Dozens of Top Pros Give Up Their Aiming Secrets

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Even Duckie might like that description of an edge.

:smile:

QUOTE=JB Cases;5778954]Pretty sure Hal could visualize anything Dale could and far more. And edges refers to the perspective from the shooter's point of view, the horizon, i.e. the VISIBLE edge. It is IMPOSSIBLE to see beyond the horizon of a sphere so that last point of visibility becomes the effective edge. That "edge" rotates with the viewer's relationship to the sphere.
[/QUOTE]

Nope....there are no edges on a sphere, no horizon either.

Replace edge with surface.......spheres have a surface which is not the same as a edge.

Again......the proper use of words ..............

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member

Replace edge with surface.......spheres have a surface which is not the same as a edge.

Again......the proper use of words .............

Boy... are you ducked up or something? Go out tomorrow night and look at the moon. Can you see an edge around it? Does it have a top, bottom, right and left edge? It's really a sphere even though it looks like a flat disk. Just thought you'd like to know. If you still don't see an edge around the sphere in the sky, start barking at it. It may make you feel better about your opinion. Or ask some kid walking down the street to show it to you.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Go to a, oh, dining room table. Place yor finger in the middle of the table. Are you touching the surface of the table top or the edge of the table top?

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
Go to a, oh, dining room table. Place yor finger in the middle of the table. Are you touching the surface of the table top or the edge of the table top?

?????

How does the center of a plane relate to the edge of a sphere? Bark, bark, bark. Still no clue. Bartender... I'll have one of what he's drinking. Maybe that'll help.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
[QUOTE=Vorpal Cue;5814555]Nope....there are no edges on a sphere, no horizon either.

Again......the proper use of words .............

Boy... are you ducked up or something? Go out tomorrow night and look at the moon. Can you see an edge around it? Does it have a top, bottom, right and left edge? It's really a sphere even though it looks like a flat disk. Just thought you'd like to know. If you still don't see an edge around the sphere in the sky, start barking at it. It may make you feel better about your opinion. Or ask some kid walking down the street to show it to you.[/QUOTE]

Vorpal - I went out and looked at the sun and never saw the edge... Then I looked at the sun surface.
Now I can't see a damn thing! ... Oh, I'm sorry.. you said to look at the edge of the moon. :dance:

Is the sun the same size as the moon.. or is it just further away? Does that matter?.. The contact patch
would be exactly the same size, even if one of them "looks" smaller... at least that's what I've been told.

If the OB diameter looks smaller at a distance, how can the OB "contact patch" ring look the same size
as the closer CB diameter? Maybe if we think of a smaller CB... or maybe we can think of a larger OB?

Vorpal - I really liked your reply to Aflac. ..quack,quack

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Again......the proper use of words ..............[/QUOTE]

So the earth does not have a horizon. Guess we can now toss that word right out of the dictionary.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When the Sun goes down over the horizon, do you see it as a ball disappearing, or as a round circle

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
It depends on what Duckie is smoking.

:p

Again......the proper use of words ..............

When the Sun goes down over the horizon, do you see it as a ball disappearing, or as a round circle[/QUOTE]

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Are we in geometry class or are we describing what we see when we play pool, or is your whole angle to be obtuse,

:rolleyes:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
You made the mistake of assuming what I would find acceptable.

Now why would you even do that?

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the FINAL secret that was given by C.J. Wiley :rolleyes:

After hearing every teaching pro and then finally spending a week-end training session with CJ I have FINALLY come to a true understanding of what everyone is trying to teach me. If you aim standing up and learn to come absolutely straight down on the ball you are looking directly straight at the aiming spot you saw from above. I was getting "pretty much" on the "line of the shot" and then aiming once I got down. This leads to a lot of adjusting and shifting which everyone knows is bad. The degree to which CJ aims from above then drops PERFECTLY in line can not be over stated.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
After hearing every teaching pro and then finally spending a week-end training session with CJ I have FINALLY come to a true understanding of what everyone is trying to teach me. If you aim standing up and learn to come absolutely straight down on the ball you are looking directly straight at the aiming spot you saw from above. I was getting "pretty much" on the "line of the shot" and then aiming once I got down. This leads to a lot of adjusting and shifting which everyone knows is bad. The degree to which CJ aims from above then drops PERFECTLY in line can not be over stated.

Boom, headshot!
People don't really understand how much the pros hold the center of the cueball to that aiming line. Their chin, shoulder, grip, back leg, etc are on that line.
Their cues look elevated when addressing the ball. Not dead level.
The tip is on the felt pointing to the base of the cue ball and the tip comes up gradually to hit the target on the cue ball.
Their follow through ( most of them ) are longer than what is really taught out there. Most go beyond the 5-8" rule.

shin

Registered
All of aiming system is good. But I think the most important is " STROKE". Aiming system is useless if your Stroke not good enough.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
That is true, shin. If you have a good, straight, consistent stroke, learning to aim cut shots better can be as simple as "I need to hit that one more thickly or thinly next time."

I ask my students to commit to missing more shots than before to get better. They must commit to a straight stroke even if they feel "off" with aim or they'll never learn aim. This is because their regular swerving strokes to compensate for poor aim only deepens bad habits as the balls sink.

For this and other reasons, I usually teach new students stroke first than move to stance and aim.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Pretty sure Hal could visualize anything Dale could and far more. And edges refers to the perspective from the shooter's point of view, the horizon, i.e. the VISIBLE edge. It is IMPOSSIBLE to see beyond the horizon of a sphere so that last point of visibility becomes the effective edge. That "edge" rotates with the viewer's relationship to the sphere.

A great point you make. Because the "edge" or "horizon" (in quotes so don't flame me!) rotates with our perspective, those who use other aim methods, like contact point aim aka "back of ball" aim, should aim a little more thickly in the shooting position than the shot appeared while standing erect, before assuming the stance.