What the F*** is wrong with me???

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I am currently an APA SL4 in both 8 & 9 ball,the last 2 race to 2 8 ball tournaments that both myself and the Indiana state APA SL7 state champ in 9 ball and finished 5/6 in 8 ball have matched up I have ran over him,I have broke and run out the 1st. game each time, second game both times dry break he runs 2/3 balls and miss then I run out. Then my next match or the rest of the tourney I play like a dog! I have also done the same to an APA 9 in 9 ball/8 in 8 ball? I do not gamble and they know that so I know they are not dumping to get me to play for money,what is going on with me???

They may be playing down to your level, meaning they just don't turn up their high gear when they play you. Plus as Tony said, it's a race to 2.

OoaaronoO

Registered
I tend to do the same thing. When I play weak players I play bad. But when I play strong players I play my best pool. It's a mental problem.

Last edited:

oshua86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It happens man, you probably played your best game possible during those matches that would be your "A" game, you can't expect to play your "A" game all the time, on average you will play your "B" game and sometimes as you can play your "A" game you can also play C or bellow, if you were to constantly run out like you were saying I doubt you would be truly a SL4 in APA. I am a SL9 in APA and I seldom see on average anyone bellow SL8 break and run that often.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol. didnt even notice.. thats what happens when typing on a phone while at a red light

You need to stop reading your phone and typing when you are behind the wheel! Red light or no red light--- It's dangerous. STOP IT!!

EasyEJL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I know anything can happen in a race to 2. My point is I play like a champ to beat the much better players then I turn right around and play like a chump.

I don't know how often you can break and run the rack in 9 ball, but if this wasn't a freak scenario you sure aren't a 4. But given how the APA calculates your skill level, it may be from having a lot of games where you shot a lot of safeties (increasing inning count) that weren't marked as safeties. That can keep your SL artificially depressed.

From all that I can make of the way the SL are determined mathematically, you could as a 4 win 100% of games, playing against 6s + up every week and never reach being a 5 if the inning counts were high enough on all the games. Effectively (but obviously not exactly) the skill level is close to a reasonable expectation of how many balls you can run with a decent spread on the balls. So the inning count vs points plays heavily into the calculation

LifeAt35mm

Registered
Lack of interest and focus....

The same thing happens to me. I think it is one of the big hurdles when jumping from intermediate to an advance player. When you play someone that you feel is less challenging, we tend to do the following:

1. Lose Focus
  2. Take shots for granted
  3. Take your opponent for granted
  4. Lose interest in the match

Why??? Because you feel like your certain get another chance at the table. When you play a better opponent on the other hand; you know if you miss, it means you will likely loss. So you focus a lot more.

For me, I know I need to work on my focus and discipline. I almost lost the first round of a small tourney last night b/c I was un-impressed by my opponents game. <---- This should never happen. Once I overcome this, then maybe I'll be a more consistent player.:eek::cool:;)

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, you may not be a 4 if you break and run often.

But to your question, its well known that most people have a let down when they play weaker players, and "bear down" (as my dad would say) when they play better players....

You are playing better agaisnt the top players because you know you wont get back to the table if you miss.....You just have to harness that concentration level no matter who you play......

I would guess your failure to concentrate against weaker players in the only thing keeping you a 4 (you are better)

Keep it going!

(not pool instructor) :eek:

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
A great champion of pocket billiards once told me - never play the opponent, only play the table. When you step up to the table its just you and the table. Easy to say, but true. Its the only way to always play your best game no matter how intimidating the opponent is.