Luther Lasiter's Cue

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
In the late 60's Luther Lassiter was using a cue with a $20 gold coin inlay. I think it was a Rambow with a red ferule.

Whatever happened to it?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been told that someone in Elizabeth city has the bulk of Luther's stuff.
I'm trying to find out who it is. Any tips would be appreciated.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wimpys cue

That cue with the gold piece was stolen from wimpy in Texas and we think it has finally been told who has it and hopefully he returns the cue to Wimpys Family.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been told that someone in Elizabeth city has the bulk of Luther's stuff.
I'm trying to find out who it is. Any tips would be appreciated.

If there is anything you want to know just private message me. As far as any of Wimpys stuff there isnt much and none of it is for sale or to be seen in person. Many people and collectors have tried over the years and the Family isn't interested in selling or discussing it with anyone. It does get old being bothered all the time. I am close to the Family and play on Wimpys table when I'm in the area and can answer most questions.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
If there is anything you want to know just private message me. As far as any of Wimpys stuff there isnt much and none of it is for sale or to be seen in person. Many people and collectors have tried over the years and the Family isn't interested in selling or discussing it with anyone. It does get old being bothered all the time. I am close to the Family and play on Wimpys table when I'm in the area and can answer most questions.

Don't you have a talisker made to the specs of one of his cues?

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met his grandson Nolan recently at a pool hall. Very nice young man attending a local college...

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Regarding the cues of Lassiter, there are many who think there was one elusive one, but having seen him in person in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, I can tell you he used different cues over time. For example, here he is with a dark-ferrule cue, hard to tell if it's red or black. This would have been a bit later in his career.

Attachments

• Lassiter 2.jpg
    Lassiter 2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,274

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Was it a Bushka or a Tad, or a Gina?

Many have also wondered about Luther's primary cue over the years, whether it was a Bushka, Tad, or possibly Gina. Hard to tell, though I believe this is the cue he used in 1982 and 1983 in the Legends tournaments in Atlantic City. As you can see, a white ferrule, rather than the legendary red.

Attachments

• Lassiter Cue.jpg
    Lassiter Cue.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,431

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Did he use a Martin?

Did he use a Martin cue as well? Yes, he did. Definitely early in his career, here is Luther with his Martin cue.

Attachments

• Lassiter Martin.jpg
    Lassiter Martin.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 1,241

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
A Bushka as well?

Did Luther use a Bushka as well? I think so, possibly one without a wrap, or one with the wrap worn off, hard to tell. This cue resembles the one he used in 1984 at the Catskills, in Lake Kiamesha, New York, the last of the legends tournaments of that time. Hard to tell if it's the same one, but very similar.

Attachments

• Lassiter 5.jpg
    Lassiter 5.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,232
Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Did he use a Rambow?

Did he use a Rambow as well? Yes, I think he did, probably very early in his career. His earliest book was The Modern Guide To Pocket Billiards. I only saw it in Libraries, not for sale in stores as far as I know. But in it is a picture of a well used Rambow cue in it, with a dark wrap. I assume it was Luther's, but hard to know for sure:

Attachments

• Lassiter Rambow.jpg
    Lassiter Rambow.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,226

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member

The question that I , and some of his family members want answered is the question I posted above. Where did all of his personal property go when he died? The family members themselves can only account for a very small number of things, and don't know where the rest went.
It has been said, as i mentioned above, that someone around town has the missing "stuff", so they ( the family members) just want to know who it is, and if the stuff was acquired by ethical means, or if it was stolen.

I don't need anyone to speak to the family on my behalf but thanks for the offer.

badntx

Registered
I watched Mr Lassiter play at the Le Que poolroom in downtown Houston tx in the early 70s ...He had a red marks alot marker coloring his ferrel with it . I asked him why he did that and he told me he could see the where the cue was striking the cue ball better when his eyes got tired ...First time i ever saw Cole Dixon was getting the seven from Greg Stevens .... He looked about 17 yrs old lol...

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The question that I , and some of his family members want answered is the question I posted above. Where did all of his personal property go when he died? The family members themselves can only account for a very small number of things, and don't know where the rest went.
It has been said, as i mentioned above, that someone around town has the missing "stuff", so they ( the family members) just want to know who it is, and if the stuff was acquired by ethical means, or if it was stolen.

Well stated. Having managed estates a few times, there seems to be some unanswered questions, especially if, as you say, some family members are still in doubt. Those with legal standing would include trustees, executor/executrix/personal representatives, then family members, period. I seriously doubt Luther made out a trust, much less a will, and they are very different procedures. Friends of the family, and self-appointed experts have no legal standing in the estate process, absent court appointment. If there is missing property, absent a trust, or will, then there are outstanding issues. Not opinion, this is estate law.

All the best,
WW

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lassiter

1972 I went to a Luther vs Butera exhibition match in San Diego . His shaft had the VERY small red square ferrule ..

He was one of the most decent,polite person I have ever met ...A True Champion Player imo...

I mentioned this to Dan James in a email about 2009 or 10 and he said he made after Luther asked him to . He thought he was not playing well anymore and it would help him sight the cue ball better...

He dominated Lou in 14-1 and 9 ball that day...

The cue looked like a Adams to me...