Cobra cue?

DireMcCain

Registered
Anyone have any info about this cue maker? Stick is probably 20 years old...still straight and the finish has held up well. But I haven't been able to find any details...or for that matter, very few similar cues. Just curious...you guys know your stuff and I appreciate your help.

Attachments

• cobra.jpg
    cobra.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 10,173

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they're pretty cheap imports, department store and sporting good stores sold them

William

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main US distributor was in englewood, FL. Was a cool little shop. There was no main cuemaker that I knew of. Went there a few times.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Made by Kao-Kao.

I have spoken with several people that were involved with that business. It was a family importing business in Florida founded and run by Harold Miller who passed in 2003 I believe. There are some other related brands as well such as the Mizerak cues, Slyfoxx which was started by a cousin, and others. David Miller, Harold's son started Axiom cues.

Mizerak was a family friend and the Dove logo cues were branded and imported by this company under an agreement with Mizerak.

The Cobra cues were actually often sold through mainstream billiard suppliers.

Very few have any interest in any of these cues except me. Some of them were very nice full splices with nice figured woods in fact. There was a fairly well known cue maker that sold a cue he made by using a one of these cues as a blank....which he never told anybody but I recognized very easily.

Personally I am only interested in the ones with figured woods and veneers...and only for cheap...because they aren't worth much. That cue I am likely not interested in but you can probably get 30-40 for it on Ebay if it is good shape. If it has the right joint ring I might buy the shaft off you for cheap.

I am specifically looking for certain ones and especially Cobra Professional cues.

They can make a decent cheap starter cue but the ferrules are crap and the joint collars and rings can come loose, so they are very hit an miss. Shaft wood is often crappy but it is maple and some can be found with really nice shafts....more miss than hit.

There is a poster here called Acedonkeyace that has posted the Cobra cues are/were Lishan cues...they are not and I highly advise to disregard what that poster contributes on any matter at all.

Here are some examples:

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

Last edited:

DireMcCain

Registered
Thanks for all the replies abut the Cobra cue. I am not interested in selling it.
It may be an inexpensive cue, but it has held up well since I popped for it in a pawn shop in Tampa. And I have used it a lot. Think I might find a better shaft for it. It doesn't hit like a Schon- or a Pechauer- or a Viking...but I have won a few tournaments with it.

It ain't the stick that counts. It's the sticker.

haha..

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had several of the Dove cues and 1 of the Cobra cues . All were decent inexpencive cues . I gave one to a player in town that never has any money . He plays good with it and takes care of it . Jim

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It ain't the stick that counts. It's the sticker.

haha..

:thumbup:

LOL! I like that. :D

Edit: They joints use standard type pins so it shouldn't be any problem to get a better shaft. Most are piloted 18 thread...some are flat faced.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had several of the Dove cues and 1 of the Cobra cues . All were decent inexpensive cues . I gave one to a player in town that never has any money . He plays good with it and takes care of it . Jim

That was nice you to do that.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The logo on this one is different, and it has a very unique looking joint pin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cobra-Pool-...747752?hash=item41c28ac1e8:g:jAcAAOSwzqFY9RS0

Also, the rubber bumper is a different style.

Same manufacturer as all of the others?

Just curious. Thanks.

That cue is much more recent.

Yes, same manufacturer, different importer and distributor. Harold Miller created that brand but he died back about 2003. He was the original importer. He also created and distributed the Mizerak cues.

That cue, although it has the Cobra logo, has nothing to do with the original Cobra cues.

I know you I think, and I know what you are looking for, I wouldn't be looking at such cues.

I know a lot of history surrounding Harold Miller in the industry. He was a long time sales manager for Adam before he went out on his own. He was a friend of Mizerak. I have spoken to a couple his family members.

I am looking for original sales materials for the Cobra cues, especially the Cobra Professional Series cues.

If you find a Cobra Professional cue, I will buy it.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5561938

If you find old catalogs or brochures, I will buy them or at please please share a scan with me.

William

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That cue is much more recent.

Yes, same manufacturer, different importer and distributor. Harold Miller created that brand but he died back about 2003. He was the original importer. He also created and distributed the Mizerak cues.

That cue, although it has the Cobra logo, has nothing to do with the original Cobra cues.

I know you I think, and I know what you are looking for, I wouldn't be looking at such cues.

I know a lot of history surrounding Harold Miller in the industry. He was a long time sales manager for Adam before he went out on his own. He was a friend of Mizerak. I have spoken to a couple his family members.

I am looking for original sales materials for the Cobra cues, especially the Cobra Professional Series cues.

If you find a Cobra Professional cue, I will buy it.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5561938

If you find old catalogs or brochures, I will buy them or at please please share a scan with me.

I forgot about this thread. You know more about them I did. I went to same school as Chris Miller, but he was a few years ahead of me. I used to have a poster of him in a suit with some cues on a red Mercedes and some chic. I doubt I have it anymore, but if I find it I will look up this thread again.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot about this thread. You know more about them I did. I went to same school as Chris Miller, but he was a few years ahead of me. I used to have a poster of him in a suit with some cues on a red Mercedes and some chic. I doubt I have it anymore, but if I find it I will look up this thread again.

That would be really cool! Thanks!

Hope it turns up....

pfduser

GRABBER GT
Silver Member
When I first got into playing pool in the early 90s my first cue was a full splice Cobra. It was well built with a solid hit. Wish I still had it.

DireMcCain

Registered
Cobra

Yeah, different logo than mine...agree it must be a later model...still have mine...still happy with it...it's been a very good stick for me...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first got into playing pool in the early 90s my first cue was a full splice Cobra. It was well built with a solid hit. Wish I still had it.

I find that most people after one of these cues have sentimental reasons. Not infrequently it was their first cue.

They aren't bad. Decent enough starter cues I guess. The Cobra Professional versions are substantially better as are the Mizerak Professional cues. They are more of the quality of a good Adam cue. The ferrules and tips are horrible IMHO, but of course you can upgrade that. Of course you an always just screw on an aftermarket shaft.