The Best Ever List of Pool Nicknames

androd

androd
Silver Member
punter said:
Tangle Eye (don't know his real name). If anyone has heard of him, where was he from?

Machine Lou Butera's son is Sal 'Son of a Gun' Butera
"tangle eye" from the panhandle of florida or right above the state line in alabama. he had a brother known as "florida red" they both played quiet well.
PS; hadn't heard of son of a gun, that's too cool !

poolpop63

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
does anyone remember Q ball Kelly? He used to referee matches and do Q ball trickshots with his fingers. I saw him at the US open 14.1 tourny in Chicago in the early 70's. Funny guy.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
poolpop63 said:
does anyone remember Q ball Kelly? He used to referee matches and do Q ball trickshots with his fingers. I saw him at the US open 14.1 tourny in Chicago in the early 70's. Funny guy.

Yup, I knew him, and he was a very colorful guy. He goes back all the way to the Greenleaf days, but he refereed into his seventies.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thebigdog said:
Poker Paul from the Bay Area, right? He's given me plenty of 1 pocket lessons for $10 a game.

yes from Emeryville-I was suprised he knew who I was. Very nice man for sure, I hope I see him again, I dont go to the poolroom often here, I should. He came here for the dry air he said, he looked ok to me. He wasnt liking Vegas too much-I understand.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
androd said:
"tangle eye" from the panhandle of florida or right above the state line in alabama. he had a brother known as "florida red" they both played quiet well.
PS; hadn't heard of son of a gun, that's too cool !

Rod,

You may know of this guy. He was a good natured kid (shortstop)when I last saw him in '98. Liked to bet it up too. Don't even know his real name, but everyone around Shreveport called him "Shipwreck". I was told he got that handle because he was very accident prone, and his next disaster always seemed right around the corner.

Dick

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Jackjaw"

My old running partner was called Jackjaw a lot of places. He was a song and dance man extraordinaire, could make someone that had never picked up a stick before believe they were fixing to rob Bobby. He often put on a show the whole time he was playing too. A good friend and I never had to worry about my back when we were running together. "Jackjaw" came from the old bumper jacks and was a variation of ratchet jaw. He could talk a wee bit! He got ran out of Louisiana, hung around Houston awhile and the last I knew was in Mississippi. Funny to think about it but I guess he is in his sixties now if he is still around, maybe near McComb or Chatham. Would like to hear from him.

Hu

RacksByTheDozen

Registered
couple nicknames I didn't see

I didn't search the thread that thoroughly but I didn't see any mention of "Strawberry" Brooks, or Bill "Weenie Beanie" Statom. Those are legendary one-pocket players, and nicknames....;)

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
alley oop
cannonball
superstroke
the lizard
cowboy (JIMMY MOORE @ DARNELL)
fargo
the banker @ the beard
john kelly (K. KEOUGH)

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
I saw a video of Fats talking trash about Cornbread, he refered to him as "No Bread Red" if he was going to play Fats.

miniscrotum fats - i read a story i think off jimmy reids web site about some tourney in la and fats was woofing up a storm, fats woofs at some player he has no chance against that he's only playin for 1000 a set and he'd play him 1000 a game, fats leaves and the player says "there goes the great miniscrotum fats" ever since i read that i've adopted it as a username gets a lot of wtf moments when people 1st see it

the sleeve - adam behnke

fishgrease - 1 of kirkwoods buddys, never did get the story on this 1

toledo timmy what will u gimmie - overheard @ dcc on tar

diesel - guy from a place i played at put gas in a truck instead of diesel

foul f*cker - what my dad calls a buddy of his that i play pool with, his actual nickname is rooster

chunks - guy i ran around with, never knew where the name originated until he threw up in my car 1 night
________

Last edited:

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
I don't believe anyone has mentioned Efren The Magician or The Scorpion

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Weenie Beenie" Bill Staton was so named because he had several hot dog stands in the D.C. area with the same name. "Cannonball" John Chapman got his name simply because he hit the ball so hard. I never did know how "Strawberry" Melvin Brooks got his name. "Amarillo Slim" T.J. Preston is a long and very lean character and high roller from Amarillo, Texas. Jimmy Moore was dubbed "Cowboy" because of his fondness for Western wear.

androd

androd
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
Rod,

You may know of this guy. He was a good natured kid (shortstop)when I last saw him in '98. Liked to bet it up too. Don't even know his real name, but everyone around Shreveport called him "Shipwreck". I was told he got that handle because he was very accident prone, and his next disaster always seemed right around the corner.

Dick
i don't remember "shipwreck",but most everyone was a shortstop compared to you my friend. good luck with Pool School, you'll help a lot of students ! rodney.
ps; a few more nicknames
fat rat
arguing paul
blue shirt
10 percent denny
harry the horse

Last edited:

gregoryg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
R2d2...

I have never claimed to deserve ANY nickname, but I was getting called R2D2 for many years due to the fact that I was playing like a robot. I did not lose very often, never smiled and was always told I was TOO serious when I played. Sharking me did not happen when I was playing like that. Sadly I do not have that ability now.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't forget Benny "The Goose" Conway, not to be confused with Mike "Geese" Gerace. They were birds of a feather though. :)