Allen Green is under rated

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just received my new cue from Allen, and I am shocked I haven't heard more about him. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=326947

Now that I have it in hand, I felt that it might be nice to do a review.
First of all, execution on the cue is excellent. The quality of construction is impressive. Veneer work is great, points are all even, joint work is first rate, the wrap is installed well and pressed exactly right, and the finish is flawless.

This was meant to be a player, and so this is the important part. Hit is subjective, so I will do the best I can. What I was after, was a hit as firm as my Schons, pretty firm, but with the ability to impart a little more finesse on english. Probably a cross between my '72 Joss West, and a Schon, as far as playability. It is spot on. I have had some nice cues, and have played enough to develop a taste for what's right for me. What's difficult is imparting that to a maker, so he could give me what I want. This is probably the easiest cue I have picked up, to adjust to. I know that "low deflection" is a popular fad these days, but feel and feedback through the shaft have always been far more important to me. I feel it a testament to Allen Green's work, that I could put the cue ball within an inch of where I wanted it on the table after the second shot. That speaks consistency and quality to me.

I ran the price up on mine a little, by getting two shafts, and Ivory ferrules, but in spite of that, this cue was a bargain. If you are interested in a beautiful player, at a steal of a deal, you really need to consider Allen for your next cue. He might never have the name to make his cues collectable, but you will be hard pressed to find a better player for his prices. If the word gets out on the quality of his hit, you might see value go up higher.

It qualifies as my main player now, and it beat out some pretty good competition.

P.S. All the rings were in perfect alignment also. That is not always the case, and it can be a big turnoff to me.

Last edited:

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Allen Green

I totally agree. Mine plays great. I just got back from BCA and had several people ask me about mine but nobody had heard of him. Even some guys from Houston which was suprising. I dont know how many he builds a year but he may stay relatively anonymous until more people get their hands on them. I have pics of mine posted in my album if anyone is interested.

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Just picked one of these cues up. The craftsmanship is amazing. The points are all even. The colors are vibrant. The hit is solid, the weight is a bit heavy but I can lighten it up. This became my main playing cue after a few racks. I even switched to a 1x1 Predator case because I don't need anything else.

I'm waiting for a response back Allen so I can get a build started.

I am a huge fan of older style cues and these play top notch.

dannylee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no but you can contact him if you want - just send me a PM and I will give you his cell number

mjjie

Registered
i Email him before, but i didnt get any respond,maybe he is too busy to building cues. would you please give me his contact info? thank you

mjjie

Registered
no but you can contact him if you want - just send me a PM and I will give you his cell number
Hello,Mr Lee.
i am interesting on allen's cue. but i cant find his contact info. would you might give his cell number to me please?

mcrisp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just received a new Plain Jane ebony cue with ring work and a leather wrap from Allen. Very well done with a GREAT hit. Definitely one of the better cue makers.