Effect of Draw on Cut Shots

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to remember a Dr. Dave article on the effect of using draw while shooting a cut shot. However, I cannot seem to locate it. I've spent a lot of time on his web site as well as searching this forum with no luck. Can anyone help me locate this information?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Al

TILT9

Banned
I'd like to see what the DoctorDave wrote , this will be interesting.
Practice is one thing , an educated , intelligent study is another.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll search my books for his exact words. But I'm sure he concluded that draw and top spin on cut shots reduces collision-induced throw. I made this video showing an example a few weeks ago......

https://youtu.be/3i-1QIWxR3Q?t=300

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I seem to remember a Dr. Dave article on the effect of using draw while shooting a cut shot. However, I cannot seem to locate it. I've spent a lot of time on his web site as well as searching this forum with no luck. Can anyone help me locate this information?

Al
See the May 2006 column here: http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2006.pdf

It describes a simple experiment you can do yourself to see the effect.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

Al

Or where you thinking of the effect on the CB travel as it draws back?
The angle doubles from the shot angle. If the cut angle is 10 degrees
the CB draw angle would be about 20 degrees, or twice the cut angle.

Not an instructor.

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for all of your answers. I was looking for the information about the throw effect, but was only using "Draw" as the key word when doing my searches on the site. It certainly helps if you are looking in the proper section.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Or where you thinking of the effect on the CB travel as it draws back?
The angle doubles from the shot angle. If the cut angle is 10 degrees
the CB draw angle would be about 20 degrees, or twice the cut angle.

Not an instructor.

If the cut angle is 10 degrees, the CB draw angle would be about 20 degrees from the pocketing line.
3 times the cut angle. You're welcome.

The cut angle.... plus twice the cut angle, on the opposite side of the pocket line.
Thank you so much for making 3 times clear. I didn't know you were an instructor.

Last edited:

SCputter

Registered
I’m not...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...and I like to read about pool from Dr. Dave.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here it is: follow/draw throw resource page.
FYI to those interested, I improved this resource page over the weekend with simpler language, more info, and additional supporting links. I think it covers the topic fairly well and completely now.

Enjoy,
Dave