Shooting a ball within D on foul - observation

r9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the rules state you can shoot an "on" ball no matter of it's position on a scratch.
I know most places in U.S. have different local rules but I thought this was interesting.
Of 40 years of playing around mainly IL and neighboring states,,,, players always said that you cannot shoot at a ball within the D when you have ball in hand with in the D after a scratch.
I wonder how that was started. I think maybe since maybe before ball in hand in pocket billiards rules, you couldn't shoot at balls behind the headstring on a scratch and that someone must have thought the snooker D was a sacred area on a scratch and must be treated the same way.

Watching the pro tourneys televised from overseas, I have never seen that situation arise.
I know they play great and hardly pocket the cue ball but has anyone seen that situation in a televised pro tourney?

Any thoughts, opinions, agreements, disagreements appreciated

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know they play great and hardly pocket the cue ball but has anyone seen that situation in a televised pro tourney? ....
I think I've seen a player go in-off on the green or brown in which case the incoming player is more or less playing the shot you're talking about. I don't think I've ever seen a pro match in which, for example, a red in the D is played after an in-off.

I thought that maybe "American" snooker, which is about 80% like snooker, might have had a "no ball in the D" rule, but the rule set I have explicitly states that "balk is no protection".

paaca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Canada, which essentially uses the WPBSA rules, a ball in hand can be played in any direction from within the D. There is no prohibition from playing an object ball which is also within the D.