Diamond Pro-Am Cushion Height?

Tomster

Registered
In a pool hall that I play league in lives a 3 month old Diamond Pro-Am.

For me it has never played quite right, just kind of hard work but to be honest I rarely play on Diamond's so I just presumed it was meant to play like that.

However, I had reason to buy a rail height checking widget from the pooltablefeltcloth website so I tried it on the Diamond to see if the cushions could be causing the issue.

Below are pictures of the widget laid flat against the bed cloth, and then pushed lightly against the nose of the cushion to hold it in place when the nose fits snugly into the "optimum height" groove.

As you can see there is about 3mm gap under it, roughly the same as the size of the gap between the bed cloth and the botton of the rail.

Is this the normal set up for Diamond Pro-Am's? Cloth is Simonis 760 in case that matters.

Thanks in advance.

flat.jpg

Raised.jpg

realkingcobra

Silver Member
First of all, you didn't describe anything about the playability, so that makes it hard to understand what you're talking about. And what id the measurement of the nose height on your gage in inches?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
The gauge is designed for a 1.406" nose height, which is 62.5% of a standard 2 1/4" ball. Diamond tables are typically 1.453".

To explain why it is that you may not like the way that Diamond tables play:
Diamond tables require a higher nose height because they use Artemis cushions, installed upside-down. Installing the cushion with the rounded surface facing down creates a lower contact point on the ball, than if the flat side of the cushion were facing down. This creates inconsistency in rebound speed, dependent on the speed at which a ball hits the cushion. This is also why Diamond tables tend to bank short.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The gauge is designed for a 1.406" nose height, which is 62.5% of a standard 2 1/4" ball. Diamond tables are typically 1.453".

Diamond tables require a higher nose height because they use Artemis cushions, installed upside-down. Installing the cushion with the rounded surface facing down creates a lower contact point on the ball, than if the flat side of the cushion were facing down. This creates inconsistency in rebound speed, dependent on the speed at which a ball hits the cushion. This is also why Diamond tables tend to bank short.

Sorry, but the nose height is the exact same, canvas up or down, and Diamond installs the cushions according to Artemis instructions. And they try targeting the 1 7/16" nose height to within 1/64"th. And nose height has nothing to do with the tables banking short or springy. The red and blue label rails have the same nose height, yet they do play different.

Last edited:

bradsh98

Silver Member
Sorry, but the nose height is the exact same, canvas up or down, and Diamond installs the cushions according to Artemis instructions. And they try targeting the 1 7/16" nose height to within 1/64"th. And nose height has nothing to do with the tables banking short or springy.

It's not the nose height that makes them bank short and springy... It is the contact point on the ball. When the rounded side of the cushion is facing down, the contact point is much lower.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It's not the nose height that makes them bank short and springy... It is the contact point on the ball. When the rounded side of the cushion is facing down, the contact point is much lower.

Wrong again, red and blue label, with the same Diamond black K55 cushions play differently, yet they have the same nose height....why?

bradsh98

Silver Member
Wrong again, red and blue label, with the same Diamond black K55 cushions play differently, yet they have the same nose height....why?

I'm not wrong. But if you really think so, I would love to know why you think that.
In regards to the Red and Blue label:
The back side of the cushion is lower on the Blue label... Which also changes the angle of the front side of the cushion, thereby changing the contact point on a ball, and the cross-sectional mass of the cushion at point of impact.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'm not wrong. But if you really think so, I would love to know why you think that.
The back side of the cushion is lower on the Blue label... Which also changes the angle of the front side of the cushion, thereby changing the contact point on a ball, and the cross-sectional mass of the cushion at point of impact.

Would +- one or two degrees of angle on the face of the sub-rail change the nose height ?
Just asking.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

You missed the most important part of that change, and that is to change the sub rail bevel to set the nose height of the cushions back to 1 7/16" therefore the red lable and blue label like i said, share the exact same nose height. As far as the 63 1/2% of the ball, that is exactly 1 27/64" and the +/- 1% means up or down 1/32" of an inch, down speeds up, up slows down the cue ball and object balls.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Furthermore, almost knowone knows what that 63 1/2% of the ball means or what rails it applys to, and NOT to as well.

bradsh98

Silver Member
You missed the most important part of that change, and that is to change the sub rail bevel to set the nose height of the cushions back to 1 7/16" therefore the red lable and blue label like i said, share the exact same nose height. As far as the 63 1/2% of the ball, that is exactly 1 27/64" and the +/- 1% means up or down 1/32" of an inch, down speeds up, up slows down the cue ball and object balls.

I didn't miss that at all... How else would you keep the same nose height? I'm not sure why you take such an argumentative approach. You continue to act as if you are trying to contradict me, though most of what you state is in support of the things that I've already claimed.

bradsh98

Silver Member
It looks to me like there's a gap between the bottom of the rail and the slate.

If you are referring to my illustration, it's an illusion, due to different line weights. I didn't draw slate, only an extension line from the bottom of the rail. Note: illustration does not show a cloth relief.

BrownDawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the OP's pic. It looks big enough that a piece of popcorn or something has worked its way in there. Hard to tell from the pic but if Glen says there's that much cloth relief then nevermind.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Right there in your statement, that's what I'm calling bs on, and telling you point blank you have no idea what you're talking about!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

you're trying to explain something you know nothing about

realkingcobra

Silver Member
In the OP's pic. It looks big enough that a piece of popcorn or something has worked its way in there. Hard to tell from the pic but if Glen says there's that much cloth relief then nevermind.

It's a 1/16" dado to allow room for cloth and staples so they won't effect the nose height, and because the Simonis 860 is only about 1/32" thick, you can still see just a little gap, but if it was a woven wool cloth, that's thicker so you wouldn't see any gap.

Last edited: