How / where to start?

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Hi all,

I have this fantasy dream of someday owning a rooms, the timeframe for this is sometime between the next 20 years and never...

I'd like to start learning about the business and business plans for owning and running a profitable room.

Does anyone know if there is any help in this space specifically around pool hall ownership and not just generic business planning?

I'm looking to understand the economics of it all, understanding they are bleak...

b

Doodlesbilliard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st Step

Apply to mange a pool room. Do it for 6 months. Then revisit first questions. Not being a smart ass.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
IMHO one of the toughest challenges before you actually open the front doors in finding the right location, Location, LOCATION. In NY & CT Pool Rooms are looked upon somewhere between a Strip Club and a hangout for ISIS. Actually in NYS, you can't even call a Pool Room a Pool Room, you have to use the term "Billiard" or "Billiards"...apparently Pool is considered a term referring to illegal wagering.

More simply put, you have to find real estate that is
1) zoned for a Billiard Club/Pool Hall
2) is of the correct square footage and
3) has a monthly rent/lease that is affordable as per your business plan.

You'll find that there's is virtually zero properties that fit this criteria. But let's say you do. Then you have to deal with other hurdles such as having the correct number parking spaces per table. Even if the you are able to surmount all of these obstacles, you'll still more than likely have to get the approval of the Building Department of the municipality in question . That too can be a harrowing, ill fated endeavor. If they don't want you in their town they can find endless ways to delay your opening (costing you rent, but with no income) and/or even torpedo it.

Let's say you get an approval. You still have to have a business plan as a guiding map to staying alive financially. Then you need to know how to keep @$$e$ in the seats. Pool halls are an endangered species in this country. There's news of one or two rooms closing almost monthly. Surprisingly, the Pool industry is experiencing boom times elsewhere in the world (go figure).

Then there's applying for a Liquor License. Had enough yet? -Z
-

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO one of the toughest challenges before you actually open the front doors in finding the right location, Location, LOCATION. In NY & CT Pool Rooms are looked upon somewhere between a Strip Club and a hangout for ISIS. Actually in NYS, you can't even call a Pool Room a Pool Room, you have to use the term "Billiard" or "Billiards"...apparently Pool is considered a term referring to illegal wagering.

More simply put, you have to find real estate that is
1) zoned for a Billiard Club/Pool Hall
2) is of the correct square footage and
3) has a monthly rent/lease that is affordable as per your business plan.

You'll find that there's is virtually zero properties that fit this criteria. But let's say you do. Then you have to deal with other hurdles such as having the correct number parking spaces per table. Even if the you are able to surmount all of these obstacles, you'll still more than likely have to get the approval of the Building Department of the municipality in question . That too can be a harrowing, ill fated endeavor. If they don't want you in their town they can find endless ways to delay your opening (costing you rent, but with no income) and/or even torpedo it.

Let's say you get an approval. You still have to have a business plan as a guiding map to staying alive financially. Then you need to know how to keep @$$e$ in the seats. Pool halls are an endangered species in this country. There's news of one or two rooms closing almost monthly. Surprisingly, the Pool industry is experiencing boom times elsewhere in the world (go figure).

Then there's applying for a Liquor License. Had enough yet? -Z
-

From my experience, the best way to go is to "own" the building. If you sign a 5 year lease and have a good successful business going, guess what? The next 5 years the rent will be higher. At that point you have 3 options,1) suck it up and pay, 2) move to another location(good luck finding another one) or 3) close up shop.
Many pool halls have gone the route of option 3 and just closed up. This country seems to thrive on greed and the building owners know that they have you by the short hairs at the end of the lease.
So...unless I were to hit the megamillions, opening a pool hall is not in my future.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
From my experience, the best way to go is to "own" the building. If you sign a 5 year lease and have a good successful business going, guess what? The next 5 years the rent will be higher. At that point you have 3 options,1) suck it up and pay, 2) move to another location(good luck finding another one) or 3) close up shop.
Many pool halls have gone the route of option 3 and just closed up. This country seems to thrive on greed and the building owners know that they have you by the short hairs at the end of the lease.
So...unless I were to hit the megamillions, opening a pool hall is not in my future.

In all the properties I lease, I negotiate the lease terms for the renewal at the time I'm negotiating the present lease. I hear what you're saying, and all my strategy buys you is one more lease term at a decent rate, so if you're battling greed it's an inevitability that it'll get you at some point. I'm in the Northeast. I don't know that negotiating the lease renewal terms at the time of the present lease is an accepted business practice elsewhere. Clearly buying the building, if you are of the means, is the best bet. There's 1 former Pool Room owner I know of here in CT that owned both the building and the business at the beginning. After he saw the writing on the wall he leased the business out and was happy to just collect rent checks. Several wannabe Pool Room owners couldn't make it work and ended up just turning the keys back over to him. No a bad business plan there for sure.

Last edited:

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Thanks

Thanks for the responses, I know the question was vague and the idea of it is a longshot at best.

I like the idea of managing the local pool hall a bit, going to talk to the owner about that.

The future is bleak, but a guy has to have some dreams left in his 40's...

b

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses, I know the question was vague and the idea of it is a longshot at best.

I like the idea of managing the local pool hall a bit, going to talk to the owner about that.

The future is bleak, but a guy has to have some dreams left in his 40's...

b

Willy, my intention was not to discourage you, but rather to prepare you and help strengthen your resolve. I have the same dream and have had it since I first started shooting pool (late 80's). I haven't given up on my dream, It's still alive, active and well.

Keep on keepin' om my brother! -Z-

Last edited:

Gary Sanossian

Nineballgs
Owning a Billiard Room

Hello to all......Please check out my new post under Billiard Room Owners Forum......I can definitely help and would love to engage in any and all discussions.......40+ years experience......and 28 upscale rooms of which I owned and operated 4......Avatar is the old golfer....nineballgs.....Hope I can help....Gary

speedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello to all......Please check out my new post under Billiard Room Owners Forum......I can definitely help and would love to engage in any and all discussions.......40+ years experience......and 28 upscale rooms of which I owned and operated 4......Avatar is the old golfer....nineballgs.....Hope I can help....Gary

The only way to make a million dollars in the pool hall business ---------start with five million!!!

Gary Sanossian

Nineballgs
The only way to make a million dollars in the pool hall business ---------start with five million!!!

You are right on.......That is why I designed and opened 28 "UPSCALE BILLIARD ROOMS"....and NOT Pool Halls......Nobody wants or will vote for a Pool Hall in their town......Now.... upscale Billiard Room.....That is a whole new concept......I should know......40+ years in the business and I NEVER used the phrase "POOL HALL".....The worst person you can have in this business is......Your typical Pool Player......They will put you right out of business......PERIOD....!!!!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You are right on.......That is why I designed and opened 28 "UPSCALE BILLIARD ROOMS"....and NOT Pool Halls......Nobody wants or will vote for a Pool Hall in their town......Now.... upscale Billiard Room.....That is a whole new concept......I should know......40+ years in the business and I NEVER used the phrase "POOL HALL".....The worst person you can have in this business is......Your typical Pool Player......They will put you right out of business......PERIOD....!!!!

Post of the year.
Jason

Gary Sanossian

Nineballgs
AMEN Jason.......If anyone has an interest in this industry......I can help....better than anyone in the country.......Been there done that and Got the Tee Shirt......Check out my post in Pool Room Owners discussion.......I started with $25,000 and turned it into over $4,000,000....Period.......I know what I am doing .......Try Me.......you will not be disappointed.......I am proud to say ....I changed the way EVERYONE plays pool today......