Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page What's the Plan? 1
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-01-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepepper View Post
Thanks, Bob and Danny. And Danny, thanks for going into such detail about the opening layout. It's great to have such an accomplished player playing these puzzles with us.

The player did pocket the 10-ball with inside english off of the bottom rail holding it for this position. Spoiler: the player breaks up the cluster off of the 11-ball. But knowing that, what speed and spin would you use to go into the cluster and where would you want the cue ball to contact it and end up? And can you predict any of the resulting ball paths?

Attachment 477224
It's a bit too late to be trying to create a break ball at this juncture, this is why I liked bumping the three as it would have opened a lane for secondary break shots. At this point the ten might get a promotion - and here is the hit. I like above center rt and carom into lower section of 14 then into two, the rt should spin the stripe (ten) off the eleven and up a bit for break ball - medium stroke here as the ten will have draw. I would want to hold this one up with inside believe it or not, trying to make a full hit as possible when going into the 14. Also possible promotion to 5 but it looks a little cramped, if cue ball tangent could contact six then i like promoting the five as well - with outside spin on the white.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 12-01-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Old
  (#17)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member
bluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond repute

12-02-2017, 12:09 AM

Thanks again for the detail, guys. The player chose to use top left english with what I think is a medium-soft stroke. The cue ball passed by the 14-ball splitting the 6-ball and 12-ball, striking the 6-ball barely before the 12-ball and then striking the 5-ball full and staying put, leaving this new layout. What's the plan from here?

Name:  1G.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  195.1 KB

Old
  (#18)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-02-2017, 09:03 AM

I like 14,5 to get on that side of the line of balls. Then the 7, the two balls probably into the side and then come one or two rails from the 12 to break with the 3.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#19)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member
bluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2017, 08:23 AM

The player played the 14-ball as Bob suggested by following one rail off of the left side rail and landing here where, along with the 5-ball, the 15-ball and 6-ball are also options for the next shot. What's the plan from here?

Name:  1H.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  150.1 KB

Old
  (#20)
app4dstn
AzB Silver Member
app4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2017, 11:28 AM

Does the 6 have a full hole opening to the MLH pocket? To the LLH pocket?

At this point the 3 ball cluster in the middle is problematic for my ability. I liked the 14-5 play but where it lays now I don't feel great about where I'll be if I do take the 5 now. Maybe draw back to next go to LLH pocket next or stun float past down to the bottom rail (or not) and be shooting toward the RMH pocket.

But now I'm hoping the 6 is make able to follow and be below the tangent line for the 10, 10 to LRH pocket, 1-rail to deal w a more spread set , maybe something to LHM pocket...if I don't shoot the 5 now

If the CB were further or closer to the rail I'd take the 5 now.

(Just analysis questions I want to see what Bob Jewett would do)
(My high run is 21)

Great thread idea!

Old
  (#21)
app4dstn
AzB Silver Member
app4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond reputeapp4dstn has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2017, 12:14 PM

Looking at it more I like the stun float on 5 going between 8 and 3 and not going to the rail. Get past the 3-8 line and then recalculate.

Old
  (#22)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

12-04-2017, 09:41 AM

app4dstn, thanks for contributing! I had a hard time following your pocket abbreviations, but I figured it might be a labeling system I'm just not familiar with.

The player did pocket the 5-ball, so Bob's end pattern from the 14-ball is still intact. Here's where the player ended up. Spoiler: The player plays the 7-ball, but what's the best way to do so for whatever is next? The shot on the 7-ball isn't perfectly straight but has a very slight downtable angle.

Name:  1i.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  176.2 KB

Last edited by bluepepper; 12-04-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Old
  (#23)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

12-04-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
app4dstn, thanks for contributing! I had a hard time following your pocket abbreviations, but I figured it might be a labeling system I'm just not familiar with.

The player did pocket the 5-ball, so Bob's end pattern from the 14-ball is still intact. Here's where the player ended up. Spoiler: The player plays the 7-ball, but what's the best way to do so for whatever is next? The shot on the 7-ball isn't perfectly straight but has a very slight downtable angle.

Attachment 477580

When you get to that point there are a variety of ways to get on the 3. I would have rolled down for the stripe near the foot rail then 7 -strip in the side - 6 key ball in same side as 3 but when the balls are sitting that good there are multiple options.

To me the key to the rack was the 11 into the stripe next to the 6 to open up the cluster and what I struggle with is figuring out exactly where those balls will come to a stop. I usually just run into them and try to make sure I have an insurance ball. Not smart enough most of the time to know exactly what the layout will look like afterward.

Old
  (#24)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

12-04-2017, 06:26 PM

I like 7, 6, 15 and then 2 rails from the 12. (Maybe 1 rail.) I really don't like the balls in the middle of the table as key balls. Where you shoot the 15 depends on the exact shot you leave on the 6. Minimize cue ball movement here.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#25)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

12-05-2017, 07:36 AM

The player played a stop shot on the 7-ball to land here. Is Bob's end pattern still the way to go? Are there any other options?

Name:  1J.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  109.2 KB

Old
  (#26)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

12-05-2017, 07:40 PM

Since there are few options at the end of the run, I'll post twice per day. The player drew off of the 6-ball to land here. Any changes to Bob's end pattern? How would you play the last two balls?

Name:  1K.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  157.4 KB

Old
  (#27)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

12-06-2017, 08:05 AM

The player went to the left side rail off of the 15-ball to leave this angle on the 12-ball.

Name:  1L.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  185.7 KB

Then one rail off of the 12-ball to this position on the 3-ball break shot.

Name:  1M.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  193.5 KB

Review and Video
Old
  (#28)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

Review and Video - 12-06-2017, 08:15 AM

Review: 8, 13, 1, 4, 10, 11 into cluster, 14, 5, 7, 6, 15, 12, 3 break ball. Although you may have approached the rack differently, after reviewing the whole rack, did the player make all wise choices? How many times did he have to change his plan?

Here's the clip of Thorsten Hohmann at the 2015 Dragon Promotions and Andy Cloth World 14.1 Tournament streamed by AZBtv.

https://youtu.be/h4jsrB5DqQY

Name:  1A.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  182.2 KB

Old
  (#29)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

12-06-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Review: 8, 13, 1, 4, 10, 11 into cluster, 14, 5, 7, 6, 15, 12, 3 break ball. Although you may have approached the rack differently, after reviewing the whole rack, did the player make all wise choices? How many times did he have to change his plan?
The rack looked pretty smooth.

On the 15 ball, I think he could have played a stun shot and not gone to a cushion, which would have achieved the general goal of minimizing cue ball movement. Instead he played the roller to the cushion. The natural angle of the roll brought him to a perfect angle on the key ball. Player's choice on that one.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#30)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

12-06-2017, 06:07 PM

These look so easy until
I try them myself

the game mystifies me,makes me dog it
shots that i usually make in one pocket are
suddenly very hard

i wonder why

Last edited by deanoc; 12-08-2017 at 05:52 AM.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: