2 balls frozen to cue ball hit call

PoolFool

Judge me by my size do u?
Silver Member
This situation just occurred in a game of 9 ball. Does any one know if it is considered an illegal hit to shoot this shot on the path povided? Both balls are frozen to the cue ball and it will result in a guaranteed split hit. Some argue that the 9 takes off faster which means you must hit it fuller and is an illegal hit, others are stating it's a split hit and makes no differences.

Are there any referees out there or bca certified instructors who may know what the proper ruling here is?

Attachments

• tmp_9655-Shot Pad Picture 1-1975600866.jpg
    tmp_9655-Shot Pad Picture 1-1975600866.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 524

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if you can't prove it's illegal. then you can't prove it ain't, so tie goes to the runner I would think.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
If they lay exactly as you suggest then you will graze the 3 (the 3 will move) and this is a legal shot.

If the 3 does not move it is a foul.
If you make an obvious push shot or double hit it is also a foul (these are quite hard to judge for a ref so in most cases a foul will not be called).

slim123

The rulebook states that if the cue ball is frozen you can shoot it anywhere you like, however, if there is a space between them and your cue breaks that plane ( or passes thru that space) it is a foul in other words it's a push shot. I thought this was an unusual rule and looked it up, sounds backwards, but it is real