someone told me blue simonis plays faster than green simonis..is he crazy ?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
can the dye color make a difference??
for the recoed i did not believe him

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
can the dye color make a difference??
for the recoed i did not believe him

Ask RKC as he is the mechanic king. He says blue is faster because of the dye and Simonis tested it.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ask RKC as he is the mechanic king. He says blue is faster because of the dye and Simonis tested it.

i posted this in the talk to the mechanic forum because i was hoping for more educated replies than in the main forum
i know RKC often posts here
i hope he will post a reply

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
i posted this in the talk to the mechanic forum because i was hoping for more educated replies than in the main forum
i know RKC often posts here
i hope he will post a reply
i hope you are not offended that i started this thread
nor take it personal that i find it hard to believe

Not at all, my wife doesn't believe it. I only know what RKC told me and my blue is faster than the green that was on it, but that could be his stretching. Interesting to find out.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yes, Simonis 860HR blue rolls the balls a little further than the same weave in Green. The dye used in green is like comparing oil base paint to water color paint. Green is a much heavier dye compared to the blue, therefore is bonds to the cloth weave thicker than the blue does which in turn creates more resistance to a rolling ball.

PS, it also effects the stretch of the cloth when installing both cloths, green has less stretch to work with than blue has, which is enough to be noticeable when installing both colors of Simonis cloths of the same weave.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
how about that

i wouldnt have believed it either, sounds like one of the many , just silly superstitious things you hear at the pool rooms

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Simonis 860HR blue rolls the balls a little further than the same weave in Green. The dye used in green is like comparing oil base paint to water color paint. Green is a much heavier dye compared to the blue, therefore is bonds to the cloth weave thicker than the blue does which in turn creates more resistance to a rolling ball.

PS, it also effects the stretch of the cloth when installing both cloths, green has less stretch to work with than blue has, which is enough to be noticeable when installing both colors of Simonis cloths of the same weave.
A+ answer.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So since it is intrinsic to the dyes, is it fair to conclude that the same thing applies to the 300 rapide carom cloths?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

glenn
i find that hard to beleive that there is that much difference in making one color from another
but if you say so i wont disagree

JC

Coos Cues
Since the stretch index is different then you will never exactly compare apples to apples. I will be so bold as to guess that there may be more that is different about the two cloths than the color in spite of them sharing a name.

JC

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Since the stretch index is different then you will never exactly compare apples to apples. I will be so bold as to guess that there may be more that is different about the two cloths than the color in spite of them sharing a name.

JC
I think the stretch difference between green and blue has everything to do with the difference in the dye used to make green vs blue. The green Simonis 860 & 860HR vs the same cloth weave in blue even feels thicker, yet both cloths start out the same before being dyed.

JC

Coos Cues
I think the stretch difference between green and blue has everything to do with the difference in the dye used to make green vs blue. The green Simonis 860 & 860HR vs the same cloth weave in blue even feels thicker, yet both cloths start out the same before being dyed.

With all the technology available it sure seems like this shouldn't be so.

Remind me not to board the space shuttle Simonis.:eek:

JC

realkingcobra

Silver Member
With all the technology available it sure seems like this shouldn't be so.

Remind me not to board the space shuttle Simonis.:eek:

JC

I hear ya, but the only difference between the cloths is the color, yet anyone who's played 14.1 on both colors will know that the green plays more sluggish breaking out the rack vs the blue.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
When Simonis came out with the 860 that just killed playing 14.1 as 760 was the perfect cloth speed for that game. I didn't notice the speed difference between green vs blue until i played some 14.1 on the blue, that's when i first noticed there was a difference, that's when i started looking into the why is there a difference between the cloths.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
One more question on this topic of table speed. Does ball cleaning solvents make the table play faster by changing the ball friction coefficient???

I always thought that the use of ball cleaners do funny things to the table speed and amount of skids .

Kd

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker