Diamonds should be removed from tables

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, as good as RonnieO plays, he seems to never miss much, and everyone posts video's of him "running out", OK, I'm sure that is not the proper snooker term, but you know what I'm saying.

How does he take it when he actually does miss ?? I've yet to see anyone post a video of him missing ???

Surprised usually.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just curious, as good as RonnieO plays, he seems to never miss much, and everyone posts video's of him "running out", OK, I'm sure that is not the proper snooker term, but you know what I'm saying.

How does he take it when he actually does miss ?? I've yet to see anyone post a video of him missing ???
I think the term you want is "making a clearance."

In the current WC he played what was obviously a safety and the commentator remarked on how much he had missed the pot by. Two of the stats that the snookerites track is potting percentage and long pot success. Ronnie will typically be in the 90%+ range in the first and maybe 60% for long pots.

He is sometimes surprised. He has been known to whack the table. On skids, he seems to take it as just a part of the game.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the OP:

I am learning, and I'm still not able to shoot bank shots consistently.

You take my diamonds you're gonna pay for the damage to my table. Meanwhile, I'm still using them. Does that make them "training wheels" (stated earlier)? And while we're at it, how about that mechanical bridge. It's a 9 ft friggin table! I play Left or Right handed, but I know when I need the bridge. :angry:

It seems that the majority of posters on this forum have grown up playing and mastered pool many years ago - how nice for you. How about some love for people who are not already at master level?

Never fear friend, you can play much better on this website.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamonds need to stay. I use the all the time. It's a basic part of a pool table.
I am curious to see if Mr Bond has some interesting story about those diamonds.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I knew a player that was soooo dumb....

How dumb was he?

...he was a diamond short of a full rail

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cannot fathom how anyone can claim to be able to shoot as well with no diamonds, as with guns.

My table, where I am intimately familiar with every damn angle, if the ball is on the side rail and four inches off the pocket, I would damn near bet even money I could make it. I'm sure I could make 10 out of 50

without diamonds, not so sure

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Diamonds, the other white meat.

Diamonds, they' re not just for breakfast anymore.

Got Diamonds?

Prior to the 1850's there weren't any diamonds at all. However, there were and still are locations on a table that very frequently need to be delineated, namely, that magical area we call The Kitchen. In other words, the diamonds are not just there for aiming, they originated as convenient reference points for a number of different reasons.

Early on, the only things marked on the rails were the baulk lines ( head string and foot string) and sometimes a center-line mark as well, which was typically indicated by driving a nail into the rail, no diamonds used yet.

But then the Irishman Michael Phelan came along (to the U.S.), and began studying cushion performance and rebound angles. He plotted and graphed - and tried all sorts of various cushion types and rail types and pocket types....

Long story short, he and Hugh Collender basically re-designed the entire European style table into a whole new animal, with cushions that were angle-cut at the pocket opening instead of rounded like snooker pockets. He countersunk the pocket irons into the rail itself, and then added a series of small rectangular markers into the rails, (evenly spaced all the way around the table) that indicated the usual baulk lines etc but could also be used as guides for calculating rebound angles.

The "diamond shape" was simply an aesthetic modification of the original rectangular markers and has no real purpose other than to look cool.

Figure 4 below shows the "old style" with obtuse cushions, pocket irons and marker nail above rail surface.
Figure 5 shows Phelans improvements, with the more reliable cushion style and countersunk pocket irons and rail marker

1855_Sci_Am_Dec_23_Phelan_Cushion-398x594.jpg

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's it I've been convinced. I'm going to the local biker bar/pool hall tonight with a hammer, ice pick and some wood putty and I'm going to remove all the diamonds from the tables.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
That's it I've been convinced. I'm going to the local biker bar/pool hall tonight with a hammer, ice pick and some wood putty and I'm going to remove all the diamonds from the tables.

you are a brave soul sir. :)

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a good argument for not having diamonds.

And the real story is that some people, who likely can't figure out how diamonds can help them, realize a need to remove them from people who actually have figured out how to use them. There is no need to argue this point,,,,,,, if you claim to be as good without using them, then it shouldn't matter to you whether anyone else uses them. If however you feel you are at a disadvantage for not using them,,,,,, well,,,,,,,figure it out.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

It was nice knowing you, Al
...could you ship your cue collection to me before going on said mission?