Dale Perry Cue Review

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, let me say that I have read all of the previous threads on AzBilliards pertaining to Dale Perry cues and decided to buy one myself. I knew going into it it was a gamble.

I won the bidding at $100 even with $15 shipping. When the cue arrived, I was quite amused. The shaft was poorly made, the rings and collar were different diameters. The cue butt was off center to the pin, so the shaft and butt were slightly misaligned. Hardly what you would expect from a "custom maker". The cue was garbage, so it became my bar cue. I have been playing off and on with it for the past few weeks and it finally broke.

Pics to follow.

Edit-

I was using it as my break cue for a few sets of 9 ball. On the fourth set, I broke and the forearm split at the joint.

11282375833_8b77dbd342.jpg

11282282665_5d61155764.jpg

As you can see, there isn't much wood going into the phenolic sleeve/stainless sleeve. The stainless sleeve was only 1/32 thick, so the entire joint was phenolic other than a sliver of wood. Once it snapped, I threw the butt on the floor... Then this happened.

11282216715_8ff5122207.jpg

The butt sleeve portion snapped off like a twig. What I found, astounded me. A good two thirds of the butt is hollow and threaded for the weight bolt, which is only 2 inches long. I'm surprised it hasn't broken earlier.

Looking into the butt sleeve (you can see the weight bolt).
11282270895_f5d9bce36b.jpg

Looking into the handle (notice how deep it's hollowed out).
11282314864_fb3d189a85.jpg

Conclusion:

Spend your money on something with better quality. To say this is a "cheap china cue" would be glorifying this piece of junk. I've seen better quality control on $20 Viper cues from Academy. If Dale Perry cues were once $1,000 works of art, they are far from it now.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played with what I've dubbed his Saturday night specials. Not a terrible cue for 100 bucks, but nothing a 50 players cue can't match in quality.
For cheap cues, IMO players has the highest quality at the popular price point.
Dale Perry has all but ruined his name in cues. I think it's sad to see some of the retailers out there stuck with his older, higher dollar stuff that they will never be able to sell because of what his work has become these days.
Chuck

Onecrazyplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well

Yep! I did the same as you did my friend. I bought or won a nice Dale P on the E Bay for about the same price I will say mine was a lot better looking than the one you bought. For a cue builder to build as many cues as he does and I mean 1/1 cues for such a cheap price I have no clus how more of his cue don't end up like this. His work is nice but construction is a little on the ????? Side with me. I snapped his shaft using it as a break cue. Then I just built a new one and gave the cue away.

To say the cue was not worth 100.00 would not be true. The cues he build is for players just starting or maybe don't have a lot of cash to drop into a cue. I will say this as well his cues are not made to be a break cue!!!!! I am very surprised mine did not Lego explode like yours I break hard!

100.00 worth it great starter cue! Good wood great patterns.

Construction I think after seeing yours and my shaft I would rather save my money and go with a different builder. Great post by the way!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a DP custom from 2000. It is a nice cue.
Also have a few DP ebays. They are ok to play with but lacking in quality and it shows. Worth $100. Not more.

Player Rick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure, but what SEEMS to have happened to DP cues is this. (this is purely conjecture from an amateur collector). He bought a huge overpriced CNC machine (their ad states that Dale Perry a world class cuemaker uses their machine) which allowed him to pump out cue after cue each slightly different in a very short time. Since his CNC cues weren't as well made as his older pantos, the price began to fall. My ex uses one of his early CNC models. It was made better than the one I bought for $110 and is much prettier. Instead of returning the machine, or trading it for a better model, (Custom CNC machines for cue making are expensive), he panicked, began pumping out loads of even cheaper cues, which again caused a further drop in value. I'm assuming he's making the payments on it, but its unfortunate for his reputation, and his old fans,

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure, but what SEEMS to have happened to DP cues is this. (this is purely conjecture from an amateur collector). He bought a huge overpriced CNC machine (their ad states that Dale Perry a world class cuemaker uses their machine) which allowed him to pump out cue after cue each slightly different in a very short time. Since his CNC cues weren't as well made as his older pantos, the price began to fall. My ex uses one of his early CNC models. It was made better than the one I bought for $110 and is much prettier. Instead of returning the machine, or trading it for a better model, (Custom CNC machines for cue making are expensive), he panicked, began pumping out loads of even cheaper cues, which again caused a further drop in value. I'm assuming he's making the payments on it, but its unfortunate for his reputation, and his old fans,

That sounds about right lol. The values have really dropped to say the least.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, let me say that I have read all of the previous threads on AzBilliards pertaining to Dale Perry cues and decided to buy one myself. I knew going into it it was a gamble.

I won the bidding at $100 even with $15 shipping. When the cue arrived, I was quite amused. The shaft was poorly made, the rings and collar were different diameters. The cue butt was off center to the pin, so the shaft and butt were slightly misaligned. Hardly what you would expect from a "custom maker". The cue was garbage, so it became my bar cue. I have been playing off and on with it for the past few weeks and it finally broke.

Pics to follow.

Edit-

I was using it as my break cue for a few sets of 9 ball. On the fourth set, I broke and the forearm split at the joint.

As you can see, there isn't much wood going into the phenolic sleeve/stainless sleeve. The stainless sleeve was only 1/32 thick, so the entire joint was phenolic other than a sliver of wood. Once it snapped, I threw the butt on the floor... Then this happened.

The butt sleeve portion snapped off like a twig. What I found, astounded me. A good two thirds of the butt is hollow and threaded for the weight bolt, which is only 2 inches long. I'm surprised it hasn't broken earlier.

Conclusion:

Spend your money on something with better quality. To say this is a "cheap china cue" would be glorifying this piece of junk. I've seen better quality control on $20 Viper cues from Academy. If Dale Perry cues were once $1,000 works of art, they are far from it now.

I totally agree.

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
My 2 cents

Hello,
I am trying to be as completely UNBIASED as possible as the fact that I personally like Dale Perry and all of my interactions with him were all positive as well as the fact that I like playing with his cues that I have.

I agree with most of what you are saying (above this post), however cues are meant to be used one way, to hit the ball with a linear forward tip stroke and when used otherwise any cue can be as delicate as glass when impact occurs in other fashions (throwing it on the floor).

I have bought 6 cues from Dale in the last 4 months and have only had one issue, which oddly enough is the same exact issue where the butt broke exactly at the same point, where the thick weight bolt ends directly at the end of the wrap. However that happened in shipping by FedEx and I had insurance that covered the incident. Again I am trying to be completely unbiased, the shaft and butt were in an inexpensive 1x1 vinyl covered oval HARD case and the shaft was fine... It is a little discouraging seeing your pictures and seeing mine in front of me sitting here on my desk as a decoration now. IT IS THE SAME EXACT break point.

My thoughts on the way these cues are built/engineered unfortunately tells me that 3/8" of maple surrounding the weight bolt and the fact that where that weight bolt ends, would absolutely be the weakest point in the cue. That being said, baseball bats also break at a certain point right above the handle when they are not hit with properly all of the time. It is wood and weird things can happen depending on usage.

If I were the cuemaker and if it were my decision (which it is not), I would highly consider other methods of adding weight like a thinner longer bolt like Pierce, Olivier, Josey and a lot of the other custom cues are made. I think this adds a lot more "meat" on the cue and would result in a stronger built cue.

Otherwise, my Dale Perry spalted cocobolo cue (which I own 2 of the 3 he made with this precious wood he had) is one of my favorites in my personal collection to play with and look at.

I do overall like the radial shaft I ordered with my DP as well as the Stage IV shaft. My only thoughts on the shafts are that I like a little more of a pro taper as well as my preference for 12 mm ferrule tip which I will turn down myself sometime soon when I have time.

So all in all, my opinion would be in the middle with DP. We know what they say about opinions, they are just like a**holes, we all have one, so form your own from more than one experience, not just a horror story of one, because I guaranty there is a nightmare story/experience from someone from every cuemaker out there including whomever you consider to be the best...

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 5,299
  • photo 1 (3).jpg
    photo 1 (3).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 5,206
  • IMG_8306.jpg
    IMG_8306.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 5,366
  • IMG_8305.jpg
    IMG_8305.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 5,518

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,
I am trying to be as completely UNBIASED as possible as the fact that I personally like Dale Perry and all of my interactions with him were all positive as well as the fact that I like playing with his cues that I have.

I agree with most of what you are saying (above this post), however cues are meant to be used one way, to hit the ball with a linear forward tip stroke and when used otherwise any cue can be as delicate as glass when impact occurs in other fashions (throwing it on the floor).

I have bought 6 cues from Dale in the last 4 months and have only had one issue, which oddly enough is the same exact issue where the butt broke exactly at the same point, where the thick weight bolt ends directly at the end of the wrap. However that happened in shipping by FedEx and I had insurance that covered the incident. Again I am trying to be completely unbiased, the shaft and butt were in an inexpensive 1x1 vinyl covered oval HARD case and the shaft was fine... It is a little discouraging seeing your pictures and seeing mine in front of me sitting here on my desk as a decoration now. IT IS THE SAME EXACT break point.

My thoughts on the way these cues are built/engineered unfortunately tells me that 3/8" of maple surrounding the weight bolt and the fact that where that weight bolt ends, would absolutely be the weakest point in the cue. That being said, baseball bats also break at a certain point right above the handle when they are not hit with properly all of the time. It is wood and weird things can happen depending on usage.

If I were the cuemaker and if it were my decision (which it is not), I would highly consider other methods of adding weight like a thinner longer bolt like Pierce, Olivier, Josey and a lot of the other custom cues are made. I think this adds a lot more "meat" on the cue and would result in a stronger built cue.

Otherwise, my Dale Perry spalted cocobolo cue (which I own 2 of the 3 he made with this precious wood he had) is one of my favorites in my personal collection to play with and look at.

I do overall like the radial shaft I ordered with my DP as well as the Stage IV shaft. My only thoughts on the shafts are that I like a little more of a pro taper as well as my preference for 12 mm ferrule tip which I will turn down myself sometime soon when I have time.

So all in all, my opinion would be in the middle with DP. We know what they say about opinions, they are just like a**holes, we all have one, so form your own from more than one experience, not just a horror story of one, because I guaranty there is a nightmare story/experience from someone from every cuemaker out there including whomever you consider to be the best...

I guess the truth is comming out, you get what you pay for, maybe less LOL.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I call BS

Pics to follow.

Edit-

Conclusion:

I dont care if this was made of brittle glass, chucking this on the floor would not do this much damage, what really happened?? youre going to bash someone bc you have a temper is not cool, I have owned a DP from ebay, which are NOT custom Perry's, and although they play terrible they are not this, and I used mine for a year as a break cue and I never has an issue.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and BTW Dave_M, I think I was bidding against you on that particular broken cue on eBay, I lost...

Lol, that's funny. What's funnier is I was going to bid on the same one you bought too!

I guess the truth is comming out, you get what you pay for, maybe less LOL.

If it weren't for reviews on AZ, I would have bought 2 or 3 Dale Perry's by now. Given the reviews, I chunked the cue in the trash and didn't bother contacting him.

I dont care if this was made of brittle glass, chucking this on the floor would not do this much damage, what really happened?? youre going to bash someone bc you have a temper is not cool, I have owned a DP from ebay, which are NOT custom Perry's, and although they play terrible they are not this, and I used mine for a year as a break cue and I never has an issue.

Woah Woah Woah! Before you start jumping all over me, I will explain in depth what happened. Fast forward to after the joint split.

I turned around 180 degrees.
Cue butt in my right hand, joint section in my left.
I tossed the cue, side armed and it struck the floor as if I had tossed a dirty shirt off my back onto the laundry room floor.
The floor, in which it struck, is solid concrete. That's how the entire bar/pool room is. I can take pictures if you don't believe me.

I walked to the bar and got a beer. The guy I was playing the sets with, came up to me and said "Man you destroyed that thing."
I said, "Yea... the joint snapped in half."
He replied, "And the butt too!!" *handing me the destroyed cue he had picked up from the floor*

Go look at those pictures again... You see any huge marks like I was abusing it? NO! You don't...

Mind you, I broke about 30 racks with it before it snapped. That's 30 times it was slung 25+ mph into a cue ball. That's 30 times it did not snap.

Do I need further proof for you when just a few posts above, another cue broke in a similar manner from shipping. FROM SHIPPING! It was in a cue case...

(The short while I did get to play with my DP cue, I thought it had a decent hit for a cheap cue, but that's what it was... cheap)

Last edited:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Lol, that's funny. What's funnier is I was going to bid on the same one you bought too!

If it weren't for reviews on AZ, I would have bought 2 or 3 Dale Perry's by now. Given the reviews, I chunked the cue in the trash and didn't bother contacting him.

Woah Woah Woah! Before you start jumping all over me, I will explain in depth what happened. Fast forward to after the joint split.

I turned around 180 degrees.
Cue butt in my right hand, joint section in my left.
I tossed the cue, side armed and it struck the floor as if I had tossed a dirty shirt off my back onto the laundry room floor.
The floor, in which it struck, is solid concrete. That's how the entire bar/pool room is. I can take pictures if you don't believe me.

I walked to the bar and got a beer. The guy I was playing the sets with, came up to me and said "Man you destroyed that thing."
I said, "Yea... the joint snapped in half."
He replied, "And the butt too!!" *handing me the destroyed cue he had picked up from the floor*

Go look at those pictures again... You see any huge marks like I was abusing it? NO! You don't...

Mind you, I broke about 30 racks with it before it snapped. That's 30 times it was slung 25+ mph into a cue ball. That's 30 times it did not snap.

Do I need further proof for you when just a few posts above, another cue broke in a similar manner from shipping. FROM SHIPPING! It was in a cue case...

(The short while I did get to play with my DP cue, I thought it had a decent hit for a cheap cue, but that's what it was... cheap)
I dont disagree with you on them not being the best quality, and im certainly not bashing you, that wasnt my intention. as we have all seen at one point or another theres always someone who loses his temper and bangs his butt end on floor, then the shaft on table, then butt again, over and over, their cue looks like it was used in a dog training police academy.(Iknow you didnt you said) things with joints lose stability, im just saying, that a cue has its limits, but you may have been unlucky and got a lemon, Dale perry screwed his original custom cue customers by making this shit and making them lose value, do you ever see one for sale here? Plus I think they are getting worse, you see the jump cues he sells, they were meant to be play cues but got screwed up in the built process, WHO MAKES A JUMP CUE WITH A RADIAL PIN?? LOL, IM SORRY THIS HAPPENED TO YOU, but you shouldnt be throwing it, just saying:thumbup:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
oh, and stone brewery is my favorite too, arrogant bastard ale is my all time favorite, im a home brewer, but stone is what i drink when I buy, Budweiser should be ashamed of selling dirty water and people who buy it should be ashamed of drinking it. CHEERS

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+1 on the stone...I like their IPA and the A.B. ...Sierra Nevada ain't half bad either...

Oh and just to stay on topic...This cure review stopped me from buying a DP...Thanks! It looked like a lot of cue for the money and I figured I might buy one as a cheap throw around cue...Glad I didn't

charlietango7

Registered
Dale Perry Cues

I have 5 of his cues... I bought my first ($800) about 15 years ago, then the second ($900) about 14 years ago. Playing fairly hard with the second... Then a year or so later I added an older used one ($200) and the next couple of years 2 more. A $300 and $200, now play mostly with these two cues... The only problem I have ever had, is with my "friends" grabbing my cue and giving it a test hit when I turn my back... which has broken two ferrules at $36 each... I put in a lot of time on the table, 5 - 6 hours a day... The second and the last two cues have hundreds and hundreds of hours on them... no problems... I just which I had another one or two with lots of turquoise...! Ha Ha...!