Imagine if pool tables had no side pockets. Would pool be more interesting to watch?

Do you think it would make pool really interesting if there were no side pockets?

It was just a thought that crossed my mind.

Another thing (that is off topic), do you think that new rules should be created for the pro's, so that watching pool would be more interesting (for the fans), and much more difficult for the pro's.

Like with bar tables for example, it is just way too easy for the pro players, and all of this new technology on pool cues is just making it easier for them (like jump cues for example, and jump cues seem to keep getting better and better).

I was just watching the CWO 8 Ball Championships from last year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n0pThAtE4c), and it those guys just played perfect 8 ball on those bar tables. It was just amazing. I really do love watching 8 ball a lot more then 9 ball, because the run outs are more difficult, and it is much more interesting to watch. But these pro's (like Skyler Woodward) play so awesome, and perfect position on everything, that they can get out on almost any type of layout after the break.

I just wish something could be done to make pool more interesting, and more difficult for the pro's. They are just too good, and these bar tables (with their perfect conditions) are just way too easy for them.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Imagining something I watched and bet on is tough to imagine not seeing it but having to imagine seeing it....

Freddie <~~~ I don't get it

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. they tried that no sides pocket idea with that exhibition match between Strickland and Appleton and everyone realized how stupid it was. It was a novel idea but one that was not going to have any legs in the long run.

2. It's very simple to make the game harder for the pros, it's just that there isn't any real governing body for professional pool and noone seems interested in trying to create one.

If you want to make the game more watchable do the following :

1. Break box and ball rules on the break from the 2016 9 Ball US Open. Why it took them that long to implement those rules is mind boggling to me.

2. 9 ball 25 second shot clock.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Let's take it a little farther............

IMG_3819.JPG

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think it would make pool really interesting if there were no side pockets?

It was just a thought that crossed my mind.

Another thing (that is off topic), do you think that new rules should be created for the pro's, so that watching pool would be more interesting (for the fans), and much more difficult for the pro's.

Like with bar tables for example, it is just way too easy for the pro players, and all of this new technology on pool cues is just making it easier for them (like jump cues for example, and jump cues seem to keep getting better and better).

I was just watching the CWO 8 Ball Championships from last year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n0pThAtE4c), and it those guys just played perfect 8 ball on those bar tables. It was just amazing. I really do love watching 8 ball a lot more then 9 ball, because the run outs are more difficult, and it is much more interesting to watch. But these pro's (like Skyler Woodward) play so awesome, and perfect position on everything, that they can get out on almost any type of layout after the break.

I just wish something could be done to make pool more interesting, and more difficult for the pro's. They are just too good, and these bar tables (with their perfect conditions) are just way too easy for them.

It's easy to fall into that line of thinking. I, for one, think it is faulty thinking, and maybe even lazy thinking.

Sure, the pros make it look easy. That does not necessarily equate to it being easy. When you see the pros seldom missing shots, you can take one of two attitudes towards it. You can say it is too easy for them, and then it becomes boring to watch and you learn nothing.

Or, you can look at your own game, and then compare it to what you see the pros actually doing. What is possible to do. If you do that, you then appreciate just how skilled the pros really are. And then you can appreciate just what it is that you are actually watching.

You say you want to make it harder for the pros. In other words, you don't want to see them run out as much, but want to see them miss more. :confused: If you want to see more misses, just watch lower level amateurs play. You can go down the totem pole and see all the misses you could ever want to see.

So, is it really that you want to see them miss more? I don't think so. Not really. I think what you really want is to be able to appreciate just what it is that you are seeing. And, that, is all in what your attitude is when watching them. No one can change that but you.

1. they tried that no sides pocket idea with that exhibition match between Strickland and Appleton and everyone realized how stupid it was. It was a novel idea but one that was not going to have any legs in the long run.

2. It's very simple to make the game harder for the pros, it's just that there isn't any real governing body for professional pool and noone seems interested in trying to create one.

If you want to make the game more watchable do the following :

1. Break box and ball rules on the break from the 2016 9 Ball US Open. Why it took them that long to implement those rules is mind boggling to me.

2. 9 ball 25 second shot clock.

Sorry for the stupid question, but what does breaking within the box mean? I can only assume it means that you can't break from the side rail.

It's easy to fall into that line of thinking. I, for one, think it is faulty thinking, and maybe even lazy thinking.

Sure, the pros make it look easy. That does not necessarily equate to it being easy. When you see the pros seldom missing shots, you can take one of two attitudes towards it. You can say it is too easy for them, and then it becomes boring to watch and you learn nothing.

Or, you can look at your own game, and then compare it to what you see the pros actually doing. What is possible to do. If you do that, you then appreciate just how skilled the pros really are. And then you can appreciate just what it is that you are actually watching.

You say you want to make it harder for the pros. In other words, you don't want to see them run out as much, but want to see them miss more. :confused: If you want to see more misses, just watch lower level amateurs play. You can go down the totem pole and see all the misses you could ever want to see.

So, is it really that you want to see them miss more? I don't think so. Not really. I think what you really want is to be able to appreciate just what it is that you are seeing. And, that, is all in what your attitude is when watching them. No one can change that but you.

No, I really do love watching the pros play. I do not enjoy watching players who do not have much skill or natural ability on the pool table.

I just think that the bar tables are just way too easy for the average pro caliber player. They should only be playing on 9 foot tables. I also hate jump cues. If I play a really good jam up safe on my oppenent, if it is not almost jam up frozen to the other ball, then with today's jump cues, he may easily be able to jump over it, and get out of the safe that I played on him. I think that at least the pros should not be allowed to use jump cues. They should have to be forced to kick out of their opponents safes. Will there become a time when players will not have to learn the skill of kick shots, because jump shots are so much easier to master?

Why can't the US be more like Europe? I heard that the European players never play on bar tables, on the European pro tour, and that there are no bar table tournaments (for the pros) in Europe, or Asia(?).

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I really do love watching the pros play.

I just think that the bar tables are just way too easy for the average pro caliber player. They should only be playing on 9 foot tables. I also hate jump cues. If I play a really good jam up safe on my oppenent, if it is not almost jam up frozen to the other ball, then with today's jump cues, he may easily be able to jump over it, and get out of the safe that I played on him. I think that at least the pros should not be allowed to use jump cues. They should have to be forced to kick out of their opponents safes. Will there become a time when players will not have to learn the skill of kick shots, because jump shots are so much easier to master?

Yes, there will be a time. That time comes when the players get good enough with cue ball control to not leave those jump shots in the first place.

See how that appreciation of what you are watching works? All you saw was that a jump was available and taken. You failed to see the inefficient safety shot due to insufficient cue ball control that led to leaving a jump shot available.

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
Accordion to scientific studies, 90% of the people do not realize that I replaced the beginning of the sentence with an instrument.

Yes, there will be a time. That time comes when the players get good enough with cue ball control to not leave those jump shots in the first place.

See how that appreciation of what you are watching works? All you saw was that a jump was available and taken. You failed to see the inefficient safety shot due to insufficient cue ball control that led to leaving a jump shot available.

Okay, so pool is getting more difficult in a way (more difficult at playing a jam up safety). With the jump cues these days, you almost have to freeze your opponent up on another ball, in order to prevent them from being able to jump over it. I seen Skyler get over a ball that looked to be maybe an inch away from the cue ball. I got almost vertical with his jump cue, and was able to get over that ball, and make a good hit.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the stupid question, but what does breaking within the box mean? I can only assume it means that you can't break from the side rail.

Got it right. It's basically a break box within the center of the kitchen. I forget if the box extends all the way out to the line/spot though. If there are any clips of the 2016 US Open floating around on Youtube, they should give you an idea.

Got it right. It's basically a break box within the center of the kitchen. I forget if the box extends all the way out to the line/spot though. If there are any clips of the 2016 US Open floating around on Youtube, they should give you an idea.

I imagine that might prevent players from using a good 2nd ball break when playing 8 ball. I do not see any issue with breaking from any point below the spot line, just so there is a rule where you must hit the head ball 1st.