Cole Dickson vs. Richie Florence

jjohnson

Registered
8:39 PM 4/30/2012

I met Bob at Hard Times Billiards in Bellflower, California, a couple of years ago. He told me about a match he watched around 1968 between Cole Dickson and Richie Florence. Here is Bob's firsthand account as told to me, as best as I can remember it.

There had been a tournament announcement posted on the wall at Five Points Billiards in Norwalk. Toward the bottom of the poster was a yellow sun with Richie Florence's picture in it. Around the sun it said, "Featuring Richie Florence, the World's Greatest Nine Ball player."

Cole was getting in stroke over at Palace Billiards in Bellflower. His older brother, Jerry, was sitting nearby when Richie Florence walks in. Immediately Cole says, "Well, if it isn't Richie Florence." Richie's two backers wearing suits walk in next. Cole says, "Who designated you the world's greatest nine ball player? You?"

Jerry covers his eyes with his hand shaking his head. Richie just stands there like: WTF.

Cole says, "I can beat you so what does that make me?"

Richie says, "How about a hundred a game?" Cole and Jerry only have two hundred between them.

Cole breaks and runs six racks in a row. He wastes no time. He shoots quickly. He shoots the eyes out of the balls.

After 17 games Richie's backers say, "No more." Richie never won a game.

Bob says that Cole was extremely competitive and aggressive. He says he knew he was seeing something special and that he'll never forget that match. Cole would have been about 18 years old. The only other person in the pool hall was the man behind the bar. Bob told me his name but I forget what it was.

Once in a lifetime .

Last edited:

steveinflorida

Silver Member
Just got around to reading this post. Great story. Thank you for telling us.
I made cases for both Cole and Richie back in the early 70's.
They were both hard core $ players for sure.

RICKDOG224U

Registered
I have had the pleasure of playing with cole quite a bit here in montana. Definetly one of my favorite players to hang out with. His one pocket game is off the charts. still plays for money once in a while and hits a tournament now and again.

Last edited:

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8:39 PM 4/30/2012

I met Bob at Hard Times Billiards in Bellflower, California, a couple of years ago. He told me about a match he watched around 1968 between Cole Dickson and Richie Florence. Here is Bob's firsthand account as told to me, as best as I can remember it.

There had been a tournament announcement posted on the wall at Five Points Billiards in Norwalk. Toward the bottom of the poster was a yellow sun with Richie Florence's picture in it. Around the sun it said, "Featuring Richie Florence, the World's Greatest Nine Ball player."

Cole was getting in stroke over at Palace Billiards in Bellflower. His older brother, Jerry, was sitting nearby when Richie Florence walks in. Immediately Cole says, "Well, if it isn't Richie Florence." Richie's two backers wearing suits walk in next. Cole says, "Who designated you the world's greatest nine ball player? You?"

Jerry covers his eyes with his hand shaking his head. Richie just stands there like: WTF.

Cole says, "I can beat you so what does that make me?"

Richie says, "How about a hundred a game?" Cole and Jerry only have two hundred between them.

Cole breaks and runs six racks in a row. He wastes no time. He shoots quickly. He shoots the eyes out of the balls.

After 17 games Richie's backers say, "No more." Richie never won a game.

Bob says that Cole was extremely competitive and aggressive. He says he knew he was seeing something special and that he'll never forget that match. Cole would have been about 18 years old. The only other person in the pool hall was the man behind the bar. Bob told me his name but I forget what it was.

Once in a lifetime .

Sweet thread,i love the old war stories,like black said ,is that all u have?

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just got around to reading this post. Great story. Thank you for telling us.
I made cases for both Cole and Richie back in the early 70's.
They were both hard core $ players for sure.
Did you know a guy named Rich Childress? Just curious

Thanks

Tahoedirt

Tahoedirt
Cole Dickson

I grew up playing with Cole at the Golden Q in Hayward. About midnight we'd always close the place and go over to SF to Cochran's and the Palace to play all night. Cole wasn't even old enough to drive (only 15 in 1968 I think).
Bucktooth and some others too. I saw Cole play Boston Blackie 1P and just work him. We'd hang all night. Those were great times

I ran into him years later in Tahoe and he wanted to become a poker player. he was much better at pool

Last edited: