Difference between snooker cue, pool cue and 3 cushion cue?

pinoyincalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip size? Ferrule? Taper? Balance? Weight? anyone knows the basic principle behind why certain specs are preferred? Thank you.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That makes sense. Thank you. Sorry, don't know much about snooker and 3 cushion. I have seen snooker tables and the cues (small tip) but never really played it.

Snooker balls are 2 1/16 inches, 3 cushion balls (I think) are 2 7/16. Traditional pool balls are 2 1/4 so most people tend to use different cues for each discipline to deal with the different balls (the tables are also different).

Snooker and pool cues differ quite a lot, not sure about 3 cushion as I'm UK based and its not something we really have over here!

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
Snooker balls are 2 1/16 inches, 3 cushion balls (I think) are 2 7/16. Traditional pool balls are 2 1/4 so most people tend to use different cues for each discipline to deal with the different balls (the tables are also different).

Snooker and pool cues differ quite a lot, not sure about 3 cushion as I'm UK based and its not something we really have over here!

I didn't know 3 cushion balls were larger than traditional pool balls! I always thought they were the same size! Good to know.

Eli

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
anyone knows the basic principle behind why certain specs are preferred?

It's the difference between mass, momentum, and energy, in elastic (ball to ball contact) and inelastic (tip to CB contact) collisions.

Also note as the size of the ball changes, the mass changes by the cube (x**2) of the ratio; but the impact effects on the shaft change with the square (x**2) of the shaft diameter.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3C cues tend to be pretty stiff due to nature of the game. You're normally driving the ball(which is big and heavy) forward and not trying to stop it like in pool. I used to have a Schuler that had a 3c shaft with it and it was STIFF. Tried to play pool with it and just didn't work.