Shane Van Boening Aiming System

Patso44

Underdog
Silver Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK-kIEzEXQ0

Take a look at this video and please give me some input on what Van Boening explains as his aiming system. There was a hour long session out in California that was on YouTube for a bit and then taken off. I got a chance to watch it before it was deleted. It goes a little further in depth but the video link above is the close I could get.

It sounds so simple but I believe from what he explains this information will not make change your game over night. You will have to practice this system a long time!

Thanks in advance for the input!!

Patrick

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK-kIEzEXQ0

Take a look at this video and please give me some input on what Van Boening explains as his aiming system. There was a hour long session out in California that was on YouTube for a bit and then taken off. I got a chance to watch it before it was deleted. It goes a little further in depth but the video link above is the close I could get.

It sounds so simple but I believe from what he explains this information will not make change your game over night. You will have to practice this system a long time!

Thanks in advance for the input!!

Patrick

The most important thing that I got from that video was that regardless of whether versions of that system already exist, Shane created it for himself, on his own. That's what makes it so powerful for him. It's his system.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
The most important thing that I got from that video was that regardless of whether versions of that system already exist, Shane created it for himself, on his own. That's what makes it so powerful for him. It's his system.

That s how i see it, too. Everyone who *learns* somehow a system has to work with it-and make it work for him- no matter which system may be. Some guys forget, that also the way you stroke does matter. Perhaps sometimes just nuances can make a big difference!

Swede59

You can call me SWEDE!
Silver Member
I've been using this system for a few months now. And IMO..its the BEST system out there. It's the missing ingredient in my game. THANKS Shane! :thumbup:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane did not create this system, its been around for a couple of decades.

It works and works well. I have been using it for at least the last 14 years. The system makes sense and is logical.

John

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BASICALLY, left cut, aim the left edge of the ferrule to the right edge of the ob. Right cut, aim the right edge of the ferrule to the left edge of the ob.

That's not what I understand him to say:

Hard cut to the left (1/4 ball hit), line up the left side of the shaft with the right edge of the OB. Medium cut to the left (1/2 ball hit), line up the center of the shaft to the right edge of the OB. Slight cut to the left (3/4 ball hit), line up the right edge of the shaft with the right edge of the OB.

And, naturally, just the opposite for cuts to the right.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not what I understand him to say:

Hard cut to the left (1/4 ball hit), line up the left side of the shaft with the right edge of the OB. Medium cut to the left (1/2 ball hit), line up the center of the shaft to the right edge of the OB. Slight cut to the left (3/4 ball hit), line up the right edge of the shaft with the right edge of the OB.

And, naturally, just the opposite for cuts to the right.

I agree that the 1/2 ball hit is center of shaft to edge of object ball. But the other two are closer to 3/8-ball hit (outer edge of shaft to edge of object ball) and 5/8-ball hit (inner edge of shaft to edge of object ball).

What's important here, of course, is the player repeatedly, consistently makes the translation between the cut angle that can be seen from above and one of these convenient references that can be seen from down low.

Up high to down low; angle to overlap

wax on; wax off

Anything that forces you to be aware of these two perspectives in close proximity in a repeatable way will be beneficial.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you miss the BASICALLY in capitol letters, and the rest of the post??

Not at all, Neil. But you made no mention of the fact that he variably uses either edge of the shaft or the center line of the shaft for cuts that are all in the same direction, all depending on the severity of the cut. No offense meant, but this is not quite the way you worded it. Just trying to clarify is all, not saying you don't understand it. :smile:

Mike, I'll go with what you say about the amount of the OB ball hit, I was just using those numbers as an example of increasing severity of cut angle. You obviously have a better handle on the actual angles than I do.

At any rate, I found this to be a pretty interesting method. I've never used any sort of aiming system, not even ghost ball. They all confuse the Bejeezus out of me. However, this method seemed simple enough to understand, so I went down to the table and played with it a bit. I think it will be useful to me for certain shots, but I think there will still be lots of adjustments to make depending upon shot distance, speed, spin, etc.

gmoney1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bert kinister

he teaches this method. left or right edge to the contact point to a certain degree cut. center of shaft to contact point up to certain angle. i worked with it and it does give a good 'framework' to go off of. i still believe envisioning the cb to contact point with a hair of outside english on cut shots is the simplest most effective way

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something else about this aiming method (which has been around a long time), I've often wondered if Lassister aimed this way because he liked having his ferrule red. I have noticed that at my age it can be a little difficult to clearly define the white of the ferrule from the white of the cb quickly. Coloring the ferrule could be quite a help with this system.

How about those light and dark striped wooden ferrules that I've seen at least one maker using on his cues? The idea is that a wooden ferrule reduces tip end mass, and therefore, deflection. However, it seems you could refine this aiming system by having more "edges" across the shaft diameter to use.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I agree that the 1/2 ball hit is center of shaft to edge of object ball. But the other two are closer to 3/8-ball hit (outer edge of shaft to edge of object ball) and 5/8-ball hit (inner edge of shaft to edge of object ball).

What's important here, of course, is the player repeatedly, consistently makes the translation between the cut angle that can be seen from above and one of these convenient references that can be seen from down low.

wax on; wax off

Anything that forces you to be aware of these two perspectives in close proximity in a repeatable way will be beneficial.

TapTapTap

Like CJ Wiley once said: "It s all about the correct perception" :)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was able to make shots with this "ferrule" aiming system in 2 seconds after I heard Shane explain it. Lined up a sharp cut on the first diamond, with the cue ball about 2 inches bellow the object ball and mid-table. Was able to cut the thing up table with no rail touching first shot and next two shots.

Other cut angles and aiming points I have not tried, and I'm also a bit scared to trust a "system" in a game vs. the natural aiming my eyes and hands do.

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
system

My biggest concern is that SVB stated..."I don't use the ghost ball system......I don't know what that is."

Are you kidding me! Anyone who knows anything about pool knows about the ghost ball system.

The fact that he intentionally leads the interviewer to believe he is unaware of the ghost ball approach would suggest he probably also intentionally misled the interviewer on the system he really uses.

I don't blame him for making the comment, I think he was trying to be kind and didn't want to tell the interviewer it was none of his business how he aimed the shot.

You can't blame SVB for wanting to keep his secrets. I think it would be foolish to think the answer he gave the interviewer was actually how SVB aims the shot.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My biggest concern is that SVB stated..."I don't use the ghost ball system......I don't know what that is."

Are you kidding me! Anyone who knows anything about pool knows about the ghost ball system.

The fact that he intentionally leads the interviewer to believe he is unaware of the ghost ball approach would suggest he probably also intentionally misled the interviewer on the system he really uses.

I don't blame him for making the comment, I think he was trying to be kind and didn't want to tell the interviewer it was none of his business how he aimed the shot.

You can't blame SVB for wanting to keep his secrets. I think it would be foolish to think the answer he gave the interviewer was actually how SVB aims the shot.

I tried to aim the exact way he explained, using the same shot he setup, worked perfectly without any aim other than pointing the ferrule where he said he does. What he may have meant was the he does not how to aim using the ghost ball not that he does not know what it is in general.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I know this seems redundant, as I've read this thread, but can someone concisely describe the system again?

From what I gather it's pretty much "always" the left side of the ferrule, the right side of the ferrule or center tip.....aimed at the outside edge of the OB.....? As in if I'm cutting to the right, I line up one of those 3 tip spots to the left edge of the OB? If I'm cutting to the left, I aim one of those 3 spots to the right edge of the OB?

It seems to me that if that's what it is for all shots, then a player could systematically line up those 3 different spots and tell which one "feels" correct.....after a certain amount of trial and error. Almost seems too easy.

I just want to get this clearly in my head.