Predator Revo shaft full review and deflection test

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i shoot with a Z2 and i played with a friends 12.9 REVO for about 2 hours about 2 months ago. The 12.9 hit solid and had little deflection and liked the shaft except for the shaft size. When the 12.4 came out i wanted one because of the smaller diameter. To my disappointment the 12.4 does NOT play as good as the 12.9 IMO. IMO is has more deflection than my Z2. Needless to say i sold it already and went back to the Z shaft. Did anyone else have a similar experience ?

Same experience. Very odd that that 12.4 deflects more and quite the oversight by predator. Maybe they designed it to be closer to the 314 because that's what is more popular?

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It most likely will deflect more as it has a steeper taper, making it more rigid.
Mine arrives in a few weeks. Be good to see what it is they are doing.
Neil

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The real important aspect is to keep the chalk off the shaft. The chalk is very abrasive and will wear away the carbon composite over time. After chalking the tip, wipe the shaft down to get the chalk off. Kamui and the great white make up chalks as I call them,are great,because you don't get any chalk dust on the cue shaft. In saying that the Magik Russian chalk is also very good.

WOW........not sure I want to buy a shaft for 500 bucks that is THAT sensitive......

Geeezzzz.........chalk can mess it up????

My my....all these directions just for chalking.

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deflection in a shaft is not solely due to front endmass alone. And yes that taper difference can have a significant effect on the shafts play-ability. The 12.4 should have a lower total front end mass compared to the 12.9
Chalk wears out all cue shafts, not just carbon ones.
Neil

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a used revo 12.9 for a great price and played with it for a few weeks. Couldn't get used to it and had zero confidence with it. Shots that I make consistently with ease with a 3142 or regular maple shaft just weren't going in with the revo. Sold it and got back to 3142 and my game is back to normal.

The revo reminds me a lot of the predator z shaft in terms of how much spin it generates on the cueball. I tried and gave up on the Z shaft several years ago just because of how sensitive it is to off-center hits. Very easy to unintentionally throw the object ball. One full tip of side spin with the revo produces way more spin and swerve on the cueball and way more throw on the object ball than a regular maple shaft or a 3142. I can go back and forth between regular maple and the 3142 with almost zero adjustment and play well. Not with the revo. The way it plays is very hard to get used to, at least for me. The only advantage I found was with extreme cut shots. I found that I could hit more fully and could count on the extreme spin to throw the object ball into the pocket. I'm glad I tried it, but much more glad to be back to a maple shaft.

Overall the revo is an interesting product and I might try another some day if they make one that, imo, spins the ball a little more naturally. Maybe the 12.4 plays a little differently, with the increased deflection you guys are talking about, but I'm not about to drop 4-5 bills to find out lol.

Last edited:

bob b.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rings added?

Has anyone addressed adding custom rings to match a cue? Just curious if it can be done?

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone addressed adding custom rings to match a cue? Just curious if it can be done?

So far I've only seen the thin black collar on the REVO shafts, and given what I've read about not sanding the finish, I would imagine that it isn't an option. Just my two cents.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golly.....I better not tell my solid maple shaft I've been using since the mid 80's for hours a week about that...

Lol you show your ignorance of science and common sense every time you post.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it true that chalk is abrasive to the shaft? If so that seems like a big negative for those guys who love to sit there chalking their cue for 10 seconds straight while examining a shot.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Is it true that chalk is abrasive to the shaft? If so that seems like a big negative for those guys who love to sit there chalking their cue for 10 seconds straight while examining a shot.

Lol. I use the blue mako that Chris makes & I only chalk once every turn. I sit after any miss, chalk the cue. Won't chalk again until I miss again & go sit back down. This stuff stays on the cue.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
As soon as they come out with a 3/8-10 modified pin for the 12.4mm Revo shaft, I plan to purchase one just to compare it to what I currently use.

This past weekend, I got a chance to witness four different professional players using a 12.0 mm Revo shaft with INCREDIBLE PROFICIENCY. (Don't get too excited, most pros can make a broomstick look pretty proficient.)

JoeyA

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golly.....I better not tell my solid maple shaft I've been using since the mid 80's for hours a week about that...

Are you suggesting that chalk wears down a carbon fiber revo... but not your wood shaft?

How about name some sports that wood is better than other materials?

Lets see...golf, tennis or any racket sport, baseball/softball, skiing... All use wood but performance is inferior compared to newer materials

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a used revo 12.9 for a great price and played with it for a few weeks. Couldn't get used to it and had zero confidence with it. Shots that I make consistently with ease with a 3142 or regular maple shaft just weren't going in with the revo. Sold it and got back to 3142 and my game is back to normal.

The revo reminds me a lot of the predator z shaft in terms of how much spin it generates on the cueball. I tried and gave up on the Z shaft several years ago just because of how sensitive it is to off-center hits. Very easy to unintentionally throw the object ball. One full tip of side spin with the revo produces way more spin and swerve on the cueball and way more throw on the object ball than a regular maple shaft or a 3142. I can go back and forth between regular maple and the 3142 with almost zero adjustment and play well. Not with the revo. The way it plays is very hard to get used to, at least for me. The only advantage I found was with extreme cut shots. I found that I could hit more fully and could count on the extreme spin to throw the object ball into the pocket. I'm glad I tried it, but much more glad to be back to a maple shaft.

Overall the revo is an interesting product and I might try another some day if they make one that, imo, spins the ball a little more naturally. Maybe the 12.4 plays a little differently, with the increased deflection you guys are talking about, but I'm not about to drop 4-5 bills to find out lol.

To me the Revo hits more like my old pre cat 314's, not the softer hitting and mushy 314-2's.