A game called "Greed"

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At my community center the game often played is called "Greed". 15 balls are racked in no particular order as they have no value. The pockets are worth points. From the pockets on the long rail on the right from the bottom are scored 3, 2 and 1. On the left side from the bottom to the breaker are scored 5, 10, and 20. The object is to score an exact 100. Over is a loss and a scratch is an 11 point deduction. For instance a player may get 3 20's and a 10 and score 70. A miss brings up the next player and so on until a player or team get a 100 points and a win. A break and run is the goal but doesn't happen often. It's a good game for players of all skill levels on a team chosen by rolling three dice for high to low rolls. Highest roll gets the first break and the other team follows next.
If there's no winner with the first rack then it continues with a 14 ball rack just like straight pool and on until....... Defense and safetys are part of the game too. There's plenty of sharking all for fun unless there's cash involved. Mitch

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Sounds a bit like a game called "101"...except your "20" pocket was "15" on ours.
We played it on a 6x12 and had to score 101 exactly.
...no break ball though...we just re-racked.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played this game with nine o nine last month, and it was a lot of fun. I then turned my host in Boston onto the game, and he enjoyed it too. I'm thinking of trying out a "Greed" tournament down here in FL. I think players would enjoy it...although you would have to have scorekeepers for each match. Thanks Mitch! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott taught me this game last night, I have to say it's a lot of fun... a great ring game or playing singles. definitely the best "new" game I've learned a long time, try it :thumbup:

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's definitely not call shot. That's some of the fun part....especially for accuracy challenged individuals. Opening breaks are full on but later racks are played like 14.1....safety or smash 'em...all depends on the score sheet and in team play you'll hear how to play it from the rail birds. Boo's and "chicken" come out often too....Mitch

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is actually not a bad game. My brother and I usually play a pretty good session of 1 pocket on Saturday nights, makes it look like we aren't just drinking bourbon for the hell of it. So this week I mentioned this game to him and we ended up playing for like 5 hours or more. Not a bad game at all.

We had one situation arise though where I made like 25 or 30 points in an inning, but then scratched, so we were unsure if the scratch has an 11 point penalty deducted from balls made in the inning, or if the penalty negates everything made in that inning as well as an 11 point penalty. Which way are you guys playing it?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This is actually not a bad game. My brother and I usually play a pretty good session of 1 pocket on Saturday nights, makes it look like we aren't just drinking bourbon for the hell of it. So this week I mentioned this game to him and we ended up playing for like 5 hours or more. Not a bad game at all.

We had one situation arise though where I made like 25 or 30 points in an inning, but then scratched, so we were unsure if the scratch has an 11 point penalty deducted from balls made in the inning, or if the penalty negates everything made in that inning as well as an 11 point penalty. Which way are you guys playing it?

We played our 101 game that any scratch...your score goes to zero.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scratches in our game are deducted from the current inning and if a ball is made while scratching that ball gets spotted. So if a player shoots a twenty and on his next shot makes any ball but scratches, his inning score is 9. A scratch on the break spots any balls made and that player or team starts with a score of -11. A scratch puts the cue ball in the kitchen.
A scratch bringing a score to zero would make a possibly very long game IMHO. Mitch

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Scratches in our game are deducted from the current inning and if a ball is made while scratching that ball gets spotted. So if a player shoots a twenty and on his next shot makes any ball but scratches, his inning score is 9. A scratch on the break spots any balls made and that player or team starts with a score of -11. A scratch puts the cue ball in the kitchen.
A scratch bringing a score to zero would make a possibly very long game IMHO. Mitch

We had some long games...it was a 6x12....going over took you back to zero also.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We played our 101 game that any scratch...your score goes to zero.

Wow, a scratch would almost assuredly mean a loss then I would think. We did not play that, but we did play ball and a rail as an 11 point foul, as well as scratches. We deducted the foul from the inning. It was a pretty interesting game, with a little end game strategy to boot. No lead is really safe as you can stack up points pretty fast. We normally play one pocket, but this is a good change on occasion.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talking about end game strategy....I broke and ran to 98 in one rack recently and on the safety break I left the opponent no shot so he saftied me back. I then took an intentional scratch into a pocket and with the 11 point deduction I was at 87 points. My guy missed after a few shots and left me open for a 10, 3, and the win. Much easier sometimes to make more points to finish than waiting for a deuce or two ones. Mitch