More *unique* "first cue" post. $550 budget.

B0r

Registered
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I appreciate your opinion in advance. Thank you.

I want a first cue. I have never been a professional player. In my own mind I was probably "good" but really I was probably terrible. I was never taught to play nor did I learn the fundamentals, I just had a natural understanding. And it was fun to me. I'm tired of going out to bars, so I'm getting a table for the house and a solid first cue.

Quickly: my first AR-15 build was $2,500. My first flashlight was $170. My first knife was $280. I don't do the "start here and see if you like it, etc." or the "why spend more than X for a first cue?" I buy quality first. I also don't do "exotics". Notice how everything above is in the enthusiast range. There are $8,000 AR's, $500 lights and $2,000 knives. I won't buy them.

I was DEAD SET on a Predator Sport 2 ICE no-wrap. $390-$450 is what I've seen it at. It's white. It's beautiful. And then I read it was made in China. We obviously all own things made in China, but if I can avoid it I will. I would say aesthetics matter. I am not interested in a sneaky pete. I found that the general consensus was that 300-600 would get you a solid, quality cue that would last and play well. After the predator China debacle, I found OB. And then I found multiple occasions where people said "if I had $xxx, it wouldn't be an OB.

I value the opinion of the people, especially those more experienced. This post differs from the rest because I had a baseline, the predator, I don't want a wrap, and I've searched the forums and done my own research. I will buy: Schon, McDermott, Mezz and MAYBE Predator/Lucasi. My holdback is would a $600 Predator/Lucasi be as good as the "lower end" of the other manufacturers? I don't want a custom cue, I'll take production.

TL:DR and final question: since my budget seems to be on the lower end for Schon and Mezz, would a more expensive Predator or lucasi make sense? I'm iffy on China, I don't like wraps and it's not detrimental, but for $550 I should be able to look at my cue and know it's worth what I paid for it.

And then there's warranty. Lifetime warranty, including warping on Lucasi is kind of hard to turn your nose up at. Either they know it won't warp, or they're that confident in their product. I can afford $500 a year, so I'm trying not to let the "allure" of protection and Chinese manufacturing make my decision for me, so I'd like your thoughts.

No poll, no "best cue maker ever". Not asking you to make my decision for me. I may also be missing something. One of you may blow my mind and come up with a combo for $550 that would be excellent. I am not opposed to a little more money to make that happen. I also waited 3 days to be approved and searched and only found "make my decision for me" posts. So please, no hate if your search-fu is on a higher level.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You didn't really express whether you were going for low deflection technology or a regular cue. The LD shafts can add quite a bit to the cost. You also didn't mention if you were going for a new cue or a cue on the secondhand market.

FWIW, some of the lower end McDermott cues are made in China and Lucasi cues are made in China. Mezz is made in Japan. Mezz are top quality, but I haven't seen any without wraps. I have two old McDermotts and they are quality cues that play real well, but they were made in the USA over 20 years ago...one of them is over 40 years old. Both of them are in mint condition and haven't warped.

If you are talking secondhand cues, you may want to specify your preference for weight, tip size, etc.

Be very careful if you buy a cue off ebay...there are tons of phony cues misrepresented as the real thing.

You should be able to get a good cue for your budget.

All of my cues have wraps, so I haven't done research on what companies make wrapless cues in that price range.

The old Adam cues were made in Japan by the same people who make Mezz now. Old Adam cues are top quality and aren't hard to find. You have to pay attention to what you are buying though, there are tons of supposedly US and Japan-made cues online that are made in China.

http://mezzcue.com/en/corporate/history.php

Last edited:

B0r

Registered
Hey, thanks for the reply! I would only go secondhand if it was from these forums and a reputable seller. Otherwise I definitely want to go new. I didn't know there was a difference between LD and "regular". I thought it was either LD or HD. I definitely want low deflection or at least lower than house cue deflection. I don't buy anything off eBay, but thanks for the heads up! I decided against wraps because of fraying, which I have no basis for, it was more to have a cue that was "wipe down" maintenance only.

I am really leaning toward getting a Mezz or Schon, and may just let go of my wrapless requirement. I have held all 3 or 4, rubber, leather, linen and no wrap and don't mind any. With the way rubber tends to collect any dirt your hand may acquire, I'd go leather/linen/no wrap. I guess now I want to decide between Mezz and Schon. White/red/black are my colors if you're reading this and have one for sale. Sounds weird to some, but I wouldn't buy or use blue or green anything.

Basically, I know there are people that really know their stuff and would kill to just have an extra $550 or so laying around to pick up a cue or their favorite cue. I hate getting so deep in the semantics. I wish it was as clear as bad, good, great. And when great only differs by preference, it's still great.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, thanks for the reply! I would only go secondhand if it was from these forums and a reputable seller. Otherwise I definitely want to go new. I didn't know there was a difference between LD and "regular". I thought it was either LD or HD. I definitely want low deflection or at least lower than house cue deflection. I don't buy anything off eBay, but thanks for the heads up! I decided against wraps because of fraying, which I have no basis for, it was more to have a cue that was "wipe down" maintenance only.

I am really leaning toward getting a Mezz or Schon, and may just let go of my wrapless requirement. I have held all 3 or 4, rubber, leather, linen and no wrap and don't mind any. With the way rubber tends to collect any dirt your hand may acquire, I'd go leather/linen/no wrap. I guess now I want to decide between Mezz and Schon. White/red/black are my colors if you're reading this and have one for sale. Sounds weird to some, but I wouldn't buy or use blue or green anything.

Basically, I know there are people that really know their stuff and would kill to just have an extra $550 or so laying around to pick up a cue or their favorite cue. I hate getting so deep in the semantics. I wish it was as clear as bad, good, great. And when great only differs by preference, it's still great.

I don't think you can really go wrong with a Mezz. I love their shafts.

If i were going to buy a simple custom cue, I'd talk to Chuck Starkey. I have never seen or played with one of his cues, but I'm sure he can make one that plays great. He has a policy of send it back if you don't like it.

http://www.chuck-starkey-pool-cues.com/about-us/

B0r

Registered
What's with Seybert's showing Mezz cues as having a lifetime warranty? Also, how can they offer different color wraps? Do they wrap them themselves or what?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about this with the EX PRO.

https://www.seyberts.com/mezz-ec7wkk_cue

Also no wrap.

That is a very nice looking cue. I wouldn't mind having one of those myself. I see it comes with the WX700 shaft and I've played with that shaft and the 900 model. Of those two, I prefer the 700. It has a pro taper and the 900 has a conical taper. haven't tried any of the others, but I'd like to try the Hybrid Alpha...it is 12.8mm and I prefer a larger diameter shaft.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about this with the EX PRO.

https://www.seyberts.com/mezz-ec7wkk_cue

Also no wrap.
Before I finished the thread, I was going to suggest this exact cue. I recently bought the dark stained curly maple model with the ex pro shaft. I recommend the ex pro.

If you think you want one of those cues at Manning's, give him a call about upgrading to the ex pro shaft. Seyberts only recently offered it as an option. I had to ask.

Another thing, if those other models are the wavy joint, I've read they have a softer hit. I like stiffer hits so the united joint is my choice.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Go with your gut and buy what you like, Seyberts does have a great return,exchange,refund program ...just check and understand the policy. Nothing wrong with Predators. I have a few and no complaints. They are build well and very good players. Don't let the Made in China be a factor. And judging buy your tastes this will not be your one and only cue....this is a start.
Your first flashlight and knife ...kindly show or list what you bought.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you looked at Joss or Pechauer ?
Both made in the US and many models are well with in your budget.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I appreciate your opinion in advance. Thank you.

I want a first cue. I have never been a professional player. In my own mind I was probably "good" but really I was probably terrible. I was never taught to play nor did I learn the fundamentals, I just had a natural understanding. And it was fun to me. I'm tired of going out to bars, so I'm getting a table for the house and a solid first cue.

Quickly: my first AR-15 build was $2,500. My first flashlight was $170. My first knife was $280. I don't do the "start here and see if you like it, etc." or the "why spend more than X for a first cue?" I buy quality first. I also don't do "exotics". Notice how everything above is in the enthusiast range. There are $8,000 AR's, $500 lights and $2,000 knives. I won't buy them.

I was DEAD SET on a Predator Sport 2 ICE no-wrap. $390-$450 is what I've seen it at. It's white. It's beautiful. And then I read it was made in China. We obviously all own things made in China, but if I can avoid it I will. I would say aesthetics matter. I am not interested in a sneaky pete. I found that the general consensus was that 300-600 would get you a solid, quality cue that would last and play well. After the predator China debacle, I found OB. And then I found multiple occasions where people said "if I had $xxx, it wouldn't be an OB.

I value the opinion of the people, especially those more experienced. This post differs from the rest because I had a baseline, the predator, I don't want a wrap, and I've searched the forums and done my own research. I will buy: Schon, McDermott, Mezz and MAYBE Predator/Lucasi. My holdback is would a $600 Predator/Lucasi be as good as the "lower end" of the other manufacturers? I don't want a custom cue, I'll take production.

TL:DR and final question: since my budget seems to be on the lower end for Schon and Mezz, would a more expensive Predator or lucasi make sense? I'm iffy on China, I don't like wraps and it's not detrimental, but for $550 I should be able to look at my cue and know it's worth what I paid for it.

And then there's warranty. Lifetime warranty, including warping on Lucasi is kind of hard to turn your nose up at. Either they know it won't warp, or they're that confident in their product. I can afford $500 a year, so I'm trying not to let the "allure" of protection and Chinese manufacturing make my decision for me, so I'd like your thoughts.

No poll, no "best cue maker ever". Not asking you to make my decision for me. I may also be missing something. One of you may blow my mind and come up with a combo for $550 that would be excellent. I am not opposed to a little more money to make that happen. I also waited 3 days to be approved and searched and only found "make my decision for me" posts. So please, no hate if your search-fu is on a higher level.
For your FIRST cue,let me recommend Schmelke. Several reasons;
They make a GOOD cue very reasonably priced & you can order what you want.
Then buy a 2x3 JB Ultimate Rugged Cue Case. This will last you forever & it's the best for protection.
Then buy all accessories; chalk,tip tool,burnisher,etc.
This should be about $400,(I do understand you don't mind spending a bit more),that's not the point.

Now you play this cue for a while,follow Azbilliard forum a while,hit with other peoples cues a bit,etc.
After a while you will have a better idea of what you like/want and know how to go about getting it. Also you will have the Shmelke as a back-up cue or dedicated breaker.
Good luck & I hope this helps !!!

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am glad to read about your cue search, I approve your way of thinking and planning :smile:

I would recommend going with a Mezz mostly because you seem a lot like myself, I see the beauty of objects in their quality and finish. Mezz has the best finish of any cue I have ever had my hands on, only one other has been as nice and that is the Barnhart I have now.
A word of warning though if you enjoy the grippy feeling of a wrapless cue; The linen that Mezz uses is very slippery due to being pressed so smooth. I once sold a cue for that reason, I couldnt play well with a slippery cue. I would go with a wrapless model like EC7 lineup but that is up to you and your preferences, I just thought to let you know :smile:

The Mezz shafts hit pretty stiff and have a hard hit generally. I liked the Hybrid Pro2 more than the standard WX shaft and I have read about the EX pro being even better than the HP was.
And please, do yourself a favor and stick with the cue you end up buying if you are still new to the game :rolleyes: I made the mistake of constantly changing cues when I started and ended up losing a LOT of cash in the process. If I had a time machine back to the day I bought my first cue, I'd picked a wrapless model to start with. That alone would have saved a few hundred bucks :p

Wandering a bit off topic; What kind of knives do you have? I bought a Mini Griptillian by Benchmade a few months back and I love it. Bought a fullsize version as a gift for my hunting buddy and I must say that I prefer the Mini over that. Better balance, lighter and fits in any pocket. Still cuts through anything I have ever needed to go at :smile:

B0r

Registered
Before I finished the thread, I was going to suggest this exact cue. I recently bought the dark stained curly maple model with the ex pro shaft. I recommend the ex pro.

If you think you want one of those cues at Manning's, give him a call about upgrading to the ex pro shaft. Seyberts only recently offered it as an option. I had to ask.

Another thing, if those other models are the wavy joint, I've read they have a softer hit. I like stiffer hits so the united joint is my choice.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up with Manning's. I am definitely looking to buy very soon. I wish I could get a few shots in on an EX but it's a decent drive from where I live to a nice shop. Rather just return or sell and get something else.

Go with your gut and buy what you like, Seyberts does have a great return,exchange,refund program ...just check and understand the policy. Nothing wrong with Predators. I have a few and no complaints. They are build well and very good players. Don't let the Made in China be a factor. And judging buy your tastes this will not be your one and only cue....this is a start.
Your first flashlight and knife ...kindly show or list what you bought.

Yes, I tried to let go of the made in China factor. I just wanted to ensure my money goes far enough on round 1 if that's what it's gonna be for me like AR-15's ended up being, lol. I can gladly get you some glamour shots of my knives but while on the cell phone and in the interim: Benchmade: Infidel, Adamas and a fixed Adamas. Emerson: CQC-7 and Commander. Flashlights: SureFire: EB1 and P2X Fury with IntelliBeam. One for the pocket and one I carry in a holster (fury). The IntelliBeam is priceless to me. I do a lot of work where I use my light to see or read up close and it's phenomenal.

Have you looked at Joss or Pechauer ?
Both made in the US and many models are well with in your budget.

I think aesthetics did it in for me with both of these companies. At least within my budget. Unfortunately, aesthetics is a factor for me even if it shouldn't be a decider like it was in this case. But I did give them both a look and thanks for your input!

For your FIRST cue,let me recommend Schmelke. Several reasons;
They make a GOOD cue very reasonably priced & you can order what you want.
Then buy a 2x3 JB Ultimate Rugged Cue Case. This will last you forever & it's the best for protection.
Then buy all accessories; chalk,tip tool,burnisher,etc.
This should be about $400,(I do understand you don't mind spending a bit more),that's not the point.

Now you play this cue for a while,follow Azbilliard forum a while,hit with other peoples cues a bit,etc.
After a while you will have a better idea of what you like/want and know how to go about getting it. Also you will have the Shmelke as a back-up cue or dedicated breaker.
Good luck & I hope this helps !!!

Thanks for the reply! My cue budget is completely separate from my accessories budget, so a nice case is a must and thanks for the recommendation, I will look into JB cases. I THINK I'm going to play VERY often. And if it turns out I don't, I don't plan on selling anything and at least when I come back to it I'll start with quality products.

I am glad to read about your cue search, I approve your way of thinking and planning :smile:

I would recommend going with a Mezz mostly because you seem a lot like myself, I see the beauty of objects in their quality and finish. Mezz has the best finish of any cue I have ever had my hands on, only one other has been as nice and that is the Barnhart I have now.
A word of warning though if you enjoy the grippy feeling of a wrapless cue; The linen that Mezz uses is very slippery due to being pressed so smooth. I once sold a cue for that reason, I couldnt play well with a slippery cue. I would go with a wrapless model like EC7 lineup but that is up to you and your preferences, I just thought to let you know :smile:

The Mezz shafts hit pretty stiff and have a hard hit generally. I liked the Hybrid Pro2 more than the standard WX shaft and I have read about the EX pro being even better than the HP was.
And please, do yourself a favor and stick with the cue you end up buying if you are still new to the game :rolleyes: I made the mistake of constantly changing cues when I started and ended up losing a LOT of cash in the process. If I had a time machine back to the day I bought my first cue, I'd picked a wrapless model to start with. That alone would have saved a few hundred bucks :p

Wandering a bit off topic; What kind of knives do you have? I bought a Mini Griptillian by Benchmade a few months back and I love it. Bought a fullsize version as a gift for my hunting buddy and I must say that I prefer the Mini over that. Better balance, lighter and fits in any pocket. Still cuts through anything I have ever needed to go at :smile:

Thanks for the awesome reply! I definitely think I'm going Mezz and sticking with it. I wish I could easily find the time to go to a nice shop and try some of the shafts, but I think I'll just see if the stock 700 works and go with something else if it doesn't and just try to sell what I absolutely won't use. Life is all about loss, and a few bucks on a shaft isn't going to kill me. This is why I wanted to go wrapless, on top of the fraying or whatever. I think that takes a LONG time but will still likely happen. I have benchmade and Emerson knives as listed above, the Adamas being my favorite. Such a tough, hardened, feel good and fill the hand kinda knife. I grabbed a fixed blade for the beauty really since I'm not a hunter or anything but I still mess around with it on occasion. I had mine sharpened by a guy I found on YouTube and they're even better. I definitely recommend having a reputable guy sharpen all manufactured blades. They're just even better when they come back. I was afraid the tolerances on balance were too low to fix a new edge but that wasn't the case. Still a perfect balance. Thanks for your input! Really appreciate it.

And thank you all for the input! Honestly helping me in a world where no one wants to help each other anymore. Refreshing.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up with Manning's. I am definitely looking to buy very soon. I wish I could get a few shots in on an EX but it's a decent drive from where I live to a nice shop. Rather just return or sell and get something else.

Yes, I tried to let go of the made in China factor. I just wanted to ensure my money goes far enough on round 1 if that's what it's gonna be for me like AR-15's ended up being, lol. I can gladly get you some glamour shots of my knives but while on the cell phone and in the interim: Benchmade: Infidel, Adamas and a fixed Adamas. Emerson: CQC-7 and Commander. Flashlights: SureFire: EB1 and P2X Fury with IntelliBeam. One for the pocket and one I carry in a holster (fury). The IntelliBeam is priceless to me. I do a lot of work where I use my light to see or read up close and it's phenomenal.

I think aesthetics did it in for me with both of these companies. At least within my budget. Unfortunately, aesthetics is a factor for me even if it shouldn't be a decider like it was in this case. But I did give them both a look and thanks for your input!

Thanks for the reply! My cue budget is completely separate from my accessories budget, so a nice case is a must and thanks for the recommendation, I will look into JB cases. I THINK I'm going to play VERY often. And if it turns out I don't, I don't plan on selling anything and at least when I come back to it I'll start with quality products.

Thanks for the awesome reply! I definitely think I'm going Mezz and sticking with it. I wish I could easily find the time to go to a nice shop and try some of the shafts, but I think I'll just see if the stock 700 works and go with something else if it doesn't and just try to sell what I absolutely won't use. Life is all about loss, and a few bucks on a shaft isn't going to kill me. This is why I wanted to go wrapless, on top of the fraying or whatever. I think that takes a LONG time but will still likely happen. I have benchmade and Emerson knives as listed above, the Adamas being my favorite. Such a tough, hardened, feel good and fill the hand kinda knife. I grabbed a fixed blade for the beauty really since I'm not a hunter or anything but I still mess around with it on occasion. I had mine sharpened by a guy I found on YouTube and they're even better. I definitely recommend having a reputable guy sharpen all manufactured blades. They're just even better when they come back. I was afraid the tolerances on balance were too low to fix a new edge but that wasn't the case. Still a perfect balance. Thanks for your input! Really appreciate it.

And thank you all for the input! Honestly helping me in a world where no one wants to help each other anymore. Refreshing.

We really are not that nice.
We are pool players and have no life.
So answering posts like this gives us hope. :grin:

Dont forget to post what you finally buy.
that way i can sleep well.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We really are not that nice.
We are pool players and have no life.
So answering posts like this gives us hope. :grin:

Dont forget to post what you finally buy.
that way i can sleep well.

And so some of the other "really, really, really nice" people can tell you how you screwed up and bought a POS and should have bought something else. :) LOL.

I think he will be happy with any of the cues he has kind of narrowed his focus on. They are quality cues.

B0r

Registered
And so some of the other "really, really, really nice" people can tell you how you screwed up and bought a POS and should have bought something else. :) LOL.

I think he will be happy with any of the cues he has kind of narrowed his focus on. They are quality cues.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, lol. I would've already placed the order and made a bunch of nice people hate on me for my poor decision, but someone broke into my house lastnight while my wife and I were upstairs watching a movie. They removed the screen and climbed through my front window and took my wife's MacBook, both my kids tablets and a Bluetooth speaker. As someone who has a gun permanently attached to their hip unless I'm in my boxers, I'll tell you this can happen to anyone. The movie was loud enough that we couldn't hear anything. Looks like I'm going to lose some more money for some cameras and a dedicated screen+motion alarm. Oh, America.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, lol. I would've already placed the order and made a bunch of nice people hate on me for my poor decision, but someone broke into my house lastnight while my wife and I were upstairs watching a movie. They removed the screen and climbed through my front window and took my wife's MacBook, both my kids tablets and a Bluetooth speaker. As someone who has a gun permanently attached to their hip unless I'm in my boxers, I'll tell you this can happen to anyone. The movie was loud enough that we couldn't hear anything. Looks like I'm going to lose some more money for some cameras and a dedicated screen+motion alarm. Oh, America.

Really sorry to hear of this.
Buy a big dog. Best alarm there is.
German Shepard or any mid sized dog that will alert you.
Dog barks, you shoot, game over.