Promoting a pro tournament

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can you put one together?

Would it be profitable?
Oh boy. Here we go. Seriously? Answers are: 1.Not easily. 2. No. You'll lose your shorts. RUN, don't walk away from this idea. Besides, RKC already has it all figured out. ;)

Last edited:

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And don’t forget...

...the other beat-to-death topic....what constitutes a pro?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
...the other beat-to-death topic....what constitutes a pro?

The Top 500 on the Fargo List. I'm the official bookee, everyone place your bets with me, collect from the guy that started the thread.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The Top 500 on the Fargo List. I'm the official bookee, everyone place your bets with me, collect from the guy that started the thread.

Bookee?
Sounds like you got the same amount of experience at booking as the OP has at
running tournaments.
:grin:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Bookee?
Sounds like you got the same amount of experience at booking as the OP has at
running tournaments.
:grin:

The details are all in how you spell things. I didn't say I was a Bookie so now its all legal.

I am the Bookee so give me your moneee!

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Would it be profitable?

Respecting the OP's question. No is the short answer. There's a lot of things that go into it were I to boil it down......You need added money to draw the Pros out and the room owners sometimes really don't need you there if you're going to use Pool Rooms so it ends up being very tricky the way you arrange things, if you intend to sleep in a hotel vs. your car etc and if you intend to get paid. There is a lot to it and its not like the old days when some of these companies supported the events in my opinion.

Pool is a Product and in order for companies to pony up added money, you have to prove to them that they are going to get eyeballs to justify the money they give you.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You sure like pushing his buttons, dont you.
This topic is almost as old as "what's the best ld shaft". Dude should know, if he's been on here any time at all, that the "i want to promote pro pool" deal is like stepping in quicksand. If he thinks someone is going to hold his hand and walk him thru this then he's more delusional than RKC. If that's possible.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Anyone know what Brian Parks' Fargo Rating is? :grin:

I'm kidding! Brian seems like a good dude. Just wish the APA didn't have to use him as their poster child.

HouTexPlayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put on large scale events in the oil and gas industry for a living so this is an interesting topic for me. In response:

1) In order to put one together, I would say that it would need to be more broad than just a pro tournament - maybe have the tournament with an expo and a couple of clinics attached to it - promote the clinics and expo directly to the local league players - you need people on site and engaged beyond just watching the pros play.

2) You wouldn't be able to do it profitably without a) gate revenue, b) sponsor revenue and c) some type of small trade show attached to it imho.

You'd need to secure sponsorship from local companies, have a defined set of features and benefits that each would receive, plus negotiate a very good contract with whatever venue you host it at and whatever hotel you utilize for sleeping rooms. I'd probably try and have it an upscale(ish) hotel and tie discounted rental for the tournament room/expo into the number of room nights that the hotel will receive from players/spectators. You'd also need to work directly with a table mfg if you did it in a hotel - sponsorship of the event plus cash if they agree to install and remove the tables you need for the tournament.

Even if you do everything right on the front end, I wouldn't proceed with the event until I had enough sponsor dollars committed to cover my venue, table and marketing costs, plus the added money. Just my .02.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put on large scale events in the oil and gas industry for a living so this is an interesting topic for me. In response:

1) To do it correctly would take some significant work yes.

2) You wouldn't be able to do it profitably without a) gate revenue, b) sponsor revenue and c) some type of small trade show attached to it imho.

You'd need to secure sponsorship from local companies, have a defined set of features and benefits that each would receive, plus negotiate a very good contract with whatever venue you host it at and whatever hotel you utilize for sleeping rooms. I'd probably try and have it an upscale(ish) hotel and tie discounted rental for the tournament room into the number of room nights that the hotel will receive from players/spectators.

Even if you do everything right on the front end, I wouldn't proceed with the event until I had enough sponsor dollars committed to cover my venue and marketing costs, plus the added money. Just my .02.
Well said. Pretty much covered all the bases.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

Would it be profitable?

Steve,

As another poster said, "this thread subject has been beaten to death". Yes, NO is the answer!

If you really want to proceed, take a few days and attend the Super Billiards Expo next month. Spend a few hours talking with Allen Hopkins. If, after speaking with him, you still wish to proceed, have at it! Pro pool is a money pit in the US. Amateur league pool is thriving.

On the positive side, pool is being subtlety promoted on tv on a regular basis. Just watch how many commercials have a pool table in the background. Notice how much fun the "players" are having? Sadly, it's nearly always a bar table.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Even if you do everything right on the front end, I wouldn't proceed with the event until I had enough sponsor dollars committed to cover my venue, table and marketing costs, plus the added money. Just my .02.

The sad thing is you wouldn't get it. The sponsors in this industry wouldn't touch it until you had everything in place and only to suit them. You would be 100% a sole proprietorship on this. I even thought once about forming committees and selling shares of the event to the people on the committees and each committee member had to come up with low investment to get a stake of the proceeds in the event but.....

You could everything right and still get lackluster attendance unless you have everything including geographical location right.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Attendance? What?!

If a large audience is the goal, pool is not the means.

The sad thing is you wouldn't get it. The sponsors in this industry wouldn't touch it until you had everything in place and only to suit them. You would be 100% a sole proprietorship on this. I even thought once about forming committees and selling shares of the event to the people on the committees and each committee member had to come up with low investment to get a stake of the proceeds in the event but.....

You could everything right and still get lackluster attendance unless you have everything including geographical location right.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny DiLiberto has a good line...

This reminds me of one of my favorite Danny DiLiberto lines, something like "You don't shoot that unless you hate your money."

It seems like if you want to promote pro pool, you have to have a love of pool and a hate for your money.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
This reminds me of one of my favorite Danny DiLiberto lines, something like "You don't shoot that unless you hate your money."

It seems like if you want to promote pro pool, you have to have a love of pool and a hate for your money.

Probably right. I would say to add to that.....if you want to promote Pool you choose to do 1 of 2 things. I want to make a few extra bucks running weekend events or you try to mould Pool into a product for mass consumption.