Accu-Stats: Johnny Archer vs. "St. Louis" Louis Roberts

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Just picked it up thru my Video-of-the-Month Club membership.

I was looking up off-the-wall matches and came across this. It's from the 1990 Lexington Open. Commentary is Billy Incardona, Grady Mathews and Jeff Carter. The loser of this match would actually go on to face Carter in the other side of the bracket.

At this point, Archer is 21 years old and has been on the pro tour for a year and a half. Louis Roberts is on the comeback trail according to Grady.

A strange rule in this 9-ball tournament is that all pocketed balls on the break come back up and are spotted if there is a scratch (on the break). The incoming player has BIH in the kitchen.

I'm watching it right now and it's amazing how huge Archer's break was compared to Louis'. Roberts had a very "meh" break.

The commentating is HILARIOUS at times, complete with Grady egging Jeff on to giving his impression of Earl Strickland. I believe you can hear Earl in the background at one point, after Jeff impersonates him, which makes it that much funnier.

The DVD ends with interviews of both players and a small synopsis by Incardona and Carter. Grady had already excused himself to head to the bar.

I know the topic of Louis Roberts comes up here from time to time. Thought I might give everyone a heads up on getting some great footage of him and a very young Johnny Archer.

A classic match-up of 2 of the sport's legends....thankfully not lost to the annals of time.

Last edited:

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Bump for those that might have missed it.

I can't stress enough about how pleased I am with my Accu-Stats Video-of-the-Month subscription. I'm not vested in them in any way, except as a satisfied customer.

I've learned quite a bit about pattern play, routes, etc. and my level of play has crept forward. It's a pretty inexpensive investment for a stronger game, not to mention the entertainment value.

Btw, I think there's only one more video of Louis Roberts. I'll be picking it up soon. Pretty sure it's a match against Strawberry Brooks. Possibly 1-pocket, I think.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Johnny misses a couple of shots early to fall behind. Louis plays pretty well, but seems then seems to make some aggressive decisions, plus a couple of 1-stroke shots. Archer eventually catches fire and his break starts to allow him to pull away. I think he makes 4 on one break and 5 on another.

It was still a fairly close match. Recommended for historical value AND the value of a good break.