Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page 200 points...
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
I think it was at least partially that. But it also reflected the small number of matches involved, including an outlier game in those 2016 stats -- the Immonen/Zvi match went 46 innings for each player with 22 missed shots and 30 fouls (22 intentional).

As for that table last year, I think (I'm not sure) they may be using the same one this year. But I have heard no mention of that, perhaps because Rasson doesn't seem to be a sponsor this year.
Immonen and Zvi were the first match on the table with small pockets (which was installed late in the tournament) and both seemed spooked. It was very hard to make a ball in the sides from anywhere in the rack area, so patterns had to be altered. A few matches later Earl stepped up and ran 135-and-out which was the high run for that event, IIRC.

You could not fit two balls into the side pockets on the Rasson table in 2016.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#17)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-07-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Immonen and Zvi were the first match on the table with small pockets (which was installed late in the tournament) and both seemed spooked. It was very hard to make a ball in the sides from anywhere in the rack area, so patterns had to be altered. A few matches later Earl stepped up and ran 135-and-out which was the high run for that event, IIRC.

You could not fit two balls into the side pockets on the Rasson table in 2016.
Correct. And whether they are using that table again, I don't know. Several mentions have been made of tight side pockets.

Another possibility is that it is the Olhausen table used in 2013 when Appleton ran the 200. But I don't remember that 2013 table as being particularly tight.

Old
  (#18)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

10-07-2017, 09:34 PM

Well, we just had a semifinal match that went 4 hours and 23 minutes. And, at least near the end, it was interesting!

Old
  (#19)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2017, 09:00 AM

I have a problem with 200 points and I have a problem with using 4 1/2 inch pockets for straight pool. Why? I attended the matches on Thursday this week at Steinway,I had a conversation with one of the top pros- Mika - he admitted that the "REAL" tournament does not start until Friday - essentially when all of the guys who don't play pool full time are eliminated. Now I am a fairly good non - pro straight pool player who can get up and run 60 or 70 on standard pockets- not on 41/2s. So in a 150 point match with larger pockets- I have the opportunity to beat any pro in a given match- if I have two good runs and a few good safes. I don't stand a chance on 41/2s and 200 or 300 points for sure- so why bother to participate for a $550 entry fee?
If the purpose of holding this tournament is to keep straight pool alive and interesting as I have seen advertised by the promoters- i would suggest making it a tournament within reach of the REAL supporters of this grand game - tight pockets and longer matches just narrow the field down to a predicitble, elite few as we can see by the results- they don't lie - and you just do not generate any NEW support or interest in the game- It would be much more fun to see guys running 100s more often- just my opinion.

Old
  (#20)
wigglybridge
14.1 straight pool!
wigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond reputewigglybridge has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2017, 09:12 AM

i also found all of the 200-point matches on Saturday really, Really interesting. no problem with those. the match between Mika & Thorsten was Super, and obviously the result would've been different if it were a 150-point match.

maybe my perceived problem on Friday was just the bad play? i've had this reaction before in this tournament, though, so i'm not sure.

or maybe it's like good art: "i know it when i see it"

cues: OB-122 w/ OB Classic shaft & Lucasi Hybrid LHSP

www.bobmills.org

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: