Cored Dufferin Conversion Playability

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I was looking for a particular cue makers cue, and I was offered one of his cues. It is quite pretty actually.

What's interesting is the the forearm and butt piece were taken from 2 separate Dufferin cues. They were both cored and then I assume the cue was assembled as normal by the cuemaker.

I would assume this was done to keep costs down, while focusing on playability.

Questions I would appreciate some feedback on:

1. My assumption is that since it is cored, that the cue would likely play very much like it would if he had made the forearm from scratch? Is this true?

2. Any reason to avoid a Dufferin conversion?

I have only seen one that I know of, it was a Treadway, but I would have had no idea it was a conversion in this case unless I was told. I know Brunswick and Titlist conversions are popular and this seems close to that in practicality.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well like all cues the joint/pin configuration, shaft wood/taper and ferrule/tip install will be a big determining factor on whether YOU think it hits and plays well.

But as far as a butt construction goes, I bet it’ll hit and sound pretty sweet.

I’m not a cuemaker but I play with fullspliced cues the majority of the time, and I would assume a cored fullsplice cue will probably have less resonance? This is purely speculation.

I personally like resonance and vibration with a high pitched tone, but some people feel a great hitting cue has very little of those attributes, I consider anything else kind of duddy and mute.

Not sure if I answered your question or not but the cue sounds interesting and I’d certainly give it a try if the price is right.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I don't think it matters at that point, Dufferin, Schmelke, etc.
You wouldn't typically core a full splice blank, so the only
reason I could see is if you are using the Duff as a short
spliced cue, or two pieces like you said.
Although it would probably work and play real good, there are a ton of variables.

This brings up an interesting subject of using full spliced blanks for short spliced cues, and to core or not to core.
I have played with many short spliced cues made from Full spliced blanks and they play very good.
Never thought to ask if they were cored or not

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
It's a common misconception that full splice cues hit better or different than a 3-piece butt, and yet again that cored cues hit different than solid. While this all may be true with newer and/or less experienced/knowledgeable makers, it shouldn't matter a bit with established makers. By the time a maker's name is known & recognized, he knows how to make a cue regardless of construction method used, and they'll all play well. The difference in woods used and balance play a much larger role than the assembly method.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a common misconception that full splice cues hit better or different than a 3-piece butt, and yet again that cored cues hit different than solid. While this all may be true with newer and/or less experienced/knowledgeable makers, it shouldn't matter a bit with established makers. By the time a maker's name is known & recognized, he knows how to make a cue regardless of construction method used, and they'll all play well. The difference in woods used and balance play a much larger role than the assembly method.

Awesome. I value your opinion. Appreciate you taking time to respond. Like your cues BTW.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Along this topic, with the dufferin logo on the butt how big of a gun drill bit (I think it is) can be used without damaging that logo?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Along this topic, with the dufferin logo on the butt how big of a gun drill bit (I think it is) can be used without damaging that logo?

The cue I am considering essentially just used the top as a half splice, and then cored it with a maple piece from a different Dufferin and then used a buttpiece also cored. So essentially used for half splice and wood.. Both Dufferins were hand picked.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member

Good question. I don't know. They're fairly deep, so probably nothing bigger than .625" I think. That may even be too much.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The dufferin logo inlay is pretty deep. 3/8" diameter is safe. 7/16" and you risk wiping out the bottom.

Kelly

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I am now lost in the meaning of conversions.
2 chopped cues, cored and joined together?

Sometimes I want to see people do a blind test to see if they can tell what construction method was used in making the cue.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sometimes I want to see people do a blind test to see if they can tell what construction method was used in making the cue.

Yeah, it's unusual, why I asked. If I had just seen the pic of the cue I would never have thought it was some unusual Dufferin conversion.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is cue in question. Guess easier to discuss with pics.

Attachments

• jc-cue-full-2.jpg
    jc-cue-full-2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 302
  • jc-cue-buttsleeve.jpg
    jc-cue-buttsleeve.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 308
  • jc-cue-joint-2.jpg
    jc-cue-joint-2.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 301
  • jc-cue-points.jpg
    jc-cue-points.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 309
  • jc-cue-wrap-back.jpg
    jc-cue-wrap-back.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 309

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really doubt that this cue is cored much past the butt sleeve. Start with a Dufferin butt, bore a hole 6 or 7 inches up the butt, cut off the butt sleeve, glue in a long enough dowel, cut the ends true, add rings, glue butt sleeve back on the cue the proceed from there with the wrap groove and inlays.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The term used to described the taking of a one piece cue and converting it into a two piece cue. Think of all those Balabushka conversions (blasphemy) LOL

I also remember when copying somebody else's cue was frown upon thus a more palatable term came to be; tribute cue.
Simply said, time is stretching the hell out of most terms. My suggestion is that if you cut more than one cue to make another you should be known as a Master Surgeon Cuemaker and all cues should carry the Frankenstein tribute label :)

Mario

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really doubt that this cue is cored much past the butt sleeve. Start with a Dufferin butt, bore a hole 6 or 7 inches up the butt, cut off the butt sleeve, glue in a long enough dowel, cut the ends true, add rings, glue butt sleeve back on the cue the proceed from there with the wrap groove and inlays.

Hi Paul,

You are super insightful. I talked to the cuemaker and he remembered the cue. That is exactly what he did in this case. I was going off what the owner said, but Joe did it exactly as you described.

Appreciate everyone that took the time to answer.