With about $1k to spend on the used cue market...

Choose one:

• Lomax

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Sugar Tree

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Barnhart

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Blue Grass

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • Capone

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Cem

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it's Bluegrass all the way. Primarily because of how they play, but they also hold their value decently and I really like Richard's block ringwork and wood choices. His shaft taper makes for a very stiff hit and the one cue of his I had really blew me away with how nicely balanced it was and how good it felt to play with in general.

I've heard good things from a certain member about Barnhart ;) and Sugartree gets great reviews as well but have never hit with either one. will say I'm a huge fan of Eric Crisp's wood choices. If only he were taking orders :frown:

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
Bluegrass for sure. I would put the hit of a bluegrass up against a Southwest any day. They are both wood to wood big pin cues.

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Axi series mezz with expro shaft
U will get ur money back when ur done and u will only have spend about 5 to 600 and have some extra for your pocket haha

But wanting use full 1k I'd go with mottey merry widow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Voted Sugar Tree but think Lomax, Barnhart, and Bluegrass would all be great options too. Not sure it'll be easy to find some of those for $1k though, but if you can it's hard to go wrong.

Personally I'd also look at Runde, Blackcreek, Gilbert, and Nitti.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Well you don't have any bad choices. Personally I like sugartree, bluegrass, and barnhart all about the same.

Guess my answer depends if you are putting a aftermarket shaft on them or not.

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking sugartree also but hard find one unless ugly duckling for under 1k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
3-2-1-contact

Contact each of the cuemakers that you've mentioned. Speak with them, or communicate with each as best you can. Ask questions, think about what kind of cue you want, the build details, the estimated delivery time, if they are currently even taking new orders, etc, etc. Pick which ever one of these cue makers that you think is the best fit for the job, based on the communication/s that you have with them, and their availability.
Good luck. :cool:
j2

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lomax , sugar tree , Blue Grass , are a notch better than Capone n Barnhart IMHO
I'm guessing you might get a Merry Widow from those three with minimum ring work for 1 k not sure
I'd tend to lean towards Sugar Tree , Blue Grass then Lomax ,, but I would really like to know how they are built are these guys coreing thier cues that to me would be a factor
Does anyone know how these are built

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You could buy my Nitti, then I could get a Blue Grass! :)

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would add Mike Webb to that list because for 1K you could get a nice, great playing, cue. Admittedly I am biased because I own two and Mike is a good friend but if I didn't think so highly of him I wouldn't post it here.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would add Mike Webb to that list because for 1K you could get a nice, great playing, cue. Admittedly I am biased because I own two and Mike is a good friend but if I didn't think so highly of him I wouldn't post it here.

Yep. Mike is a no bull kinda guy. His cues don't come up for resale very often either. I suspect there is a reason. :wink:

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
I just bought a Webb ebony merry widow and it is a pure shooter.

This poll was posted for a friend that's been picking my brain about cues. He's drawn to exotic woods, and will be searching the used market for the perfect cue:
19.5 ounces or a bit more
leather wrap or wrapless (no linen)
two shafts
no ivory
no cocobolo
Another contender not mentioned is a Bender merry widow.

Please keep your votes and thoughts coming!

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

This poll was posted for a friend that's been picking my brain about cues. He's drawn to exotic woods, and will be searching the used market for the perfect cue:
two shafts
no ivory
no cocobolo

DZ, all the way. Case closed. :cool:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another worth mentioning is Jerry Raunzahn(sp). I owned one and it played great. Sold it because I didn't need more than 3 cues but I would buy one again.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Another worth mentioning is Jerry Raunzahn(sp). I owned one and it played great. Sold it because I didn't need more than 3 cues but I would buy one again.

Rauenzahn cues are excellent. I heard he was about to retire and prices will rise.
Most -R- cues sell within days. You can check out his cues in the for sale section.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sugar Tree is my choice. Quality construction and they hold their value. I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing about them or their products.

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

two shafts
no ivory
no cocobolo

John K Bender.
Get in contact with him, great cues, stand-up guy, very affordable.

http://www.johnbendercues.com

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Find someone with a sugertree and play a few racks with it. You'll make up your own mind. ;)