"New" Palmer Cues

Jcat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because of eyesight and failing health i quit playing pool about 7 years ago. Finally, there was an APA league in my area and i started playing again figuring i could be competitive in a handicap league. I was a wanna be cue builder back in the 90's and still had a few of my cues to play with but decided to try a few of the cheap ones on ebay just to see how far, if any, some of the Chinese makers had come. I purchased a Palmer (new palmer, not the old collectible palmer) for $89 and was very surprised how well it looked and played. It actually hit better than the cues i made, better than the DP cues i have, better than the Huebler i have, and better than the Mcdermot i have. As far as the construction, the butt is real inlays, but, contrary to the listing on ebay, the forearm is not inlaid as far as i can tell but I DON'T CARE LOL. The cue "fits" me and my stroke better than any cue i have ever shot with and only cost $89!!! Let me see, $89 versus the $1,800 cue staying in the case? For me its a no brainer, but might not work for you. Moral of this story, dont be afraid to give one of these cheap cues a try (no i dont know any of them or work for Palmer)
PS: i bought a "real" Palmer back in 1973 for $225 from their catalog while i was stationed in Turkey. while home on leave a few years later i accidentally broke it over some guys head. thats about a $2,000 "accident". never said i was a genius, just a pool player lol.

MrPoolZen

Rack Em!
Silver Member
New Palmer Cues are solid!

I own 7 of the new Palmer cues you are referring to. Excellent shaft wood with the short ferrules and layered tips. I recommend the
radial pin Palmers, for anyone considering an inexpensive player with a solid
wood to wood joint. You will be very happy, I promise!

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Because of eyesight and failing health i quit playing pool about 7 years ago. Finally, there was an APA league in my area and i started playing again figuring i could be competitive in a handicap league. I was a wanna be cue builder back in the 90's and still had a few of my cues to play with but decided to try a few of the cheap ones on ebay just to see how far, if any, some of the Chinese makers had come. I purchased a Palmer (new palmer, not the old collectible palmer) for $89 and was very surprised how well it looked and played. It actually hit better than the cues i made, better than the DP cues i have, better than the Huebler i have, and better than the Mcdermot i have. As far as the construction, the butt is real inlays, but, contrary to the listing on ebay, the forearm is not inlaid as far as i can tell but I DON'T CARE LOL. The cue "fits" me and my stroke better than any cue i have ever shot with and only cost $89!!! Let me see, $89 versus the $1,800 cue staying in the case? For me its a no brainer, but might not work for you. Moral of this story, dont be afraid to give one of these cheap cues a try (no i dont know any of them or work for Palmer)
PS: i bought a "real" Palmer back in 1973 for $225 from their catalog while i was stationed in Turkey. while home on leave a few years later i accidentally broke it over some guys head. thats about a $2,000 "accident". never said i was a genius, just a pool player lol.

Post a photo of your Palmer import and while your at it please post a photo one of the cues you build, I would like to see your work.

Thanks

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You never know with "cheap" cues" Twenty years ago I picked thru about 100 $40 cues for my ten year old son at one of those large national sports retailers and the cue that i bought, we still have today and I could substitute it for one of my $2,000 cues in a match and not skip a beat in terms of playability- you just never know - I also have a $99 Dale Perry that I have used at times to win large tournaments- so you really just never know, most of it is individual playing style and how the cue matches up to your preferences- not price.