Keith Josey Shafts

asianevil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently bought a Josey cue butt only from an AZer and need a shaft for it. Before I buy a shaft from Josey, wondering if anyone could offer some feedback on the three different types of shafts that Keith Josey is offering.

Josey regular maple shaft
Josey Timeless Timber
Josey laminated shafts

I normally play with OB-classic shafts but wouldn't mind having a Josey shaft with this cue. Sherri from Josey cues has emailed me back about the physical differences of their shafts.

Anyone out there have a personal experience with these shafts they can offer?
Thanks in advance.
AE

PS:would consider buying a used Josey shaft if there's one sitting in a closet somewhere.....

Muziq

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope you get an answer...

I'd like to hear the same information regarding his different shafts from those that have experienced playing with each of them.

Muziq

wambamcam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a timeless timber shaft and it plays great. Have a soft moori on one and soft kamui on the other. Super stiff and the feedback is excellent.

Had tried switching to Predator, but went back to these shafts as they felt better to me.

asianevil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Josey shaft

I use a timeless timber shaft and it plays great. Have a soft moori on one and soft kamui on the other. Super stiff and the feedback is excellent.

Had tried switching to Predator, but went back to these shafts as they felt better to me.

Sweet, thanks Wambam.

I was leaning toward the TT shafts as they are going to be rare.

jesinspirment

Registered
Keith Josey's shafts are known to deflect less. Well, at least this is what Sherri claimed.

My question is, when it comes to deflecting less, does that only apply to his normal shafts, or also his TT shafts?

RSCA HOOLIGAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had a JOSEY with his laminated shaft but it had too much deflection for me . if you like LD buy a SS360 for it , you'll be amazed .

jdelcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Josey regular maple shaft
Josey Timeless Timber
Josey laminated shafts

All good choices. The last option would probably be the most 'translatable' to your current shaft setup, but I've got to echo the votes on the Timeless Timber shafts. Nothing like conventional old growth for consistency and feel...

But that's just me, it's really up to you...

To be honest, the whole point isn't really which shaft is 'better' than the other IMO - at some point, once you've tried enough things and your tastes have developed to a point where you don't need to be asking anyone these sorts of questions anymore, then you'll know what you want and be able to select it according to previous experience. No one can really help you too much with that right now... so till then, just pick one and stick with it -- they're all quality products out of Keith's shop. Whichever one you select, you'll get used to it, you'll learn how to use it to your advantage, and you'll develop an understanding for it.. just so long as you stick to using it consistently for awhile.

Like with anything else, the trick is practice, not just the feel or look straight out of the box... :)

GL with your new cue purchase.

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post is a bit older I suppose but I absolutely love the standard maple shaft, mine played better than any predator shaft I've had in my hands. I just found I could be more confident in my stroke with it. Josey cues are tremendous players! The Timeless Timber also plays well but for my stroke and game I prefer the standard shaft. Timeless hits great though! I do not have any experience with the laminate shafts at all. I switched from LD shafts to standard maple and I'm so glad that I did. Some like them better than maple but I do not. Good luck!

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Josey Shafts and cues

They are excellant products. The cues play great. I have several of the timeless Timber shafts. So sweet. I actually went and bought 20 shaft squares just for my self. from a wood supplier. This wood may never be around. I use extended lenght TT. mark you can't miss with high end Josey cues and shafts.

Kaptivative

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are excellant products. The cues play great. I have several of the timeless Timber shafts. So sweet. I actually went and bought 20 shaft squares just for my self. from a wood supplier. This wood may never be around. I use extended lenght TT. mark you can't miss with high end Josey cues and shafts.
I only have experience with the "regular maple shaft" (with the Tiger Onyx tip that I supplied) from Keith/Sherri Josey. However, it is great!!!! I've played with OB and Predator shafts. OB feels hollow and Predator is like shooting with a metal rod. Although both have excellent deflection reduction, neither was a great fit for me because of feel. I love the regular maple shaft from Keith Josey. I get EXCELLENT deflection reduction but I get to keep the "feel" (tactile feedback necessary to control speed, ball hit, etc.) required to run racks. My equipment matches my skill level resulting in run out after run out. If I'm having an off night I can no longer blame it on my equipment (both happy and sad about this). I'm not sure about TT or Laminated but if they hit anything like the "regular" maple shaft that Keith makes then buy one. I can only and do highly recommend the regular maple shaft. Good luck, Happy New Year, and may most of your time in 2014 be filled with run outs!

CueMaster77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets update this post:

Email from Sherri as of 2017. Seems they have good shaft now available.

------------------
I have outlined the shaft differences below:

Our standard Josey shaft is a Rock Hard Maple shaft. Our Josey taper starts at the tip and gradually works its way back. This is more of a conical taper; not a pro taper.
Our newest shaft is the Josey "Zero" Low Deflection shaft that we have pared with the Precision layered tip. These shafts are made using stacked Maple wood laminations (like a natural tree grows) not pie shaped laminations. We have had several players test these shafts with extremely positive results. This shaft will play even stiffer than our standard Josey shaft. We even have a few customers who have called back to order additional Zero shaft. Keith is only building these Zero shafts for Josey Cues with either 12.75 or 13.0mm diameter.

Keith also builds Timeless Timber (old growth ring) shafts and he is one of the few cuemakers that actually has this wood to sell. Our supply of this historic wood is very limited and we cannot get anymore once we run out because the company that dredged up the wood from Lake Superior has closed. You can read more about this historic wood at www.timelesstimber.com if their website is still active. Timeless Timber shafts will also typically play stiffer than our standard Josey shafts. However, it is very important to note that these shafts do have cosmetic flaws such as sugar spots, dark streaks &/or knots. Again, these flaws or blemishes are cosmetic only and will not affect the playability of the shaft itself. The customers who purchase our Timeless Timber shafts understand this in advance and are not concerned about the "cosmetics of the shaft", they only want the shaft for its unique history and for the way it plays.
------------------------------