally not very good for the end pattern (with some exceptions), and it's very easy to get out of line when playing them. Planning the end pattern early may be well and good, but generally doing so when you have clusters and balls in the way will just lead to frustration and failure (unless you are extremely skilled). When all the balls are open and the pockets are free, that is the time to worry about the end pattern.

If you spot a perfect break ball early on, it's ok to try to preserve it, but if it gets in the way of your first objectives, you should sacrifice it to get the balls open. If you have 5 balls in a bunch in the rack, how can you plan for the entire rack? There is no way to ACCURATELY know where they are going to end up, thus your plan will be doomed from the start.

As you get better, you will be able to preserve-, and play around perfect breakballs, keyballs, keyballs to the keyball etc...But this is a lot harder than it looks, so my advice would be not to worry too much about that in the beginning.

A simplistic way to think about straight pool is "smash, clean-up, smash" (smash not necessarily meaning huge force) . Beginners tend to go back into the pack either to early (thus making new clusters) or too late (thus not having any optional ways to get back in if they fail).

All of this is contingent on getting a decent first breakshot. If the breakshot was weak, then the rest of the rack will pretty much consist of desperately trying to get back into the pack and since it's allready loose, you will have to do it several times over. Those kinds of racks you'll just have to struggle through. It is in these racks that the theory of keeping safety balls etc will be most helpful.

i like your approach and advice
obviously you are an experienced player
thanks for taking the time
i will try to use your advice next time i play

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best advice is to play a lot of 14.1 and watch some high level videos of top players playing it.

Take care of problems early. Put together groups of balls. Have a key ball and break ball figured out. Control the cue ball.

But mostly play a lot of 14.1

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
And don't practice this game on diamond tables, it's very discouraging for us mortals, I did today(not my first time) , but it will be the last time

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And don't practice this game on diamond tables, it's very discouraging for us mortals, I did today(not my first time) , but it will be the last time

At my place the regulars who get free table time only play on Diamonds that are about a shade under 4 1/2" pockets. I've rattled more balls in those pockets than I've had hot meals.

My high run is only 19 (only been playing pool for almost 2 years, and didn't take up 14.1 seriously until a couple months ago) but my biggest issue is still taking care of the whitey and hitting my break shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know one essential 14.1 skill that's often overlooked is precision pocketing. It's often not enough to simply pocket the ball. You really need to be able to put it at a very specific spot in the pocket. This comes up all the time when you're shooting combinations, and also when you're sneaking balls past other balls. It happens all the time that you only have 1/2 a pocket to work with.

Anyhow, something like 9-ball is often kind of a stroke game...pounding balls around the table to get to your next shot. Straight pool requires a lot less power usually, but you should try and take advantage of that to get a lot more precision. Once you can pocket the ball in the precise location you're aiming for, the pockets seem to get much bigger and the game becomes more enjoyable. It doesn't mean you won't miss, but pocketing starts becoming a lot more automatic and you'll be able to take shots that you would normally overlook or miss.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
im not that precise so i always try and cheat a ball in there by twisting it with some spin when im not so confident on a shot

;)

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim Rempe's two Straight Pool videos are a must if you are just getting into the game. Mike Sigel's instructional Straight Pool Video I recently got but haven't watched yet. Play Your Best Straight Pool by Phil Capelle is very informative. Also, his Break Shot Patterns book/DVD combination shows how many pro players handle the last few balls before the break ball. George Fels's Mastering Pool has an excellent section on Straight Pool.
When I took up pool seriously in 1973 most everyone in pool rooms played the game with 9 ball and One Pocket coming next. Most pros I've spoken to over the years recommend it for improvement in any other game your play.
Good luck and may your runs be high!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You know one essential 14.1 skill that's often overlooked is precision pocketing. It's often not enough to simply pocket the ball. You really need to be able to put it at a very specific spot in the pocket. This comes up all the time when you're shooting combinations, and also when you're sneaking balls past other balls. It happens all the time that you only have 1/2 a pocket to work with.

Anyhow, something like 9-ball is often kind of a stroke game...pounding balls around the table to get to your next shot. Straight pool requires a lot less power usually, but you should try and take advantage of that to get a lot more precision. Once you can pocket the ball in the precise location you're aiming for, the pockets seem to get much bigger and the game becomes more enjoyable. It doesn't mean you won't miss, but pocketing starts becoming a lot more automatic and you'll be able to take shots that you would normally overlook or miss.

Jim Rempe's two Straight Pool videos are a must if you are just getting into the game. Mike Sigel's instructional Straight Pool Video I recently got but haven't watched yet. Play Your Best Straight Pool by Phil Capelle is very informative. Also, his Break Shot Patterns book/DVD combination shows how many pro players handle the last few balls before the break ball. George Fels's Mastering Pool has an excellent section on Straight Pool.
When I took up pool seriously in 1973 most everyone in pool rooms played the game with 9 ball and One Pocket coming next. Most pros I've spoken to over the years recommend it for improvement in any other game your play.
Good luck and may your runs be high!

thanks for the advice

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I really like what you said about precise pocketing, it does get overlooked, I'm trying to remember this

I am getting higher numbers now the last 2 weeks

A 15,14,14,13,13 getting on a makeable break ball is the next hump

I don't get much time but just those runs there make me feel good to see the improvement

Taking from many bits of instruction to up the count
The zero x, johns 366 video, sigels video

brooklynplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
more of a beginner here in general - but some reason i was completely drawn to 14.1 as my first game (I played barbox 8 ball of course and a bit of snooker years ago 0 but nothing more than complete novice)

Great advice so not sure i can help - but for me, doing Jim Rempe's "brainwash drill" has completely changed my game - put all the balls on the table and sink them all without hitting a rail - keep them away from the rails but don't make it too easy on yourself

Also try to play someone and learn about safeties, taking intentional fouls when needed and trying to gain control of the table back all while changing the layout more to your liking.

Running balls and winning games strangely sometimes involve different skill sets - i know that sounds weird.

Doing that drill for a few months, I now see the table and patterns just jump out at me - but they are super different than 9/10 ball patterns - they do help in 8 ball though

Welcome to the club!

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am close to beating the 6 ball ghost in 9 ball

yet my high run in straight pool is 14...with a lot of 7/8/10

any advice is welcome

it would be interesting to know how your runs usually end?

I'm gonna take a wild guess that you are like me, and making the balls you should make, but leaving yourself with a bad end game.
I have to force myself to SLOW DOWN, and figure out the best strategy to solve the problem balls first (as mentioned above).

I read somewhere, take the "correct" shot that is needed to solve the layout, even its a harder shot than another that is available.....as thats the only way to reach the next level......it helps me to think in those terms anyway....good luck !