New definition of edge ... Is this ok duckie

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
most lateral part that can be seen of a sphere viewed from a given position
edit to include louieatienza's comment below
or would this be better
most lateral part of the greater circumference (equator) that can be seen of a sphere viewed from a given position

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is good, because "edge" is a bit confusing I guess.

The funny thing is, when aiming at a given spot that would cut a vertical section off the
sphere, like slicing up a potato, say a 1/4 slice (1/4 of the diameter), as long as your
horizontal angle of approach remains the same, your focal point is always going to give
you the same 1/4 slice from any vertical view. In other words, it doesn't matter if you're
eye-level with the sphere or 2 feet above it (as long as your horizontal angle of approach
remains the same), the spot to cut that 1/4 slice off will always be the same distance from
the center of the sphere, or from its great circumference.

Example: Aiming the CB to hit dead center of an OB, whether you are standing up to view
the center or down over the shot, that vertical line going through the center of the OB doesn't
change. Same goes for aiming at the great circumference/non-edge of the ball.

Hmmmm...That makes it clear as mud.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even better, how about we don't cater to the .00001% that want to live outside the norm?

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
This is good, because "edge" is a bit confusing I guess.

The funny thing is, when aiming at a given spot that would cut a vertical section off the
sphere, like slicing up a potato, say a 1/4 slice (1/4 of the diameter), as long as your
horizontal angle of approach remains the same, your focal point is always going to give
you the same 1/4 slice from any vertical view. In other words, it doesn't matter if you're
eye-level with the sphere or 2 feet above it (as long as your horizontal angle of approach
remains the same), the spot to cut that 1/4 slice off will always be the same distance from
the center of the sphere, or from its great circumference.

Example: Aiming the CB to hit dead center of an OB, whether you are standing up to view
the center or down over the shot, that vertical line going through the center of the OB doesn't
change. Same goes for aiming at the great circumference/non-edge of the ball.

Hmmmm...That makes it clear as mud.

Eight slices... http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=448274

Could be slices of a potato, a mud ball, or a pool ball.. but not a pizza.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Just read the title, didn't read the post......

This is the definition of edge I use...

http://www.mathopenref.com/edge.html

Now yall may want to contact all the sites that use this definition of a edge to have them add this exception.......There are edges on balls in the pool world.

So really CTE is based on a lie. The lie being that balls have edges.

You can not use other forms of geometry to describe a system......ie center, points, lines, fractions.......and ignore the geometry of a ball which is that there are no edges on a ball.

Anyone that uses edges in describing the geometry a pool shot is flat out wrong.

Give it up already.....admit it, you will feel better......

Just stand up and say it....Hi I'm (insert name here). There are no edges on balls........you'll feel much better.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member

Now yall may want to contact all the sites that use this definition of a edge to have them add this exception.......There are edges on balls in the pool world.

You can not use other forms of geometry to describe a system......ie center, points, lines, fractions.......and ignore the geometry of a ball which is that there are no edges on a ball.

Anyone that uses edges in describing the geometry a pool shot is flat out wrong.

Just stand up and say it....Hi I'm (insert name here). There are no edges on balls........you'll feel much better.

When you place your body behind the cb in a straight line towards the visual edge of the ob, this is what we're referring to as a 1/2 ball alignment or hit on the ob. This shouldn't be that complicated for you. I really don't think pools your thing.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I TRIED GUYS :banghead:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Answer this.....

What is the difference between Center to edge and Center to surface?

Hell, even the center is not really the center. It's a straight-on view of the "surface" of the ball. The "edge" is a view of of the same surface, yet at the extremities of the diameter of the ball.

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Answer this.....

What is the difference between Center to edge and Center to surface?

All you need to know about pool ball edges... The entire ball is the surface.

image.jpg

The 3 circles are the same size, drawn on a flat surface.. I can see the edge on the CB. I can see the pool ball center, the pool ball edge and halfway between the center and edge.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using duckie's reasoning, there is no way to hit "center ball"...the "center" is inside the cue ball.