Theory v Application

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Theory v Application.......in other words......it looks good on paper, but does in work in real life. Paper world versus real world.

What this means is how well do ideas that are represented on paper in a 2d world translate to being usable in the real 3d world.

Top and front perspective views of pool shots are only good to illustrate ideas and concepts but are useless for any form of aiming.

The pic below is real world view of shot......nothing like the top and perspective views so many want to use as a way to aim.

In this pic.....the balls are solid.........you cannot see inside them nor through them as some drawings seem illustrate can be done.

In this pic......the pov is not from overhead nor 1/2 ball above the table as used in many of the drawings, but from standing at the table in real life.

Use this drawing to illustrate what is done on paper in 2d....go ahead, I dare ya.

When designing a system, there are requirements than need to be determined first. It appears that the only requirement for many is the shot below. That is the only 2d drawings ever done for aiming when in the real pool playing world there are banks, caroms, combos, kicks and at times, a mix of shots...ie a combo that is a dead bank.

Oh the the good ole rail first.

So, in order to use the ideas that so many seem to think are wonderful on paper require you to live in a make believe world. You have to imagine things that are not there, which makes all aiming system subjective.

Why? Why add this extra lever of difficulty just because it might look good on paper?

If the OB is this far from pocket than do this, I mean really.......way too many unnecessary steps to worry about.

And yes.....unnecessary in the real pool playing world......how can I say such blasphemy......cause I play pool and never have had do anything different in aiming or stroking based on how far the OB is from the pocket.

But then again, I don't aim......I place balls at various points on the table.

Oh whats the angle? 14, 15, 16 ......anyone?

Attachments

• IMAG0245.jpg
    IMAG0245.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
And for all those stick aiming , pivot drawings......

where is a real shot for ya to use to illustrate those concepts...6 in the corner past the 9....

HMMMMM how come none of the drawings ever show shooting jacked up over a ball........wonder why? Could it be all those drawing truly do not reflect the pool playing world?

Attachments

• IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 398

halfwaycrook

Registered
I'll take a shot at this...

Your first one there is CTE ETA...

That other one, being forced to jack up your bridge over another ball doesn't change its visuals to the corner pocket... there is still a center to this CB, there are still edges to the OB... what does change is your pivot to cheat the pocket.

I'm no great shot maker, I'm not a position playing genius. That's just my 2 cents. Other more proficient players might be able to explain better...

-HWC-

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 8ball shot is a 7/8 hit using fractional aim points. If you had the same angle from 7ft
out it would still be a 7/8 shot.

The 6 passing the 9 is a low percentage shot for the average player. It requires a certain feel
to hit that gap. We may have that feel because we've played a lifetime to get it. Aiming
methods/systems are not intended to help players that have such a feel. They are intended
to help players develop a feel. Eventually, whether a player learns with CTE or fractional ball
aiming, or whatever, that player will develop a feel for shots like this 6 ball.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Theory v Application.......in other words......it looks good on paper, but does in work in real life. Paper world versus real world.

What this means is how well do ideas that are represented on paper in a 2d world translate to being usable in the real 3d world.

Top and front perspective views of pool shots are only good to illustrate ideas and concepts but are useless for any form of aiming.

The pic below is real world view of shot......nothing like the top and perspective views so many want to use as a way to aim.

In this pic.....the balls are solid.........you cannot see inside them nor through them as some drawings seem illustrate can be done.

In this pic......the pov is not from overhead nor 1/2 ball above the table as used in many of the drawings, but from standing at the table in real life.

Use this drawing to illustrate what is done on paper in 2d....go ahead, I dare ya.

When designing a system, there are requirements than need to be determined first. It appears that the only requirement for many is the shot below. That is the only 2d drawings ever done for aiming when in the real pool playing world there are banks, caroms, combos, kicks and at times, a mix of shots...ie a combo that is a dead bank.

Oh the the good ole rail first.

So, in order to use the ideas that so many seem to think are wonderful on paper require you to live in a make believe world. You have to imagine things that are not there, which makes all aiming system subjective.

Why? Why add this extra lever of difficulty just because it might look good on paper?

If the OB is this far from pocket than do this, I mean really.......way too many unnecessary steps to worry about.

And yes.....unnecessary in the real pool playing world......how can I say such blasphemy......cause I play pool and never have had do anything different in aiming or stroking based on how far the OB is from the pocket.

But then again, I don't aim......I place balls at various points on the table.

Oh whats the angle? 14, 15, 16 ......anyone?

On this shot....7 1/2 degrees

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
Imagination

After examining your stance and your view of the balls from your position, I can imagine how you use a contact patch style of shooting. Since it works for you I can imagine it could be used by other people with the same more upright stance. I use a lower position and your idea doesn't work for me. Imagine that.

All you are doing with your insistence of no 1//2 ball hit, no edges, and etc. is showing your lack of imagination.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 8ball shot is a 7/8 hit using fractional aim points. If you had the same angle from 7ft
out it would still be a 7/8 shot.

The 6 passing the 9 is a low percentage shot for the average player. It requires a certain feel
to hit that gap. We may have that feel because we've played a lifetime to get it. Aiming
methods/systems are not intended to help players that have such a feel. They are intended
to help players develop a feel. Eventually, whether a player learns with CTE or fractional ball
aiming, or whatever, that player will develop a feel for shots like this 6 ball.

I think the point is, why make a sectional drawing from a 1-1/8" viewpoint above the playing surface, to represent what someone approaches from a minimum of 8-12 degrees above? It's humanly impossible unless you tilt your head 90 degrees and rest your ear against the table - and that's only one eye. Even looking from the rail, the bumper is 5/7ths ball height, and the rail even higher.

That said, I think it would be far easier to sight the TOP of the CB to the spot on the OB, whether it be the edge or fraction.

Interestingly, I'd think the more difficult thing for a newbie would be hitting exact center of CB, of which these aiming systems rely. Forgetting margin-of-error for a moment. If it is true, as someone mentioned on another thread, that people have a hard time manually marking the contact point on the felt of the GB in relation to the OB, what chance do they have hitting dead nuts center on the CB? Maybe, if one's a newb, he's/she's using a house cue with a flat tip, and now they've increased their margin of error for hitting dead center by virtue of a flat tip. Or it's 1758 and they're using a mace.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
When I walk up to a table that I randomly rolled the balls out onto the table, the pic below is a example of what I may see.

What I do with them depends on what the objective is of that roll out.

The objective could be any one of the following:
Any ball, any pocket, any spin
Any ball, any pocket, specific type of spin
Stripes then solids, solids then stripes
Solid, stripe, solid, stripe.....
banks....one two,three rails
carom
combos
Any combination of the above three
kicks....one, two, three rail
Safety battles with myself
And a few more, this is just a short list

Some of the shooting positions could be:
shooting jacked up over a ball
shooting one handed
shooting behind my back
shooting with the CB frozen to a rail
shooting goofy footed
shooting leaned out across the table, cue no where under my head
shooting with the bridge
and a few more

This list comes from what I have experienced in spending alot of time at the table. This list are the requirements I judge any aiming system on.

The killer of all aiming systems is spin. Once any from of spin is used, every system fails. Even when this is mentioned, in passing by the system designer, it gets overlooked. This is why aiming systems look good on paper, but are not truely able to be applied in the real world.

Kinda like thinking the world is flat......looks good on paper, but in reality, it aint so.

Roll 15 out there and use nothing but high inside on all cut shots. Meaning if the cut shot is a right cut into a corner, then use top right spin. That drive the sticking aiming and pivot boys crazy.

Freeze a OB next to the CB and shot jacked up.......what now with the bridge hand needs to be xx distance away?

Use the bridge........how the hell you gonna get your head over the cue?

Oh.........I made the 6 past the 9......wasn't a low percentage shot for me.

Every shot I post.......I made...........first try.....no miss and try again, no practice then film as was done with the curtain shots.

I'm about mastering pool, not going from a APA 3 to APA 4. This prevents me from accepting any form of bullshit about what it takes to do so.

This is also why I want those that do have the same level of passion to master the games of pool to understand what it truely takes which does not include any make believe, pretending things are there when they are not.

Its amazing one little guy can cause such a uproar......just because I refuse to believe in things that are wrong.........like spheres have edges, you can hit fraction of a ball and there are objective aiming systems. (Just waiting to be misquoted on the last one.....as people with no character are apt to do.)

Well, maybe is just that it proves them wrong in there thinking and just too willing to remain ignorant of the real world.....unwilling to learn and grow.....ie flat world thinkers of old.

Attachments

• multiball.jpg
    multiball.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 331

GoldenFlash

Banned
When I walk up to a table that I randomly rolled the balls out onto the table, the pic below is a example of what I may see.
The killer of all aiming systems is spin. Once any from of spin is used, every system fails. Even when this is mentioned, in passing by the system designer, it gets overlooked. This is why aiming systems look good on paper, but are not truely able to be applied in the real world.
Roll 15 out there and use nothing but high inside on all cut shots. Meaning if the cut shot is a right cut into a corner, then use top right spin. That drive the sticking aiming and pivot boys crazy.
Well, maybe is just that it proves them wrong in there thinking and just too willing to remain ignorant of the real world.....unwilling to learn and grow.....ie flat world thinkers of old.
I just rolled out 15 and then 9. (24 total.)
Hit every shot using CTE and inside spin on all cut shots, like you demanded.....high and low. They all went in the pockets.
Your turn...................(I already know what you're going to say...and that is: "I don't believe you Flash, prove it")
dear_god_stop.jpg

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
There is your problem, you don't practice stop shots.

carom
combos

shooting one handed
shooting behind my back
shooting goofy footed
shooting with the bridge
and a few more

This list comes from what I have experienced in spending alot of time at the table. This list are the requirements I judge any aiming system on.

Kinda like thinking the world is flat......looks good on paper, but in reality, it aint so.

Freeze a OB next to the CB and shot jacked up.......what now with the bridge hand needs to be xx distance away?

Every shot I post.......I made...........first try.....no miss and try again, no practice then film as was done with the curtain shots.

I'm about mastering pool, not going from a APA 3 to APA 4. This prevents me from accepting any form of bullshit about what it takes to do so.

This is also why I want those that do have the same level of passion to master the games of pool to understand what it truely takes which does not include any make believe, pretending things are there when they are not.

Its amazing one little guy can cause such a uproar......just because I refuse to believe in things that are wrong.........like spheres have edges, you can hit fraction of a ball and there are objective aiming systems. (Just waiting to be misquoted on the last one.....as people with no character are apt to do.)

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just rolled out 15 and then 9. (24 total.)
Hit every shot using CTE and inside spin on all cut shots, like you demanded.....high and low. They all went in the pockets.
Your turn...................(I already know what you're going to say...and that is: "I don't believe you Flash, prove it")
View attachment 451965

APA 3 running out 24 balls.... Yeah, right...

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got it wrong again. You know, you're pretty good at that. :)
I'm now down to an APA 2....................and very proud of my accomplishments.
How about you?
:dance:

Run 24 balls, even ball in hand, I'd put you at 4 or 5. So either somthing is amiss with the story, or the flood hates broke, cause that's some serious sandbagging.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

carom
combos

shooting one handed
shooting behind my back
shooting goofy footed
shooting with the bridge
and a few more

Please make a video on how to play straight pool. I'd love to learn, maybe then I could be an APA 4, finally. Obviously I'd have to move to the States and join the APA first, but that would all be worth it. I mean I obviously have a lot to learn about leaning over the table without being behind the ball properly and shooting behind my back. Obviously I have been using the bridge wrong as well, since my head is perfectly in line with the cue, thus making aiming normally a trivial task.

I see Golden Flash has now been demoted to an APA 2, which I think means he must have had gender reassignment surgery, since only women can be "APA 2s" from what I hear, but that 24 run sounded pretty impressive to me. I think maybe I should call myself an APA 1 for the time being.

If you do make a video, Duckie, I promise I will watch it. I'm always keen to improve my game, and you seem pretty pleased with your ability, so I guess you could teach me a lot. I consider myself a student of the game, so if you have any wisdom to impart that could help me pocket balls better, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

GoldenFlash

Banned
Please make a video on how to play straight pool. I'd love to learn, maybe then I could be an APA 4, finally. Obviously I'd have to move to the States and join the APA first, but that would all be worth it. I mean I obviously have a lot to learn about leaning over the table without being behind the ball properly and shooting behind my back. Obviously I have been using the bridge wrong as well, since my head is perfectly in line with the cue, thus making aiming normally a trivial task.<===don't forget about learning (according to Duckie) there is no such thing as a half ball hit.:D

I see Golden Flash has now been demoted to an APA 2, which I think means he must have had gender reassignment surgery, since only women can be "APA 2s" from what I hear, but that 24 run sounded pretty impressive to me. I think maybe I should call myself an APA 1 for the time being. THAT is some funny stuff, my friend,.....gotta' like that sense of humor
(Along those lines, if my wife finds out I bought another, as she calls it, "damn fool pool stick".....there may be some gender changing surgery taking place while I'm sleeping):eek:
Regards,
Flash
TheShadowCropped.jpg

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please make a video on how to play straight pool. I'd love to learn, maybe then I could be an APA 4, finally. Obviously I'd have to move to the States and join the APA first, but that would all be worth it. I mean I obviously have a lot to learn about leaning over the table without being behind the ball properly and shooting behind my back. Obviously I have been using the bridge wrong as well, since my head is perfectly in line with the cue, thus making aiming normally a trivial task.<===don't forget about learning (according to Duckie) there is no such thing as a half ball hit.:D

I see Golden Flash has now been demoted to an APA 2, which I think means he must have had gender reassignment surgery, since only women can be "APA 2s" from what I hear, but that 24 run sounded pretty impressive to me. I think maybe I should call myself an APA 1 for the time being. THAT is some funny stuff, my friend,.....gotta' like that sense of humor
(Along those lines, if my wife finds out I bought another, as she calls it, "damn fool pool stick".....there may be some gender changing surgery taking place while I'm sleeping):eek:
Regards,
Flash
View attachment 451991

LOL she might just use that new purchase to do the penectomy...

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

carom
combos

shooting one handed
shooting behind my back
shooting goofy footed
shooting with the bridge
and a few more

Believe it or not, there is a flat-earth-movement going on now... Kind of scary, actually.

That said, while I do agree with you mostly on this, I don't see the harm in anyone learning something different. What's the big deal if it doesn't affect you or me? If it gets them to their next goal, so what? Not everyone's goal is to possess mastery at pool, believe it or not.

I learn other things, whether I believe them to be right or wrong, whether it's intuitive or not for me, because it brings me to an understanding. And maybe, just maybe, I get one tidbit of information that I'll recall; whether it helps me, or whether I pass it along.