Irving Crane

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
Don't know if this one is redundant, but I wanted to say I will never forget Irving and his magic at the table. My condolences to his widow and large family he left behind. I learned much from our conversations and was grateful for his friendship. Rest in Peace Irving and may you enjoy some ice cream in the sun and a game of 14 and 1 wherever you are....

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to Buffalo NY in the year 2000 or 2001 and attended a wpba event where they were able to bring Mr. Crane to the tournament in a wheel chair. I most remember the awesome Buffalo NY people who had embraced Mr. Crane the one when you think of saying one of their own. It was so honorable.

Oklahomafats

Registered
irving crane

To the matches between him and new york fats and willie mosconi to the days of the johnston city hustlers to his legendary pocket billiards skills he will be missed irving crane'the deacon .

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
Althea.jpgJust stopped back after years away from this forum. Nice to see its still there. I started by writing my condolences to Althea, the widow of Irving Crane. Since then, she has joined her beloved husband. We often spoke of her feelings and prayers. She prayed every night for all the family and friends and named each one before going to sleep. I was deeply moved when she said I was included. She prayed to join her husband but she loved life and was grateful for her 97 years of it. I used to visit her and speak of how they met and lived. She was blind, but living still in her own home until the end. It was immaculate and tasteful. She insisted on serving tea and food, but I always insisted on helping in the kitchen. We celebrated her last birthday with a cake and tea with lemon I brought over. Her family had been over the other day. We set on the couch in the living room, she took my hand in hers and spoke of my family that has departed and hers. This brings tears to my eyes as I write this....

I spoke at both of their funerals and said my prayers for her in my heart. Saying thank you for our friendship will never be enough.

Both were very special and dear people and the game of pocket billiards is linked to their memory for me. For that I am grateful. I need not be at the table or even hold a cue in my hands to remember the voice of Mr. Crane suggesting a most subtle way of playing with his gravely, warm voice and a hint of sarcasm that sent me into rare stage-fright at the table - "Well... you hit that about twice as hard as you had to!" When Irving was in the hospital, I brought a plant over to his house and it made its way into his room. He never stopped suggesting that when he recovers, we ought to go out to get some ice cream and for some pocket billiards as he called it. "Never say pool! It's called pocket billiards."

As a concert pianist and having performed on great stages of the world without much worry, running the table while he commented and coached me was the most nerve wracking performance I gratefully remember. I can still hear his voice and it keeps me company at the table. I can also hear Althea and remember our conversations. They keep me company in life.

Althea and Irving are together forever in the love they shared.

I recorded several hours of our conversations and gave them on CDs to the Crane family. I hope that gift will be passed on within the family for many years and generations to come. Sadly, I am not sure where my originals are at this time, but I hope to find them at some point.

MurrayNevada

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
A little off topic but I have a question. I just watched an old tournament ( on YouTube) between Irving Crane and Luther Lassiter. I noticed they, especially Wimpy, kept a very short distance between their bridge and the cue ball. Was this more of a trend years ago. They sure did well with it.

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
Irving suggested this to me often as well. He believed the short bridge cut down on the movement and increased accuracy without sacrifice. At times, I find myself shortening my bridge and focusing on staying relaxed as that is the key in everything. A short bridge can be a bit stressful when you feel like freeing up your stroke for the shot. You are right, they did so well with it, but their cues where different as well. Stiffer, shorter at times and different taper. Also different kind of playing and games.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Irving suggested this to me often as well. He believed the short bridge cut down on the movement and increased accuracy without sacrifice. At times, I find myself shortening my bridge and focusing on staying relaxed as that is the key in everything. A short bridge can be a bit stressful when you feel like freeing up your stroke for the shot. You are right, they did so well with it, but their cues where different as well. Stiffer, shorter at times and different taper. Also different kind of playing and games.
Mosconi said the bridge hand should be about six inches from the cue ball in one of his instruction books from the 60s or 70s. The longer your bridge the more it exaggerates any flaw in your stroke. Joe Lawrence would put his bridge hand only a few inches from the cue ball and use almost no back stroke and was a ball pocketing machine.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Considering these guys played mainly 14.1 and most shots were 2 foot or less a short bridge made sense.
Playing rotation games there comes a time when you have muscle up and hit the shot hard so a longer bridge makes this easier.
I saw Crane run 141 balls in a tournament in Elizabeth N.J. in the early 60's.
I was about 10 feet away,just incredible to watch.