Tourney question

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
I'm looking to hold a tournament to help raise funds for a drug and alcohol rehabilitation mission that my parents started.

I love the game and thought maybe I could put something together to help them by using the game I love . My question is this:

I'm thinking of doing something like a guaranteed 1000 to first place and 500 for second and 200 for third. And have a player auction as well.

What should the entry fee be for this. And do you have any suggestions to help things go smoother . If never done this before. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make sure you know how to properly disburse byes in your brackets.

How many tables you plan on using?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before you setup prizes you need to figure out if there is even enough players in your area for this. $1k first prize is pretty large for a charity thing, you think you'll bring in $3k in entries/donations to cover the payouts with enough money left to actually get some money for the charity?

For a charity tournament, if there is a good amount of players, you should do a few 100 top prize at most. Maybe make a staggered entry fee of $20 for B/C players $30 for A and $40 for AA/Pro if you are expecting to attract top players.

I'd list payouts TBD on entries unless you have another source of money coming in. Maybe just say 1/2 of entry fees to charity, rest to prize fund. Get some donations of cues (or maybe look to buy them at cost) or something also for raffles or prizes.

Make participation trophies for the top finishers (something nice for the top 4).

The charity tournaments I play in have all been short races to like 3 or 2 and were all random picked doubles matches, with a bit of hand adjusting if you get two strong players together. Make it like an A/B or A/C doubles if you go that way, keep from A/A pairs hehe.

Diabetes fundraiser my room held not long ago:
Only prize aside from the raffle where trophies. I don't like having a large payout for the tournament as the funds are there to help whatever you are having a fund raiser for anyway.

1013265_627976397254282_1567732490_n.jpg

1391731_628500883868500_1700376762_n.jpg

67055_627670667284855_1481600867_n.jpg

1376372_627671113951477_2060110655_n.jpg

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
Before you setup prizes you need to figure out if there is even enough players in your area for this. $1k first prize is pretty large for a charity thing, you think you'll bring in $3k in entries/donations to cover the payouts with enough money left to actually get some money for the charity?

For a charity tournament, if there is a good amount of players, you should do a few 100 top prize at most. Maybe make a staggered entry fee of $20 for B/C players $30 for A and $40 for AA/Pro if you are expecting to attract top players.

I'd list payouts TBD on entries unless you have another source of money coming in. Maybe just say 1/2 of entry fees to charity, rest to prize fund. Get some donations of cues (or maybe look to buy them at cost) or something also for raffles or prizes.

Make participation trophies for the top finishers (something nice for the top 4).

The charity tournaments I play in have all been short races to like 3 or 2 and were all random picked doubles matches, with a bit of hand adjusting if you get two strong players together. Make it like an A/B or A/C doubles if you go that way, keep from A/A pairs hehe.

Diabetes fundraiser my room held not long ago:
Only prize aside from the raffle where trophies. I don't like having a large payout for the tournament as the funds are there to help whatever you are having a fund raiser for anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was actually thinking I was off on the prize money. I would really liketo try and get something put together. My mom and dad put a lot of there time into this on top of my Dad running a business and my mom working full time.

Thanks again.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotch doubles Is a good format for a fund raiser. At my local hall they do a round robin format one game race but they have lots of tables and teams, 10 points for a win and other team gets a point for each ball made, top 4 teams play a best of 3 single elimination playoff. Winner gets a trophy and maybe gift card or some donated prize. They are lots of fun.

They also draw for door prizes through out the day, little things like maybe chalk holders, tip picks or gift cards, tee shirts that kind of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The charity tournaments that I have attended have come in two different formats. The first format was a lower entry say $15.00 with all of the proceeds going to the charity. The top 6 places received trophies. The players would get some raffle tickets for their entry. They also had a killer raffle with prizes donated by individuals and businesses. He would spend the year getting the the prizes. They would sell tickets to the raffle beside the tournament. The local establishment that hosted the tournament would add $5/player to the charity just like an added money tournament. The players would pay quarters. The races were short maybe 3 on the winners and 2 on the losers.

The other format was half the money collected would go to the charity and the other half would be the prize fund. You could still do a raffle and calcutta. Take a small percentage maybe 20% of the calcutta for the charity.

I wouldn't guarantee anything. The worst thing you could do is guarantee a large amount and not get the numbers and end up dipping into your own pocket and the charity doesn't make a dime. Good luck!