Jim Baxter cue review ?????????

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't typically chime in on these things; however, since this comment involves a cue I currently have listed (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=314826), I felt compelled.

I don't intend to take issue with the buyers opinion nor his demeanor. The transaction was smoothly. He didn't care for the cue so I took it back. No big deal. I will typically take back anything that I sell for any reason within a reasonable period of time. Of course, that is not what this thread is about, so let's move on.

I have only one issue with this cue. The wrap does not line up with the butt the way it should, perhaps because the groove has been cut too deep for this particular wrap. That is evident from the pics. All of the other issues are not particularly relevant as far as I'm concerned. Can you feel the rings? Yes, to an extent. However, I've seen 1K+ cues with ringwork that isn't perfectly flush. Its not a big deal for a cue in this price range. The cue has a very minor taper roll when put together. Not a big enough deal for most people to be concerned. There are no other issues that merit real consideration. Its a nice cue and its priced appropriately.

I guarantee that most AZers who've done a large number of transactions via this forum have been disappointed at some time or the other. S___ happens. If issues are resolved amicably, let's move on. We need to seriously think twice before potentially trashing someone's reputation. Was this Jim's best work? No. But its really not that bad and is priced accordingly. I don't have a pony in this race .... just interested in fairness.

By the way Jim has offered to fix the wrap issue at no cost. If I take him up on that gracious offer, the price of the cue goes up as well! ;)
You hit it right on the head about price range. I've had dozens of 1k+ cues with minor things here and there. All hit well. I certainly wouldn't make a big deal about it for anything under 500 bucks.

There's no shortage of reasons we might find minor flaws in cues and 9/10 it has nothing to do with workmanship.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, are you always such a dick?

I can't imagine what would've made you bump a 3 week old thread just to bash a fantastic cue maker like Jim, but I hope you feel better now. I think your reputation on here proceeds you much more than Jim's negative feedback proceeds him.

Allow me to help you out here.

If you wish to continue being a part of this community, the names will cease.
Please read our rules and speak up if you don't understand them completely.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Wow, are you always such a dick?

I can't imagine what would've made you bump a 3 week old thread just to bash a fantastic cue maker like Jim, but I hope you feel better now. I think your reputation on here proceeds you much more than Jim's negative feedback proceeds him.

I think I understand Monstermash is a drama queen, I recall when he, or or was it his girlfriend bought a 2 x 3 Sterling Wave Case that "scratched" his gwirl friends Cue. Never did post photo of the scratches when people asked show up.

But Matt Carter of Sterling Gaming posted he would resolved the problem, because wanted to see for himself the Wave Case that did the nasty scratching. Offer a FREE REPLACEMENT, offer postage reimbursement, offered a new case, offered, offered. If Mr. Unhappy would return the Sterling Wave Case that did the scratching to his Gwirls Cue.

Read the drama in these two threads (linked), decide for yourself who is out of line.

scottyjoe145 was happy with a purchase from Jim Baxter who has many transaction on AZB, and than someone who never saw, touched, or had anything to do with scottyjoe145's Cue, started trashing Jim Baxter.

Maybe Monstermash will share with us why he has this venom for Jim Baxter, and JBCases who designed the STERLING WAVE CASE.

Several years ago I was up in Sin City at the BCAPL 8 Ball thing in the Riviera. Saw an older gentleman carrying a Sterling Wave Case. The Wave Case had just come out that year.

The way the guy was dressed, including shoes, and jewelry said RICK Cat. I asked how is that Wave Case working out for you, he stopped, sung the praises of the Wave he bought at the SBE.

Than showed me his prizes he trust to be protected by the inexpensive Wave Case. A Original George Balabushka, Gus Szamboti in a Sterling Wave Case. Bet the guy had more prizes at home in a safe.

Nuff Said!

Last edited:

scottyjoe145

scottyjoe145
Silver Member
Allow me to help you out here.

If you wish to continue being a part of this community, the names will cease.

Please read our rules and speak up if you don't understand them completely.

Where in the rules does it say you can hijack someones existing thread for your own personal off-topic rants?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Really? you guys want a rule that will see anything off topic get you banned?

REALLY???

scottyjoe145

scottyjoe145
Silver Member
Really? you guys want a rule that will see anything off topic get you banned?

REALLY???

This thread was obviously buried on page 8 somewhere before Monster dug it out to bash Jim and insult me. I can't imagine why he would do such a thing... and the next time my thread is used for such behavior I'll call that person out as well.

No disrespect here Mr. Wilson. I really do enjoy this forum in spite of it's drama queens.

You guys are making it awfully hard to justify paying for a membership...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
New poster:
makes a cue review post and puts it in the main forum, when there is a proper sub forum for it.
Gets commentary from a disgruntled ( former? ) customer and you call him a name.

Where did he insult you?

I can understand JB's displeasure with what was said but his is between them really and unless either do something to break the rules...I generally let these things stand.

Happens all the time where someone wants their rep or whatever protected until the bashing is being dealt instead of received. Everyone wants to bash but nobody wants to be bashed.

As far as buying membership> meh. Maybe a foot rub too while I'm at it?

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
I think I understand Monstermash is a drama queen, I recall when he, or or was it his girlfriend bought a 2 x 3 Sterling Wave Case that "scratched" his gwirl friends Cue. Never did post photo of the scratches when people asked show up.

But Matt Carter of Sterling Gaming posted he would resolved the problem, because wanted to see for himself the Wave Case that did the nasty scratching. Offer a FREE REPLACEMENT, offer postage reimbursement, offered a new case, offered, offered. If Mr. Unhappy would return the Sterling Wave Case that did the scratching to his Gwirls Cue.

Read the drama in these two threads (linked), decide for yourself who is out of line.

scottyjoe145 was happy with a purchase from Jim Baxter who has many transaction on AZB, and than someone who never saw, touched, or had anything to do with scottyjoe145's Cue, started trashing Jim Baxter.

Maybe Monstermash will share with us why he has this venom for Jim Baxter, and JBCases who designed the STERLING WAVE CASE.

Several years ago I was up in Sin City at the BCAPL 8 Ball thing in the Riviera. Saw an older gentleman carrying a Sterling Wave Case. The Wave Case had just come out that year.

The way the guy was dressed, including shoes, and jewelry said RICK Cat. I asked how is that Wave Case working out for you, he stopped, sung the praises of the Wave he bought at the SBE.

Than showed me his prizes he trust to be protected by the inexpensive Wave Case. A Original George Balabushka, Gus Szamboti in a Sterling Wave Case. Bet the guy had more prizes at home in a safe.

Nuff Said!

You really need to get your facts straight. By the time I was asked to provide photos of the Bender cue that was damaged, I had already brought it to PFD Studios and had it repaired. But because you always just seem to stick your nose where it doesn't belong without having any facts to back it up and since you seem to think you know everything, by all means, please feel free to contact Mr. Drexler and ask him about the damage on the cue. And when he sets you straight, I expect an apology from you for getting involved with something you know nothing about.

On that same note, John and I have discussed this and even after everything that was said between us we worked it out. Why? Because deep down we are really just good people. We were willing to listen to each other and respect each other enough to hear each other out. So to be CLEAR, there are no ill feeling between JB and myself. So do me a favor and keep your nose out of everyone else's business.

Additionally, I recall getting a pm from you directing my attention to some things that were said by John when all this was going on. Which begs to wonder why you felt the need to be involved AGAIN in something that you have no stake in except to stir the pot.

Now, since you want to rehash everything that happened between Baxter and myself I'll spare everyone that knows the story all the details but I will give you the abridged version since you seem to have forgot, or never really knew anyway.

These are THE FACTS. And I hope people will read this and think twice before ordering anything from him. And I know he's going to be pissed when I post this but he has only you to blame for stirring it up AGAIN!

I ordered a set of JP's for my newly acquired Blackcreek cue from Jim.

We discuss details including colors, ring thickness, and design.

I send details to Jim as to the ring thickness and colors so that they will match as close as possible without having to send the cue across the country.

Jim returns home from a long trip and sends me an email informing me that when he returned my JP's we completed and on the shipping table. Which begs the question, who actually made them?

He sends me a photo of the JP's and I reply that they are not correct. The color is not correct and the ring thickness is WAY off. Even though they are not what I ordered, Jim tells me he is shipping them and expects payment. I reply to the fact that I do not want them because they are incorrect.

Jim responds with some off color comment about not wanting to "say something he'll regret later" and basically demands payment and tells me to hold judgement until I see them.

Although I know that I am going to be unhappy because I can see from the photo that they are not correct I pay him anyway and he ships them. Upon arrival, it is even more clear that they are not as I ordered and I try to context Jim to send them back, which by the way was idiotic because now I have to pay return shipping for something THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN SHIPPED ANYWAY! Jim never responds to my emails asking to send them back. And why would he, he has my money?

After a period of time without any response from Jim, I do a review of Jim and the JP's and that of course gets his attention and now he wants me to send them back. Of course he does, now his complete lack of customer service is out for everyone to see and he's in damage control mode. He spews a bunch of lies in the thread and then......

I get attacked by all of Jim's buddies here on the forum because somehow I'm the asshole for expecting to actually get what I ordered. Let me tell you, there was some (insert sarcastic voice here) complete brilliance going on from all of his buddies.

Some time goes by and because Jim and I have a mutual friend that assures us we got off on the wrong foot, I bury the hatchet and give him another chance. I order another set of JP's for my girlfriends cue and they turn out pretty good. So I'm under the impression that Jim and I are ok so I start a thread informing everyone that Jim and I have worked out our differences. Meanwhile, Jim is still harbouring a grudge and although I am trying to be nice to him, he still acts like I'm the Antichrist.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I have an issue with Scottyjoe who complains (lies actually) to Baxter about a discussion we had via pm about him violating the rules and because Jim wants to sell him something he takes his side and starts a thread thrashing me. Well, I thought that was the reason. Actually, the reason is because Jim is just to stuck in his ways to see anyone else's point of view.

Please keep in mind, this is the SHORT version of the story and there is much more to tell.

So Cowboy, ask me again why I have "venom" for Baxter. Do me a favor and get your facts straight before you decide to stir the pot and instigate trouble.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
monstermash
it seems you had a bad experience with jim and have a grudge...icbw
i read very breifly your link from a 2009 issue with jims j/ps
it seems he refunded your money and you were out $15 shipping cost
seems fair to me... your werent happy ...he took them back
whats the problem???
when you buy a cue new or used many sellers offer 100% satisfaction money back
LESS SHIPPING and return shipping is on your nickel
personally my only experience is in buying many sets of j/ps
never had a problem and im 100% satisfied....:)
i dont mean to hijack the thread
and i probably shouldnt stick my nose where it doesnt belong
i guess if you have more to say lets do it via pm

scottyjoe145

scottyjoe145
Silver Member
Since this has gotten all out of hand, I thought I'd make it a bit more interesting. As for the name calling Mr. Wilson, check out this PM I recieved from Monster:

Attachments

• monster 2.jpg
    monster 2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 394

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll say this: If I'd seen this post 4 days ago, there wouldn't be a Monstermash on AZB.

This is a final warning on this behavior.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I don't know anyone that could have a problem with Jimmy.
A person would almost have to go out of their way to make Jim mad.

My wife and I met Jim in Vegas a few years ago and it was the high light of our pool trip.

And we have kept in touch long distance or email since.

I have had several great transactions with Jim before and since our meeting.

And I don't even get deals. Friends are Friends and Business is Business.

I bought a set of J/Ps to match a Schon that I purchased from him. He made them pretty much from memory and would say that they are 100%.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know anyone that could have a problem with Jimmy.
A person would almost have to go out of their way to make Jim mad.

Jim should be nick named Gentleman Jim. He's a reputable talented cue maker that aims to please. He will stand behind anything he does. I feel he is more concerned with satisfying a customer than the money made from the sale. He values his reputation as a person and craftsman. Also he'll gladly share his knowledge to hobby cue makers and repair people.

ArtT

Registered
Why does the very first post (the cue review) say, "Jim is quite possibly putting out some of the last pieces he will ever make." ? Is he retiring? I really don't know much about him other than a friend got one of his cues recently and he is happy with it.

80P

Banned
Why does the very first post (the cue review) say, "Jim is quite possibly putting out some of the last pieces he will ever make." ? Is he retiring? I really don't know much about him other than a friend got one of his cues recently and he is happy with it.

He is still making cues. Just took an order from me yesterday and has already told me he was started on it today.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk