Mike Sigel as a coach/house pro...opinions please

Skippy9Baller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZB is reporting that Mike will be the new house pro in Frederick (my neck of the woods). I've always had great respect and admiration for Mike's game. He was the best in the biz, when I was playing a lot.

I was curious if anyone has opinions on how he would be as a coach/instructor and as a house pro. Being a great player does not guarantee he would be "great" at either of those roles.

When I play, I usually frequent other nearby pool halls, not Champions, but I would consider going there if some of Mike's greatness could rub off on me :grin:

I look forward to hearing everyone's opinion.

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
AZB is reporting that Mike will be the new house pro in Frederick (my neck of the woods). I've always had great respect and admiration for Mike's game. He was the best in the biz, when I was playing a lot.

I was curious if anyone has opinions on how he would be as a coach/instructor and as a house pro. Being a great player does not guarantee he would be "great" at either of those roles.

When I play, I usually frequent other nearby pool halls, not Champions, but I would consider going there if some of Mike's greatness could rub off on me :grin:

Not looking good so far...:grin: I'm sure he would be great...

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hell, I just joined the APA again after a year layoff because of Sigel's presence at Champions. I am an SL7 and just took a two hour lesson from Mike and it was the best lesson I have ever had because he concentrated on my stroke, something that no one else ever did.

Just to hear Mike telling stories in the pool hall is worth the 'APA sit around and wait'. Mike has more enthusiasm in pool than anyone I have ever known, and that enthusiasm carries over into his lessons. His enthusiasm is shared by the owner Gary Allen and together they are going to try and make pool take off at this location. Already they have started a Thursday night league, something that everyone said would be impossible.

The other night we watched him run 95 balls just practicing. You can't beat this with a stick.

My best friend is working up some exciting events with Mike and Gary. He is going to post something on AZ here shortly.

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
Mike can teach anyone alive something about the game of pool. No one is above a lesson from Mike.

Skippy9Baller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell, I just joined the APA again after a year layoff because of Sigel's presence at Champions. I am an SL7 and just took a two hour lesson from Mike and it was the best lesson I have ever had because he concentrated on my stroke, something that no one else ever did.

Just to hear Mike telling stories in the pool hall is worth the 'APA sit around and wait'. Mike has more enthusiasm in pool than anyone I have ever known, and that enthusiasm carries over into his lessons. His enthusiasm is shared by the owner Gary Allen and together they are going to try and make pool take off at this location. Already they have started a Thursday night league, something that everyone said would be impossible.

The other night we watched him run 95 balls just practicing. You can't beat this with a stick.

My best friend is working up some exciting events with Mike and Gary. He is going to post something on AZ here shortly.

What league will the Thursday night be? I might be interested in that. I'm looking to play in a league in Frederick or Hagerstown.

Thanks for the feedback.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Unless they are literally lying to me on purpose to try to wreck my game, I will listen to anything a world champion has to say on how to play pool.

Mike strikes me as a pretty articulate guy and pretty well versed in the physics and details. Listen to him comment in some accustats tapes. He's not one of those "there's no such thing as deflection or throw, I dunno how I do it, just hit it good" guys.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What league will the Thursday night be? I might be interested in that. I'm looking to play in a league in Frederick or Hagerstown.

Thanks for the feedback.

I play in the Thursday night APA league - 8 ball. On Tuesday nights there are two APA leagues - 8 ball on the big tables and 9 ball on the bar tables.

Regards

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have met him a couple times. I find him arrogant and overbearing.

Great pool player? No doubt, maybe the best of all time.

Great instructor? Probably but never took a lesson from him.

Someone that I would want if I wanted a house pro dealing with the public?
Im not so sure. I would prefer a humble champion, but maybe its the confidence that made him what he is/was.

Im just a banger. I buy cues, I enjoy playing. But it isnt my life. I once looked at one of his cues and he (lets just say isnt smart or very nice).

Ken

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
I have a thought about this one...I think that by him talking about how great he was it made him shoot better by adding the pressure he needed to perform. Nothing worse for some people than sticking their foot in their own mouth.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We used to have Sunday Tournaments where the Winner's bracket was on the Big Tables & the Loser's bracket was on the Bar Boxes. We had 9 Bar Boxes & 3 Gold Crowns.

At Magoo's in Tulsa, we have a new House Pro... he's Gabe Owens

I'm sure you folks at Fredericks will enjoy Mike Sigel in your Pool Room, he'll be good for entertaining youse guys, while he beats your socks off.

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
If you are already playing at or near a BCAPL, VNEA, ACS or APA Master's level, Mike has an immence knowledge of pool to impart. If you are more of a beginner, save your money had hire someone more in tune with teaching basics. Stan, Scott and Randy come to mind. Mike's been in and out of our pool room for decades. I've watched and listened to his lessens. He knows sheit! If you watch as much as listen, you will gain an insight into why he was one of pools greatest. It will be up to you to put the knowledge to use on the table. Good luck and have fun.

Lyn

Skippy9Baller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are already playing at or near a BCAPL, VNEA, ACS or APA Master's level, Mike has an immence knowledge of pool to impart. If you are more of a beginner, save your money had hire someone more in tune with teaching basics. Stan, Scott and Randy come to mind. Mike's been in and out of our pool room for decades. I've watched and listened to his lessens. He knows sheit! If you watch as much as listen, you will gain an insight into why he was one of pools greatest. It will be up to you to put the knowledge to use on the table. Good luck and have fun.

Lyn

I just joined an APA league at Champions, so maybe some of Mike's greatness will rub off on me ;)

I'm not familiar with APA Master level. How does one hit that level?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Just join a masters league if you think you have enough game to play with 7's in your league without a handicap.

I just joined an APA league at Champions, so maybe some of Mike's greatness will rub off on me ;)

I'm not familiar with APA Master level. How does one hit that level?

Skippy9Baller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just join a masters league if you think you have enough game to play with 7's in your league without a handicap.

I was playing as a 7 in the TAP league in Hagerstown a few years back, so I'm curious to see how that translates in the APA league. Admittedly, I probably wasn't a "strong" 7 in that league, but I was pleased with it, since I don't play very much. I believe I was the underdog against some of the 7's there.

I would love to play in a masters league in the future, though. It would be a good way to match up with some better players without breaking my bank.

Thanks Tony.

Skippy

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing as a 7 in the TAP league in Hagerstown a few years back, so I'm curious to see how that translates in the APA league. Admittedly, I probably wasn't a "strong" 7 in that league, but I was pleased with it, since I don't play very much. I believe I was the underdog against some of the 7's there.

I would love to play in a masters league in the future, though. It would be a good way to match up with some better players without breaking my bank.

Thanks Tony.

Skippy

Champions in Frederick is going to try and start a Masters League. This would require getting players from the Tuesday and Thursday night leagues.

On Monday night they are trying to start a handicapped 9 ball tournament - with 2s3s4s in one bracket and 5s6s7s in another bracket.

They are also going to start a Sunday non handicapped 9 ball tournament.

Keep you ears open.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks Tony.

Skippy

Skippy,

There is a real good, strong APA Master's League in Frederick at All Star Billiards on Monday nights. You would enjoy the competition there. You will already know a lot of the good players there.
Joe