That damned Bob Jewett

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I very rarely play. I try to jump on the Mezz West State Tour, to give them my support. But it's 9 ball. I really hate 9 ball. The only real game for me is 14.1.

So I had to decide this weekend. Play in the Mezz West State Tour, or play in the 14.1 World Tournament qualifier in Monterey, CA.

Duh! I decided to go to play in the 14.1 qualifier. I got in the car, and five hours later I'm warming up at Easy Street Billiards.

I lose my first match, couldn't get a feel for things. I couldn't really aim. I couldn't decide when to release the cue. I couldn't feel how hard or soft to hit the cue ball. I was a mess. I guess I should accept that, since I only play once a month.

The first game turned out to be a good warm up. I won my next two matches fairly easily I'm starting to get in stroke.

I'm up against Bob Jewett in my fourth match. By then I'm shooting about 40% of my speed. I jump up to a 94-48 lead. Then something happened. Bob Jewett outshoots me and wins 100-94.

Now I know how Deadpool felt.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I very rarely play. I try to jump on the Mezz West State Tour, to give them my support. But it's 9 ball. I really hate 9 ball. The only real game for me is 14.1.

So I had to decide this weekend. Play in the Mezz West State Tour, or play in the 14.1 World Tournament qualifier in Monterey, CA.

Duh! I decided to go to play in the 14.1 qualifier. I got in the car, and five hours later I'm warming up at Easy Street Billiards.

I lose my first match, couldn't get a feel for things. I couldn't really aim. I couldn't decide when to release the cue. I couldn't feel how hard or soft to hit the cue ball. I was a mess. I guess I should accept that, since I only play once a month.

The first game turned out to be a good warm up. I won my next two matches fairly easily I'm starting to get in stroke.

I'm up against Bob Jewett in my fourth match. By then I'm shooting about 40% of my speed. I jump up to a 94-48 lead. Then something happened. Bob Jewett outshoots me and wins 100-94.

Sounds like you played really well to be out ahead of Bob that far.

As for the rest, I think we all have experienced things like that. Sorry.

Any good runs?

How many players did Danny have? Who qualified if you know?

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
I was happy to read your post and glad to see that you are getting to play. Five hours of driving is not easy and then try to play a serious match up to speed. Very hard to do... Looks like you played well and you had Bob..... at least for a little while... Congrats to Bob for making such a nice come back. Keep in touch.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you played really well to be out ahead of Bob that far.

As for the rest, I think we all have experienced things like that. Sorry.

Any good runs?

How many players did Danny have? Who qualified if you know?
The pockets were a little picky, like some GCs -- if you hit even a little of the leading point at speed, the ball would hang. They are a local brand -- Rebco.

The final match came down to me and Elliot Eisenberg both with no losses in the round-robin format. I played my best match of the tournament with a run of 40 and some good safety plays. The score was 100-36.

Danny said that both Elliot and I qualified.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's terrible. I remember when Bob picked on that young kid Shane Van Boening.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Ouch! Feeling for you - I probably couldn't make a single ball after driving for five hours!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
The pockets were a little picky, like some GCs -- if you hit even a little of the leading point at speed, the ball would hang. They are a local brand -- Rebco.

The final match came down to me and Elliot Eisenberg both with no losses in the round-robin format. I played my best match of the tournament with a run of 40 and some good safety plays. The score was 100-36.

Danny said that both Elliot and I qualified.

Congrats Bob, on making it through !!

I couldn't think of a better person than you to get through to the big event.

I wish you all the best at the event, and look forward to seeing you once again.

Steve

Last edited:

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair to Bob (#$^&@@*(%) I drove in on Friday, and got a full night's sleep. No excuses, he seemed to hesitate early in the game. Then when I got far ahead, he tightened up his game, played more carefully, more deliberately.

Bob inched his way back but eventually made a mistake leaving me an open kiss shot into the corner (the 11 ball in the attached image). There were plenty of balls available to run the final few balls I needed.

I decided not to take the shot, since I was too close to winning, and I felt the 11 would bounce off the side rail. Bob took a look at the shot and without hesitation made it, and ran out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 9.57.05 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 9.57.05 PM.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To be fair to Bob (#$^&@@*(%) I drove in on Friday, and got a full night's sleep. No excuses, he seemed to hesitate early in the game. Then when I got far ahead, he tightened up his game, played more carefully, more deliberately.

Bob inched his way back but eventually made a mistake leaving me an open kiss shot into the corner (the 11 ball in the attached image). There were plenty of balls available to run the final few balls I needed.

I decided not to take the shot, since I was too close to winning, and I felt the 11 would bounce off the side rail. Bob took a look at the shot and without hesitation made it, and ran out.
The 11 was actually lined up to the point and by the simple kiss-line theory would miss (especially with the finicky pockets) or maybe barely go in. But the 11 was frozen to the 9 and so the 10-times-fuller system applies and the ball went a little forward of the kiss line.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 11 was actually lined up to the point and by the simple kiss-line theory would miss (especially with the finicky pockets) or maybe barely go in. But the 11 was frozen to the 9 and so the 10-times-fuller system applies and the ball went a little forward of the kiss line.

Doesnt Having the other stripe on the 11 also increase "throw"?

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member

Is Easy Street Billiards the room they used to call Bow Tie Billiards? I use to play there all the time back in the mid '90s...Tony Anigoni used to hang out there and occasional monsters from San Francisco shot there...It was a nice room.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Doesnt Having the other stripe on the 11 also increase "throw"?

One might say the 15, due to its inertia, adds "weight" to the 11, ever so slightly pushing it through the 9 (or more to the point: through the 9's tangent line to the pocket or rather, where exactly it's lined up, so the 11 may have looked as it would hit the side rail or corner pocket nuckle, but the additional "weight" of the 15 makes it go forward and sideways, almost as in a squeeze).

Reminds me (unrelated, or at least only indirectly related): I seem to remember there were coin tables in the U.S. with heavier cue balls, do those still exist? In a slow motion video, such a cue ball will go forward before coming back on a draw shot, simply because of the impulse energy of the heavier object. As a result, people always felt it was easier to follow a heavy cue ball than draw it, and vice versa.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One might say the 15, due to its inertia, adds "weight" to the 11, ever so slightly pushing it through the 9 (or more to the point: ....
The actual physics is somewhat more complicated than that. In any case, the shot absolutely depends on the 11 being frozen to the ball behind it. A tenth of a mm is too much separation.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
The actual physics is somewhat more complicated than that. In any case, the shot absolutely depends on the 11 being frozen to the ball behind it. A tenth of a mm is too much separation.

and isnt speed of the shot a factor as well.

I have learned alot about this from an older gentlman that plays at my room, he is a master of pack shots and kisses and throws in my room... I have learned a lot from him.

-Steve

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Could you explain what the 10-times-fuller system is? I've never heard of that. I do know that with frozen shots like that, the ball will usually end up much close to where the tangent line points as opposed to where the ball is actually aimed. I never really thought about why beyond knowing that if I don't do that I miss a lot. :)

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Could you explain what the 10-times-fuller system is? I've never heard of that. I do know that with frozen shots like that, the ball will usually end up much close to where the tangent line points as opposed to where the ball is actually aimed. I never really thought about why beyond knowing that if I don't do that I miss a lot. :)

The thing to remember, and i see a lot of players making this mistake is that the Edge of the ball travels the tangent line not the center of the ball. They usually follow that by scratching their head as to why the shot was missed, and typically on the short side.

-Steve

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the Edge of the ball travels the tangent line not the center of the ball

But it doesn't. The ball always seems to head forward of that line, and it sounds like Bob has some way of estimating it. That's my experience, anyhow. Maybe I just have terrible aim. :)

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a YouTube video in which he explains it.

Google "10 times fuller system" and it should be the first YouTube video. I'm on phone and can't link it.