Mezz or Jacoby

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I'm considering feeding my "cueitis bug" again later this summer. I'm thinking either a Mezz or a Jacoby. Now, I'm not going to put a ton of money into it - I'm thinking high 300 low 400. For the Mezz: the WX700 shaft.

Now since "like" is so subjective - I'll try to give you my personal tastes.

My main player is a Joss - I prefer it over my Schon. I have 2 Joss cues, and a custom handbuilt being made by Dan (hopefully done late May early June).

Now - right behind my Joss as far as "favorite" ...
My Huebler from the late 70s early 80s - and a close third (almost a tie) is a Lucasi custom I bought a couple months ago.

Both the Huebler and the Lucasi have Implex flat style collars, and tend to have a bit of a "soft" hit. (which I like). (The Joss has a SS collar and piloted joint - and has a more solid/stiff feel to it - but still is overall my main player)

I'm not interested in bling - a merry widow is likely what I'll get .. no points or inlays. Since I've come to respect a great many of you here on this forum - I'm interested in which direction you would go. (again $425 and under - just the basics)

So ...
Mezz or Jacoby?

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz, if you like the Japanese way of things and to even tweak the balance point of your shaft. However, I'm unhappy that they only do 12mm shafts and not 11. Most likely take the WX900 which is not purely soft, but soft to medium. Don't take hybrid alpha or HP, they seem to be harder.
Merry widows are absolutely stunning and you can choose a variety of woods readily (Rosewood, Cocobolo, Ebony, ...); customer care seems to be top notch, too, from what I heard.

Jacobi, if you are more of an American and are into this custom thing.

I'd take Mezz over anything, except that they have extremely long delivery times when ordered from Mezz and not in stock.

Cheers,
M

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz Mezz Mezz .
All day long , not even close im afraid in terms of fit, finish ,quality , value n bang for buck.

Turn to the dark side of mezz n never look back.

Thats what i always tell people.

If Eric Crisp of sugartree is saying excellent things bout how they are the paramount of production n custom cues, you know it definitely means something !

But if u like the jacoby feel n hit over the mezz, go with what u like best !

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I'm considering feeding my "cueitis bug" again later this summer. I'm thinking either a Mezz or a Jacoby. Now, I'm not going to put a ton of money into it - I'm thinking high 300 low 400. For the Mezz: the WX700 shaft.

My main player is a Joss - I prefer it over my Schon. I have 2 Joss cues, and a custom handbuilt being made by Dan (hopefully done late May early June).

My Huebler from the late 70s early 80s - and a close third (almost a tie) is a Lucasi custom I bought a couple months ago.

Both the Huebler and the Lucasi have Implex flat style collars, and tend to have a bit of a "soft" hit. (which I like). (The Joss has a SS collar and piloted joint - and has a more solid/stiff feel to it - but still is overall my main player)

I'm not interested in bling - a merry widow is likely what I'll get .. no points or inlays. Since I've come to respect a great many of you here on this forum - I'm interested in which direction you would go. (again $425 and under - just the basics)

So ...
Mezz or Jacoby?

If you buy and play with the Mezz, you will not go back to your Joss. Just a warning.

And the hybrid shafts play awesome, once you get rid of the factory tips. I have an EDC cue that I love. A Nitti. And a Mezz. The Mezz gets played the most. Then the Nitti, with a Mezz Hybrid Pro 2 shaft. The EDC hasn't seen daylight in over a month. Love the hit of the EDC. But the performance of the Mezz is hands down better than any cue I've played. And I've played a lot of them.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you buy and play with the Mezz, you will not go back to your Joss. Just a warning.

And the hybrid shafts play awesome, once you get rid of the factory tips. I have an EDC cue that I love. A Nitti. And a Mezz. The Mezz gets played the most. Then the Nitti, with a Mezz Hybrid Pro 2 shaft. The EDC hasn't seen daylight in over a month. Love the hit of the EDC. But the performance of the Mezz is hands down better than any cue I've played. And I've played a lot of them.

What the man says.

If he rather plays with his mezz which is prob below a thousand over his 2 thousand EDC ( used to apprentice under randy mobley ) and nitti, it reallys says alot.
We did the same thing.

I had my josey , shafts plays sweet n deflection is low for conventional, put a hybrid pro 2 on , josey shafts never seen daylight ever since.
Tried a mezz ec7 w a hp2, josey was sold.
Now hunting for an exceed, custom version of mezz, balance is superior.

Gio Sr.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

+1 here. I loved my Joss OB combo. Joss is sold. Just bought my second Mezz, an EC7- HP2 combo. Waitng on the big brown truck today.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
+1 here. I loved my Joss OB combo. Joss is sold. Just bought my second Mezz, an EC7- HP2 combo. Waitng on the big brown truck today.

As I said, I have an EDC, probably the finest custom cue I have owned and played....and it is sitting, gathering dust in a case. That's pretty strong. I have an EX Pro shaft, a WX700, and a Hybrid Pro 2. If you have a stroke, you will be like a kid in a candy store with their hybrid shafts. Just get rid of the Kamui tips. The Zans play really nice. I'm still a fan of Triangles or Duds. They play great on Mezz shafts.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an EC7-CMT (dark brown stained curly maple) with an ex pro shaft. I think this shaft is the best, but probably wouldn't be considered soft hitting. Great cue and I can use the shaft on other butts, including a Schon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz. Better value. Same quality or better cue as Jacoby for less money. And may be slightly better re-sale.

Last edited:

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never had a Mezz until recently. I must say I've sold my Joss's and I am content with either an OB shaft or the WX700. The balance and hit are just what I was looking for.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I have an EC7-CMT (dark brown stained curly maple) with an ex pro shaft. I think this shaft is the best, but probably wouldn't be considered soft hitting. Great cue and I can use the shaft on other butts, including a Schon.

The Mezz United joint is the same as a 5/16x14? .. or you got a custom pin for it?

(and thanks to all for the input - much appreciated)

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mezz United joint is the same as a 5/16x14? .. or you got a custom pin for it?

(and thanks to all for the input - much appreciated)
Mezz united fit on my Schon and another 5/16-14 custom without a problem. I know the Joss does not accommodate a big pilot but I bet it fits. I'll try my teammates Joss tonight and let you know.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So ...
Mezz or Jacoby?

Apples and oranges. Both fruit.

Mezz is a brand of a major manufacturer. Much history there with Adam etc. Well regarded. Popular.

Jacoby is a cue maker. He and his son. Most similar to Joss in this case, which is also a father/son operation. Well regarded. Popular.

Sounds like you have cueitis for sure...a lot of times people start out kind of randomly, no direction. I know I did.

What do you want? What are you after? Decide what turns your crank.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member

Mezz is a brand of a major manufacturer. Much history there with Adam etc. Well regarded. Popular.

Jacoby is a cue maker. He and his son. Most similar to Joss in this case, which is also a father/son operation. Well regarded. Popular.

Sounds like you have cueitis for sure...a lot of times people start out kind of randomly, no direction. I know I did.

Let me think this through for a bit. To be honest -Doc, your personal opinion is one I value the most on this forum. I truly cherish a good cue - and I love a lot of the ones I have. So the what and why of "buy more" is kinda hard to explain. I know that when I first hit with that $200 Lucasi .. it was a euphoria moment. Maybe not quite to the level of getting my very own first Joss - but sublime nonetheless. The "wow factor" is something I've always sought and enjoyed in life.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member

Jacoby is pretty much a production house now. They have a standard line of cues. And make cues for Predator and Schuler. And it's more than just a father/son operation.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jacoby is pretty much a production house now. They have a standard line of cues. And make cues for Predator and Schuler. And it's more than just a father/son operation.

My statement was that they were more similar to Joss than Mezz.

Like Joss has mostly a catalog of production cues, but still make customs.

Joss also produced for other brands like Biagio, Brunswick, OB, and others.

Yes, more than just father and son. But like Joss is still primarily that.

Mezz is a whole other type of operation. Much larger, with larger distribution network and they are importers.

As I said, all fruit...they all make cues.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me think this through for a bit. To be honest -Doc, your personal opinion is one I value the most on this forum. I truly cherish a good cue - and I love a lot of the ones I have. So the what and why of "buy more" is kinda hard to explain. I know that when I first hit with that $200 Lucasi .. it was a euphoria moment. Maybe not quite to the level of getting my very own first Joss - but sublime nonetheless. The "wow factor" is something I've always sought and enjoyed in life.

I appreciate that. There are many with more experience and expertise than me around here.

Wow factor? You can get that from a lot of different cues. The Mezz cues are pretty darn consistent IMHO. But Jacoby has their gig down pretty well too.

If you dig the Lucasi you'll probably love the Mezz.

Of course, once you go with aftermarket shafts the combinations are almost endless.

If the cue bug has really bitten you I am betting you will end up gravitating toward customs and/or old classics though.

One thing I have learned is that I must collect what I like, not what somebody else likes or what somebody else values. My tastes are eclectic and in some cases odd but I have some really fascinating cues. I like to have cues that represent different eras and genres. I have customs, antiques, production and other types.

I have found that wow factor in some unexpected cues actually. But to find it consistently in a brand or maker is another thing.

Because I have so many now I really enjoy getting a few out to compare and contrast their playing characteristics. That turns my crank. That is not where I started though. I was trying to replace my old Joss.

I sincerely have trouble letting go of cues. Most of what I have has not been shown off here. Although I post a lot, and maintain contact with some members off the forum, I am more private than some might suspect.

You'll need to figure out how to scratch that itch. I tend to march to a bit of a different drummer myself so I am not sure if I can offer much to help.

Both Mezz and Jacoby are fine cues. Personally, I would go for a Jacoby first but for a variety of reasons that have little to do with that wow factor.

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
Mezz, if you like the Japanese way of things and to even tweak the balance point of your shaft. However, I'm unhappy that they only do 12mm shafts and not 11. Most likely take the WX900 which is not purely soft, but soft to medium. Don't take hybrid alpha or HP, they seem to be harder.
Merry widows are absolutely stunning and you can choose a variety of woods readily (Rosewood, Cocobolo, Ebony, ...); customer care seems to be top notch, too, from what I heard.

Jacobi, if you are more of an American and are into this custom thing.

I'd take Mezz over anything, except that they have extremely long delivery times when ordered from Mezz and not in stock.

Cheers,
M

You have revealed your distaste for Americans in the past and have explicitly stated how dumb you believe we all are. Yet, wouldn't somebody intelligent know not to generalize individuals on account of their nationality? I love my Mezz cue and couldn't imagine shooting with anything else...guess that makes me "less of an American."