Promoting a pro tournament

HouTexPlayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've thought about hosting an event several times down here in Houston, a combination expo/cue show/pro tournament, but every time I run the numbers, I always come to the conclusion that the two most likely scenarios are a) make a little bit of profit or b) lose a great deal of money - the risk/reward just isn't there in my mind.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Form a LLC borrow the money put on an extravaganza ,file bankruptcy

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d like to do an annuity one day. Something like have 1MM in the stock market. Long term. No one can touch it. And every year you take out 1% (10k) to put on a tournament. This scenereo would live on indefinitely, as long as the compounded annual rate of return was greater than 1%.

You could be more risky and go to 3 or 4%, which would be an annual 30k or 40k tournament.

I do think this is possible. I don’t know the logistics of setting up a company to ensure the money is only used in this way. But the growth is easy, IMO. Just copy an aggressive IRA account:)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
garczar...And that makes you the most delusional. Glen knows 100x more about anything pool than you ever will, troll...since all you do is post bs opinions with nothing to back them up. :angry:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
Tables, yes. Promoting tournaments, kinda doubt it. BTW, if you think for one second what you say means jack-s^*t to me you're the delusional one. One last thing, do you even know what an "opinion" is?? Its a view or take on something not necessarily based on fact. That's what we do on here, give opinions. Everybody does it. Why do you find it so important to hammer me for what is simply "my take" on something? The fact that something i posted here made somebody SO mad is actually kind of entertaining. Oh yeah, did you finally figure out that Carom Cafe IS on Long Island?

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I’d like to do an annuity one day. Something like have 1MM in the stock market. Long term. No one can touch it. And every year you take out 1% (10k) to put on a tournament. This scenereo would live on indefinitely, as long as the compounded annual rate of return was greater than 1%.

You could be more risky and go to 3 or 4%, which would be an annual 30k or 40k tournament.

I do think this is possible. I don’t know the logistics of setting up a company to ensure the money is only used in this way. But the growth is easy, IMO. Just copy an aggressive IRA account:)

You're the first person that I've seen come up with this scenario besides myself. My model has a new player organization-501 c3 funded by donations from player for a membership, other organizations that like you say, in a Pool Trust... mutual fund account that produces interest. The only withdrawals that are permitted is the interest/earnings from the previous year and at a point that would be enough to put on a Pro Tour.

As the thing grew it would have 10's of millions in its base and could fund Pool all over the place maybe even world wide.

You could expect 5 to 7 percent average and I've had years I've done 10, 12, 13, 18 and over 20 percent. 10% of a million is 100k

if you accumulated 10 million that same 10% is is now a million. Thats a lot of Pool Tournaments live and on TV.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
How can you put one together?

Would it be profitable?

It can be done, but it's not easy. It only took me ten years and a dozen tournaments to find out how to turn a profit and then the players were mad at me for making money! :)

Finding sponsorship is triple tough, finding a good venue at a discount price even tougher, creating a tournament that will appeal to the players tougher still. Should I go on?

I do know of how a potentially profitable event could be staged but I'm not sure I have the desire or the ambition to do it any more. It takes WORK and plenty of it to pull off a good one and don't expect anyone to thank you for it afterwards. You must do it for your own satisfaction or not at all.

Take a look at the multiple events being staged today. They are almost all in good sized poolrooms looking to attract business to their location and create a buzz that will feed their business for a period of time before and after. Between the calcutta's, a live gate, food and drink sales, table time, etc. they might break even for the week if they're lucky. But what they have accomplished promotion wise is hard to gauge.

I could give you a tutorial on what I've learned about promoting pool tournaments over the last three to four decades but it would take a few hours via the phone and I would charge a consulting fee.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You're the first person that I've seen come up with this scenario besides myself. My model has a new player organization-501 c3 funded by donations from player for a membership, other organizations that like you say, in a Pool Trust... mutual fund account that produces interest. The only withdrawals that are permitted is the interest/earnings from the previous year and at a point that would be enough to put on a Pro Tour.

As the thing grew it would have 10's of millions in its base and could fund Pool all over the place maybe even world wide.

You could expect 5 to 7 percent average and I've had years I've done 10, 12, 13, 18 and over 20 percent. 10% of a million is 100k

if you accumulated 10 million that same 10% is is now a million. Thats a lot of Pool Tournaments live and on TV.

I say go for it....LOL

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It would work but I'm not into getting spit on.

Haven't you heard, every idea anyone's ever had has worked to straighten pool out.....until i comes right down to doing it, then for some reason, EVERYONE of all those GREAT IDEAS....fall apart!! Must be something in the water....LOL i especially like the ideas of using OTHER peoples money, much safer than using your own money!!....so American!!!

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know what Brian Parks' Fargo Rating is? :grin:

I'm kidding! Brian seems like a good dude. Just wish the APA didn't have to use him as their poster child.

Fargo of 723, the same as Jasmin Ouschan (725) and Karen Corr (723) who are also very competitive APA players! :thumbup:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Fargo of 723, the same as Jasmin Ouschan (725) and Karen Corr (723) who are also very competitive APA players! :thumbup:

Actually, Brian does not have to be a member of the APA to play. They consider the US Amateur to be an independent event with APA sponsorship. Although he receives a massive trophy for winning and no cash prize, he does get a "free" entry into the US Open 9 Ball event worth (I believe) $1000.00. Is Brian an "amateur"? First tell me what a professional pool player is and how you become one!

Lyn