Price, Pierce, or Gilbert

edep12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi. I'm new to this forum but from what I have seen there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable people who have given me lots of good information/advice and I was hoping people would offer me even more of their opinions on my next issue. I am researching the purchase of my very first custom built cue and I need your help.

I want the purchase to be from a respected cue builder and have done some looking around but woulfd like to know what some of you guys/gals think of a couple of the cue makers I was considering.

Let me give you at least a little info that may be useful to you in order to form an opinion:

1. I don't want to get terribly specific about my budget (I think that would be something I would want to reserve for once I decide who I am going to work with), but for the sake of being able to ballpark it to help me find the right person let's set $1500 as a ceiling.

2. I want an experienced and respected cue maker that the fine posters of this board would not necessarily all agree as the best choice (I have been around long enough to know that's a pipe dream :wink:), but the majority would agree was a solid choice.

3. I want someone who is accessible and easy to work with and builds a solid player.

4. While I want it to look good I want it to pocket balls too. Equal parts quality/playable/practical I guess is what I'm trying to say.

5. Would want 1 of the shafts to be a production "techie" (i.e. Predator 314-2/Z2, Mezz WX 900, etc.).

6. I don't need it to be crazy elaborate, but it will require at least a little finesse. Looking for a 4 pointer with veneer work on points and some "windows"/inlays on the butt sleeve, etc.

7. I want it in a reasonable amount of time. I am willing to wait 2-3 months for the cue to be built but I would go somewhere else (or find an "on hand" custom I like from a cue maker I respect) vs. sitting on a waiting list for 2 years. I don't care how good you are or what kind of deal I'm getting, I'm not waiting 2 years.

Lastly, if you look at the thread title I have 3 names listed for makers that I have seen and like (Jerry Price, Jim Pierce, or Andy Gilbert). What do you guys (and gals) think of their work and would you strongly prefer any one over another. Also, if there are others you would recommend (for a "yay" or "nay"), let'em fly.

Thanks in advamce guys, I really appreciate your help!

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi. I'm new to this forum but from what I have seen there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable people who have given me lots of good information/advice and I was hoping people would offer me even more of their opinions on my next issue. I am researching the purchase of my very first custom built cue and I need your help.

I want the purchase to be from a respected cue builder and have done some looking around but woulfd like to know what some of you guys/gals think of a couple of the cue makers I was considering.

Let me give you at least a little info that may be useful to you in order to form an opinion:

1. I don't want to get terribly specific about my budget (I think that would be something I would want to reserve for once I decide who I am going to work with), but for the sake of being able to ballpark it to help me find the right person let's set $1500 as a ceiling.

2. I want an experienced and respected cue maker that the fine posters of this board would not necessarily all agree as the best choice (I have been around long enough to know that's a pipe dream :wink:), but the majority would agree was a solid choice.

3. I want someone who is accessible and easy to work with and builds a solid player.

4. While I want it to look good I want it to pocket balls too. Equal parts quality/playable/practical I guess is what I'm trying to say.

5. Would want 1 of the shafts to be a production "techie" (i.e. Predator 314-2/Z2, Mezz WX 900, etc.).

6. I don't need it to be crazy elaborate, but it will require at least a little finesse. Looking for a 4 pointer with veneer work on points and some "windows"/inlays on the butt sleeve, etc.

7. I want it in a reasonable amount of time. I am willing to wait 2-3 months for the cue to be built but I would go somewhere else (or find an "on hand" custom I like from a cue maker I respect) vs. sitting on a waiting list for 2 years. I don't care how good you are or what kind of deal I'm getting, I'm not waiting 2 years.

Lastly, if you look at the thread title I have 3 names listed for makers that I have seen and like (Jerry Price, Jim Pierce, or Andy Gilbert). What do you guys (and gals) think of their work and would you strongly prefer any one over another. Also, if there are others you would recommend (for a "yay" or "nay"), let'em fly.

Thanks in advamce guys, I really appreciate your help!

You are gonna be hard presses to find anybody to build a cue in thy time frame. The wood could move and your cue or not their name on the cue forever

capnp72

Registered
No respectable cue maker will build a cue in 2 months. You should expect at least a 5 or 6 month wait from when they start to build the cue. If you don't want to wait, you can look at places such as Superior Cues that sell new custom cues or you can find a slightly used cue at places such as Cornerstone Cues. I think you might get a little more cue for your money if you find a nice used cue. There are also many members here who sell nice used cues. If you haven't already, you should check out the for sale/wanted section. Good luck with your search.

edep12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went with Jimmie Pierce and couldn't be happier. Took some pics but the lighting sucks. Will add more later.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 392
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 401

brokenarrowjbe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brent Hartman, Eric Crisp, Bob Thompson, Ariel Carmeli, Schon, Jacoby, Wes Hunter, are all well known names and there are many others. What exactly makes the three you have chosen stand out? If you want a cue that fast you should be looking at used or already built cues. Indycue, Deano, Bama have nice cues listed.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey bro, i was wondering why did u say the woods will certainly move as i was in talk with Jim Pierce and Pat Diveney of getting a cue done and the waiting time is within 4 - 6 weeks.

Dont get me wrong, just wanna clarify :)

ktmrider765

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey bro, i was wondering why did u say the woods will certainly move as i was in talk with Jim Pierce and Pat Diveney of getting a cue done and the waiting time is within 4 - 6 weeks.

Dont get me wrong, just wanna clarify :)

This may help clarify the concern:
If wood is cut down to fast it has a greater chance of warping...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may help clarify the concern:
If wood is cut down to fast it has a greater chance of warping...

Hey bro, yeah i heard of that concept. But Jim Pierce and Pat Diveney are whom i will considered "established " makers, so are their waiting time of below 2 months 3 too quick or is this concept flawed ?

Just confused ??!!

Sincerely,
Ryan

ktmrider765

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Theres a lot of variables..others can give.better info than me..but it depends on the cue you want..and if they already have that wood turned down or a blank ready to go and coring etc. etc. ..just depedns on the process and whos doing it..if its a rush job..find or ask about blanks..or they usually have wood turned down to a specific dia. to reduce length of time...others here can give better info than myself..could also move it to ask the cue maker section