Narrowed Tenons

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got this in for a tip and ferrule replacement. Got me to wondering. Has anyone else noticed the the tenon looking like it was put into a pencil sharpener. I think it created the weak spot along with a thin walled ferrule, but my question is to what purpose it serves. Someone must have felt like it was necessary, but why? Don't want to go into who the maker is, just wondering and hoping to learn why.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=490300&stc=1&d=1524071251

Attachments

• DSCF7139.jpg
    DSCF7139.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 480

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
That's called the 'Power-Piston'. A Meucci exclusive.
As to it's benefits, I'll let the reader decide.

KJ

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's called the 'Power-Piston'. A Meucci exclusive.
As to it's benefits, I'll let the reader decide.

KJ

What's the theory behind that?
I don't see how the physics can back up the claims Bob makes.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
They break .... just a crazy idea.....just like all Meucci ferrules...... when I fix them I turn the tenon to 5/16 and put on a new ferrule. Never had a complaint or had one come back.......

Kim

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They break .... just a crazy idea.....just like all Meucci ferrules...... when I fix them I turn the tenon to 5/16 and put on a new ferrule. Never had a complaint or had one come back.......

Kim

Yeah, I don't understand how they expect that to last very long. I honestly thought they did it to aid them in assembly somehow. I never thought they did to enhance performance. Thanks to all of you!

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the theory behind that?
I don't see how the physics can back up the claims Bob makes.

Well as far as low deflection, the goal is to reduce mass closest to the tip so that the cue deflects instead of the ball. So I can see where a thin-walled ferrule and some missing wood can reduce mass.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Predator bores a hole & fills with foam. Ferrules crack. Meucci tapers the tenon so the ferrule can flex. Ferrules crack. Both do it for "deflection" purposes and both have their own data to support their marketing claims, and people believe it. There's an entire market for crap like this. It's exploded(pun intended). When did quality construction using quality materials go out of style?

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Go with the proven method that ends cracked ferrules.

Meh, then you're stuck with the wooden ladder syndrome. If cues never fail, repairmen cease to exist and obsoletion screeches to a halt, significantly slowing advancement. In the midst of all these gimmicks will be a spark or possibly even explosion of solid technological advancement. Somebody will eventually get the idea to make an aluminum ladder, but not if the wooden ones never break.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Predator bores a hole & fills with foam. Ferrules crack. Meucci tapers the tenon so the ferrule can flex. Ferrules crack. Both do it for "deflection" purposes and both have their own data to support their marketing claims, and people believe it. There's an entire market for crap like this. It's exploded(pun intended). When did quality construction using quality materials go out of style?
When "performance" became a lot more important than durability.
That and profit over quality.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ferrules

Hard to criticize commercial success and what it implies even if you don't like it. :( crappy ferrules) waiting for the aluminum era. :) oh I meant Carbon Fiber.

Mario

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you can make a durable low front end mass product. Mezz has been doing it for years, so has Bob Danielson.
It's when you push the physics to the point where you create a product that does not stand up to normal wear and tear that problems start showing up..
It's gonna be interesing to see how the new carbonfibre shafts will stand the test of time.
I have allready seen damaged shafts due to botched diy tip replacements and I see that players in general are harder on these shafts, than they would a regular shaft, becuase they believe them to be indestructable.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meh, then you're stuck with the wooden ladder syndrome. If cues never fail, repairmen cease to exist and obsoletion screeches to a halt, significantly slowing advancement. In the midst of all these gimmicks will be a spark or possibly even explosion of solid technological advancement. Somebody will eventually get the idea to make an aluminum ladder, but not if the wooden ones never break.

No ferrule is what I'm cookin'

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
I put them back just like Bob built them. If someone brings me a repair I do my best to make it as close as possible to the way it was originally built no matter if is a Meucci or Gina or whatever. If I need to make construction changes it is explained in advance.