Why videos are too imprecise to show pivots

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I drew these up in Geogebra to show just how small the range for center cue ball is from straight shots to ultra thin shots from various distances between cue ball and object ball. We have to precisely place our cue tip within these ranges to find center cue ball for every shot from straight to ultra-thin. The closer the clue ball is to the object ball the larger the tip placement range.

The following are distances of 1 diamond to 6 diamonds away on a 9' table between cue ball and object ball and their tiny corresponding tip placement ranges for center cue ball to cover all shots:

12.5": 0.2"
25": 0.1"
37.5": 0.07"
50": 0.05"
62.75: 0.04"
75": 0.03"

Cue Ball Contact Ranges.jpg

1 Diamond Away:
1 Diamond Away.jpg
6 Diamonds Away:
6 Diamonds Away.jpg

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
This was the point of my convergence lines videos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John, I just watched your video. First, let me thank you for probably the best video I've seen from your side of the seemingly unending debate. I avoid following the threads, because it feels like a waste of time after realizing that the debate hasn't gotten much closer to a conclusion since the CTE and Hal Houle threads I was involved in way back in 2008.

Although I'm still skeptical about the technique and I see flaws in all explanations and videos from the pro CTE side of the argument, I do concede that it seems to work for a lot of you. I strongly believe that the way it works is that the strict geometry of the alignment and pivot has gotten you to one of several exact reference shots from where subtle subconscious adjustments are made to get you to the actual shot presented.

Even in your excellent video, I notice the small adjustments that you are making with your bridge hand and cue to get perfectly on the shot line. Again, this is just more proof to me that pivots cannot be precisely shown on video, at least until someone builds a precision pivoting apparatus with an ultra-thin (1 mm?) straight pointer attached to a precise rotating point on a firm stand. Using a big chunky cue and a rounded tip is deceiving. I strongly believe this would show that after the alignment and the pivot that the pointer is not pointing along the shot line anymore, though probably close. If my side is wrong, then the pointer will pivot exactly to the shot line. Either result, this exercise might actually end the debate once and for all.

But if someone is going to take on such a project, the alignment process has to be just as precise in order to keep someone who is experienced at CTE and has become good at pre-pivot adjusting the flaws out of the system from affecting the post-pivot results. It is a lot to ask of anyone, but after at least 9 years and countless hours spent arguing about the same thing, it might be worthwhile to some of you.

Again, thanks for a great video, John. It did explain a lot.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE is visual. The eyes lead the bridge V!

One's vision does all of the work in CTE. In other words, I do not even need a cue in my hand in order to see the correct shot line. Therefore, if during the execution of a manual pivot the bridge V requires an adjustment in order to align to the center that the eyes have lead to, so be it.
Just to reiterate, I can see the visuals correctly for a given perception and then plop my bridge V down 2 or 3 inches away from its destination and still know EXACTLY how to align my cue to center cue ball.
Manuat pivoting has an important function in CTE but it is NOT for locating shot lines. The eyes do that! I can put my bridge hand with inserted cue shaft on my left knee cap for every shot and pivot from there to CCB if I wanted to.
Manual pivoting is not an absolute requirement for CTE. If it's a mandate then it's something else other than CTE. The offsetting of one's tip away from CCB during the learning process is for very important visual purposes

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your reply, Stan. So would you say that with your experience that you don't need to pivot at all, even visually, because you simply see the correct shot line while standing?

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your reply, Stan. So would you say that with your experience that you don't need to pivot at all, even visually, because you simply see the correct shot line while standing?

i do not want to get into the specifics of what I can or can't do at this point other than just stating the fact that a camera or video pales in comparison to what human vision can do.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited: