Oak in cues

ahhbach

Registered
Why is Oak not used in cue building? I have seen other exotic and not so exotic woods but never oak. Is it to brittle?

Brian Murphy

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I have an oak Titlist conversion on the way
Made from an old oak Willie Hoppe signature cue
Apparently oak is a great wood for pool cues, not the most attractive wood, not much figuring
I really like the oak Titlist cues though

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Oak

I use red oak in shafts quite often and I am working on two right now.
It is stiffer than maple but not quite as stiff as Purpleheart it is also light.
It seems to be favored by 1 pocket players. Bob

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some white oak that's incredibly figured.... unfortunately too narrow a board for guitar making, but I should yield some nice full-length butt squares out of it. White oak is a bit heavier than red...

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
24729902388_fb06786b75_b.jpg
[/url]20171123_113842 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr[/IMG]

24729901928_56442efde3_b.jpg
[/url]20171123_113926 by Louie Atienza, on Flickr[/IMG]

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a old Oak conversion I did years ago . Needed some help getting straight , but turned out pretty nice .

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
While we are talking about oak, my first oak Titlist just came in
A pretty wood in my opinion
Another Colorado cue builder

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

FrantaB

Registered
The trouble is, most oak is very "lively" wood. It is mostly just pure fluke to get a piece which does not warp somehow as you work on it. Not much of problem for making furniture, but a real PITA for anything else where more precision is needed. You don´t see oak stocked rifles because of this. In a pinch, I made an oak stock. The blank was literaly crawling around the bench as I progressed slowly on that dried and seasoned plank (three years!!). Ended up making new trigger springs (curved), as I had to bend slightly the trigger bar. Removed in the morning from the stock, it wouldn´t fit into seasoned inlet in the afternoon after some work was done on the pistol grip.

Using it in the butt part, in short pieces-not much of a problem. Try to use it full lenght-and better be prepared for all hell breaking loose. If someone use it in the cue and it stays straight, it is some exceptional wood and workmanship.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The trouble is, most oak is very "lively" wood. It is mostly just pure fluke to get a piece which does not warp somehow as you work on it. Not much of problem for making furniture, but a real PITA for anything else where more precision is needed. You don´t see oak stocked rifles because of this. In a pinch, I made an oak stock. The blank was literaly crawling around the bench as I progressed slowly on that dried and seasoned plank (three years!!). Ended up making new trigger springs (curved), as I had to bend slightly the trigger bar. Removed in the morning from the stock, it wouldn´t fit into seasoned inlet in the afternoon after some work was done on the pistol grip.

Using it in the butt part, in short pieces-not much of a problem. Try to use it full lenght-and better be prepared for all hell breaking loose. If someone use it in the cue and it stays straight, it is some exceptional wood and workmanship.

I would think a cuemaker would use very straight grained stuff, and turn it over a course of a few sessions. I'm pretty sure the cue guys are similar to the guitar guys in that they have wood stashed for many years, then start cutting it rough and let it sit may years more. I'm in the process now of having guitar woods that I've had for years, resawn, so it can sit more years before I finally feel it's time to work with it.

A lot of rifle stocks are made with very wildly figured Claro walnut, which I think has more potential to move than white oak. Yet billets large and thick enough for stocks can run into the 4-figure realm.