Closed Bridge Question For Instructors

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought I would ask our instructors, but I guess anybody can respond.

When you use the closed bridge and you loop your left index finger over the top of the shaft, sort of curling it around.......do you hold onto the shaft firmly with your left index finger? Or sort of loosely? Or in-between? Or does it depend on the shot?

r/DCP

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
image.jpg

Sometimes closed... Sometimes a V ... Sometimes like this

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

When you use the closed bridge and you loop your left index finger over the top of the shaft, sort of curling it around.......do you hold onto the shaft firmly with your left index finger? Or sort of loosely? Or in-between? Or does it depend on the shot?

r/DCP
Let me answer your questions with a couple of questions. How accurate does the placement of the front of the stick have to be? (Obviously, it is the quality of your bridge that largely determines that accuracy.) How much slop/play/inaccuracy do you have in your preferred closed bridge?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

There are different schools of thought on that. There's a style of bridging that I call the California style, because in the 80's as 9 ball started to become popular, many of the 9 ball players from Cal, used a very loose loop with a lot of air. The firmness was with their hand placement on the table. The hand didn't move, but the large loop with minimal shaft contact, allowed for an unimpeded long and flowing stroke.

Another type --- that came from the 14.1 players was a tight loop, or a clamp down on the shaft, pressing hard into the third finger. This originated from players with shorter bridge lengths and strokes.

Those were the origins of those loops. Today players use whatever feels right for them and they use it for any game. It really is a matter of personal preference, but what's consistent with all of them is that the hand must not move as the cue goes through and the cue must not be impeded as it goes through the fingers.

I prefer rotation games and prefer the California loop bridge for myself.

Last edited:

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My loop is always the same size, I just angle my wrist and bridge hand to tighten it. Angle the left wrist to the left and it tightens the bridge making it more secure with the pinky going parallel to the line of aim. The type of shot doesn't really have an influence on this - I tend to have it as tight and secure as I can without the shafts snagging. Conditions play more of a part. Some halls or just sticky, some are nicely air conditioned. The lay of the balls also is an influence. Sometimes the index finger won't even be touching the shafts, it'll just bee there to stop my cue flying in the air because I'm leant over balls and it's just an awkward shooting position.

But yeah, I try to keep the loop the same size as much as I can.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me answer your questions with a couple of questions. How accurate does the placement of the front of the stick have to be? (Obviously, it is the quality of your bridge that largely determines that accuracy.) How much slop/play/inaccuracy do you have in your preferred closed bridge?

Bob,
Not sure what you are asking here? Can you elaborate, please?

Mike

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob,
Not sure what you are asking here? Can you elaborate, please?

Mike
How much wobble can you have in your bridge before that is likely to make you miss the shot? If that allowed wobble/uncertainty/misplacement of the front of the stick is an inch, then you don't have to worry much about your bridge hand. If it turns out that the allowed wobble is more like the thickness of a dime, you need a very stable bridge. Once you know the actual requirement of stability, you can judge for yourself whether a particular bridge is suitable.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much wobble can you have in your bridge before that is likely to make you miss the shot? If that allowed wobble/uncertainty/misplacement of the front of the stick is an inch, then you don't have to worry much about your bridge hand. If it turns out that the allowed wobble is more like the thickness of a dime, you need a very stable bridge. Once you know the actual requirement of stability, you can judge for yourself whether a particular bridge is suitable.

So......the more difficult the shot the more pressure your index finger should be exerting on the shaft, making the bridge more snug and secure.

Correct?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So......the more difficult the shot the more pressure your index finger should be exerting on the shaft, making the bridge more snug and secure.

Correct?
Maybe. Lots of players who make closed bridges make really bad ones where the loop has lots of extra space for the stick to rattle around. I have no idea what your bridge looks like or whether your hand moves during the shot. But there is no reason to make the pressure higher than needed since that usually leads to binding which is another problem.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting thread. I find that my bridge for any given shot comes automatically, sometimes open, sometimes closed, but not too tight. Not all flimsy loose either. I don't think about it, but I suppose I use a closed bridge mostly when I'm applying a tip or more of top spin or side spin. I want to be sure the cue tip hits its mark hood and flush. With draw or a little 1/4 or 1/2 tip english I just bridge in accordance with what feels right for the shot, could be open or closed. The open bridge I've noticed is my go-to for longer shots, probably because it allows me to see more of the shaft in line with the shot.

I think Fran and Bob J are dead on....do what feels comfortable and stable, personal preference, and without causing unnecessary friction/binding on cue movement.

I think a solid and consistent bridge hand is the hardest thing to develop. It just seems like it from watching others. Anyhow, a good instructor could always come in handy.