Best Way to Clean Simonis?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd like to hear some different opinions on this subject. I have Simonis 860HR in green and use the blue chalk. I purchased the Simonis X thing that was supposed to pick up the chalk but found it to be pretty much worthless. I have been using a high quality microfiber towel just a little damp and going over the cloth but I worry about water and wool. I don't brush anymore but do vacuum often. Still after an hour of play, my bridge hand is dirty with chalk just like the pool hall.

acedonkeyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dirty hand frm plaing on 860 cloth

Using the Simonois X-1, will help a lot with this problem, Also, using the GRUNG with the misting cleaner from the can will help with this also.

So, if you clean, vacuum and X-1 and then the Felt cleaner and finally the grung to clear off, this is the best you are going to do to keep all chalk residue off the cloth.

Hope this helps a bit,

Respectfully,

mike 'acedonkeyace' kennedy

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Using the Simonois X-1, will help a lot with this problem, Also, using the GRUNG with the misting cleaner from the can will help with this also.

So, if you clean, vacuum and X-1 and then the Felt cleaner and finally the grung to clear off, this is the best you are going to do to keep all chalk residue off the cloth.

Hope this helps a bit,

Respectfully,

mike 'acedonkeyace' kennedy

Thanks, I didn't think too much of the X-1 so sold it. Had not heard of the GRUNG so will order some.

Steve748

Registered
I vacuum once a week and I use the X1 every morning and I find it works extremely well. I clean the X1 with the vacuum and is good to go for another week. I think it works very well and I wouldn't be without it. I take it when we play league as some tables are in desperate need of cleaning.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a lint roller, about 8” wide. It picks up all the pieces of lint that accumulate. Super fast, and don’t need to drag the vacuum out for in-between cleanings.

I too think the x3 is mostly useless. I still use it, but I think only because I spent $80 on it. Ha ha.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I use a lint roller, about 8” wide. It picks up all the pieces of lint that accumulate. Super fast, and don’t need to drag the vacuum out for in-between cleanings.

I too think the x3 is mostly useless. I still use it, but I think only because I spent $80 on it. Ha ha.

I've learned; Woolite (cleans wool) and hot water on a fiber towel. For ball cleaner I use Meguiar's car polish instead of the ball cleaners. The ball cleaners form a line on the rail cushions.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Vacuum, woolite and hot water. Also brush the rails and the table next to them before vacuum.
Jason

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I vaccum, brush with a special rail and three brush under ril brush, then regular brush, finally I go over with the X-1. n occasion, I start with the x 1 and finish with it. It works very well

rtrdriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to give my two cents worth. You can do a lot to minimize your chalk build up on your table but don't expect your friends or anyone else to help you because their habits are going to be poor. What you will notice, as I have, that once you chalk your cue, you will see an excess amount on the tip that will fly off as soon as you hit the cue ball. What I do to minimize the excess to land on the cloth is just give the tip of your cue a tap or two on the edge of the pocket to remove that excess chalk. You can actually see the chalk dust fly as you do the tap. Try to hit the padded part of the pocket so you don't damage your cue.

As for cleaning the cloth ( I have 860 Simonis ) I use the Simonis X along with vacuuming the table at least once a week. Also keeping your balls and cue ball clean is essential so the chalk that will build up won't transfer to the table. This will also prevent the balls from skidding or rolling in weird directions.

As for chalk build up on your hand; try not to grind the chalk onto the tip; and don't do this over the table. Instead take the time to brush it on or paint it on as some describe it. Guaranteed to keep you hands much cleaner plus you should be looking at the tip while doing this to see if you are missing a spot.

Last edited:

randyaz

Registered
We use one of those Red Dirt Devil hand-held vacuum cleaners. Never any need to put anything on there and then vacuum it up. Just something more to sell you that you dont need.

rtrdriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to give my two cents worth. You can do a lot to minimize your chalk build up on your table but don't expect your friends or anyone else to help you because their habits are going to be poor. What you will notice, as I have, that once you chalk your cue, you will see an excess amount on the tip that will fly off as soon as you hit the cue ball. What I do to minimize the excess to land on the cloth is just give the tip of your cue a tap or two on the edge of the pocket to remove that excess chalk. You can actually see the chalk dust fly as you do the tap. Try to hit the padded part of the pocket so you don't damage your cue.

As for cleaning the cloth ( I have 860 Simonis ) I use the Simonis X along with vacuuming the table at least once a week. Also keeping your balls and cue ball clean is essential so the chalk that will build up won't transfer to the table. This will also prevent the balls from skidding or rolling in weird directions.

As for chalk build up on your hand; try not to grind the chalk onto the tip; and don't do this over the table. Instead take the time to brush it on or paint it on as some describe it. Guaranteed to keep you hands much cleaner plus you should be looking at the tip while doing this to see if you are missing a spot.

If you can mange to do all that and still have a problem with dirty hands, you should try to wipe off the wood part of the rails once in a while because the sweat and dirt from your hands due tend to make them dirty.

Oh and I have just recently gotten into these habits and find myself doing the tapping even at the pool hall.

I am sure everyone thinks it's weird or something because it looks like I am pointing to the pocket.

oldroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing

If you can mange to do all that and still have a problem with dirty hands, you should try to wipe off the wood part of the rails once in a while because the sweat and dirt from your hands due tend to make them dirty.

Oh and I have just recently gotten into these habits and find myself doing the tapping even at the pool hall.

I am sure everyone thinks it's weird or something because it looks like I am pointing to the pocket.

tip thanks??

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
You can start by not using real messy chalks like master or predator

And using a premium chalk that stays on the tip and dirties the ball and cloth less like blue diamond and Russian magic chalk

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use a Shark rotating brush vac, X-1's, and super hot water w/Woolight. It also pays to keep your rails clean, balls clean, and your ball return system clean. We have 3 Diamonds with 860HR, 12 pool teams, league Sunday to Thursday with free pool all Sunday. Our cloth lasts over 2 years between changes and there is never any chalk build up anywhere under the cloth. The Girls also do a great job of monitoring the tables to. Absolutely no Food, Drinks, or Cigarettes allowed anywhere near the tables. YMMV, Brian.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I vacuum once a week and I use the X1 every morning and I find it works extremely well. I clean the X1 with the vacuum and is good to go for another week. I think it works very well and I wouldn't be without it. I take it when we play league as some tables are in desperate need of cleaning.

DITTO, I agree great tool

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Also watch out for guests who chalk their cue with the tip
over the table. It really adds up. Lots of people do it and they have to be told not to.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking of using one of those dirt devils, however I worried about the rotating brush hurting the cloth.

Do you use the rotating brush or do you remove the belt so the brush doesn't rotate?

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was thinking of using one of those dirt devils, however I worried about the rotating brush hurting the cloth.

Do you use the rotating brush or do you remove the belt so the brush doesn't rotate?

Mine has a switch to turn off the brush