Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Straight Pool Deluxe iPad App
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
cstrombe
AzB Silver Member
cstrombe is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

05-20-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderWebComm View Post
What are you using to develop? There are a few platforms to code once and output to any OS.

Dave
You are correct, but I have not investigated any of those yet. I'll have to look into it. Am using the Apple Xcode platform currently.

---------------------------------------------------
14.1 High Run: 18
Try my straight pool iPad scoring app:
http://fourteen-one.com/app/

Old
  (#17)
sfleinen
14.1 & One Pocket Addict
sfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

05-20-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrombe View Post
You are correct, but I have not investigated any of those yet. I'll have to look into it. Am using the Apple Xcode platform currently.
I agree with the bolded -- you DO need to look into it. Coding apps for a single platform is like coding websites to be viewable only with a certain browser. "This site can only be viewed with Apple Safari." R-i-g-h-t.

-Sean

P.S.: after Apple bought Beats, did you hear about the new feature they announced for the Beats headphones? It's called treble.

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." -Isaac Asimov

"They haven't got brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't think." -Eeyore, The House at Pooh Corner

Old
  (#18)
mnhighrunlist
AzB Silver Member
mnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond repute

05-24-2014, 05:45 AM

Used my Straight Pool Deluxe App in a 125 point game with a fellow league member, Hank, yesterday. I showed him the basics of how to run the scoring and we were off. Works well but differs from Billiards Buddy that you don't have to wait until rack is over to "post" your score..it is real time and accumulates with each ball pocketed. Also displays number of balls you or your opponent is behind in the game (nice feature). I made a scoring error which was very easy to back out and correct. Hank was running short on time and we cut the game short at 100 balls (easy to do as has button just for that function). Keeps more game and player stats then any statistics guru might want.

One of the features I like best is the shot and game timer. In league we have a few extremely slow players and now I will be able to show them how slow they actually play (with the thought speeding their play up).

Has link to World Standardized rules which is great.

I also have an IPhone, but think the App is more suited for an Ipad bigger screen.

I am impressed with the App and will use it for all of my games going forward as it will keep a history of BPI, high runs, avg shot time, etc.

-Dennis

Last edited by mnhighrunlist; 05-24-2014 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Added something I had forgotten.

Old
  (#19)
cstrombe
AzB Silver Member

05-24-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhighrunlist View Post

I am impressed with the App and will use it for all of my games going forward as it will keep a history of BPI, high runs, avg shot time, etc.

-Dennis
Hi Dennis, thanks for the feedback, glad you like the app. A couple of notes on some features: there are two scoring modes, rack mode and "real time" mode, so you can switch between them by tapping just below the score. Also, if you tap the Points Behind, it will switch to Points Remaining.

Let me know if you find any issues or think of features that would make the app more useful. Also, would really appreciate a review in App Store .

Thanks,
Chris

Old
  (#20)
jayrox
Toxic Moose
jayrox has a reputation beyond reputejayrox has a reputation beyond reputejayrox has a reputation beyond reputejayrox has a reputation beyond reputejayrox has a reputation beyond reputejayrox has a reputation beyond reputejayrox has a reputation beyond reputejayrox has a reputation beyond reputejayrox has a reputation beyond reputejayrox has a reputation beyond reputejayrox has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Recently purchased the app. 14.1 isn't popular around my neck of the woods, but a team mate and I have recently started playing. Still learning the rules and think this app will make things a little easier. We'll be using tonight for the first time.

Jason

Playing Cue: 60" Twisted Turtle (Sweet!! )
Other Cues: Barnhart Merry Widow
Break Cues: Bebot Bautista J/B & Predator BK2
Jump Cues: Jacoby
Case: 3x6 J. Flowers Tribute

App
Old
  (#21)
dmgwalsh
Straight Pool Fanatic
dmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1400

App - 06-03-2014, 01:02 PM

I purchased the app yesterday and used it last night.

has a ton of cool features. not sure that i was scoring exactly right. did not differentiate between fouls, scratches, intentional fouls early on. Tons of stats. love the timer.

A couple of times when my opponent did not hit miss, i got up there and credited my balls to him. need to look where the green light is,

looking forward to using it going forward.

Old
  (#22)
poolmouse
AzB Silver Member
poolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
My straight pool scoring app, Straight Pool Deluxe, was just accepted by the App Store. Itís iPad (and iPad Mini) only.

Iím working on creating a stripped-down free version to allow people to give it a test run, but for now itís priced at $4.99. Iíll PM a promo code for a free install to the first responder on this thread who indicates they would like to try it out (but remember, is iPad only)! This forum was very helpful during app development, so happy to "give back" in some small way.

Also would appreciate any feedback on the app from users here.

Hereís App Store link with screenshots and features: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stra...870290295?mt=8

Scoring dashboard screenshot:

Thanks,
Chris
Looks good...another product to look at too:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bill...399341220?mt=8

Old
  (#23)
cstrombe
AzB Silver Member

06-03-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgwalsh View Post
I purchased the app yesterday and used it last night.

has a ton of cool features. not sure that i was scoring exactly right. did not differentiate between fouls, scratches, intentional fouls early on. Tons of stats. love the timer.

A couple of times when my opponent did not hit miss, i got up there and credited my balls to him. need to look where the green light is,

looking forward to using it going forward.
Hi Dennis, just fyi, you don't have to differentiate between foul types if you don't want to, it just tracks separately for stats geekery. One feature I want to add eventually is an option to just track all that as "fouls", without the scratch and intentional foul choices, for those who prefer the "standard" scoring and are not as into stat details

Thanks for giving the app a try.

-Chris

PS Sure would appreciate app store reviews from any happy users.

Old
  (#24)
dmgwalsh
Straight Pool Fanatic
dmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond reputedmgwalsh has a reputation beyond repute

06-04-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Hi Dennis, just fyi, you don't have to differentiate between foul types if you don't want to, it just tracks separately for stats geekery. One feature I want to add eventually is an option to just track all that as "fouls", without the scratch and intentional foul choices, for those who prefer the "standard" scoring and are not as into stat details

Thanks for giving the app a try.

-Chris

PS Sure would appreciate app store reviews from any happy users.
The more info, the better, i think.

I only used it one night so far, but intend to keep it up. have already talked about it to several in our league. once i get more use under my belt will do a review in the app store.

Old
  (#25)
mnhighrunlist
AzB Silver Member
mnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond reputemnhighrunlist has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2014, 07:58 AM

Love the app. How would I enter a "serious foul" into score. Let's say my opponent got stuck in the stack and instead of using a legal shot, used the ferrule on his cue to move the cue ball. That is a serious foul and -15 points and he has to re-break.

Old
  (#26)
cstrombe
AzB Silver Member

06-10-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhighrunlist View Post
Love the app. How would I enter a "serious foul" into score. Let's say my opponent got stuck in the stack and instead of using a legal shot, used the ferrule on his cue to move the cue ball. That is a serious foul and -15 points and he has to re-break.
Hmmm...that seems to fall under "6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct" in the rules...I have not added that feature to the app. I figured it was rare enough that it didn't need to be in the initial release However, I would like the app to be 100% rule-compliant, so will add this to the list of features to implement. Does this come up occasionally in league play?

Thanks for the feedback.

Old
  (#27)
mnhighrunlist
AzB Silver Member

06-10-2014, 10:30 AM

Comes up on rare occasion. I have had it happen to me twice in last 10 or so years. I could see that when an "unsportsmanlike conduct" foul occurs app would take you to a decision tree with points penalty and re-break or not. Serious fouls can be disposition with various degrees of penalties.

Old
  (#28)
Brokedryagain
AzB Bronze Member
Brokedryagain has a reputation beyond reputeBrokedryagain has a reputation beyond reputeBrokedryagain has a reputation beyond reputeBrokedryagain has a reputation beyond reputeBrokedryagain has a reputation beyond reputeBrokedryagain has a reputation beyond reputeBrokedryagain has a reputation beyond reputeBrokedryagain has a reputation beyond reputeBrokedryagain has a reputation beyond reputeBrokedryagain has a reputation beyond reputeBrokedryagain has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2014, 12:50 PM

I bought the APP after reading the postings earlier this week. Although I mostly play the Ghost at home, this time we kept real score so even for practice, the game became more difficult. I usually gave myself some leeway on safeties or fouls or scratches but not now.

Thanks for creating this.
Keith

Old
  (#29)
cstrombe
AzB Silver Member

07-04-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokedryagain View Post
I bought the APP after reading the postings earlier this week. Although I mostly play the Ghost at home, this time we kept real score so even for practice, the game became more difficult. I usually gave myself some leeway on safeties or fouls or scratches but not now.

Thanks for creating this.
Keith
Thanks for the feedback Keith, glad you are enjoying the app.

-Chris

Old
  (#30)
dmgwalsh
Straight Pool Fanatic

07-04-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
My straight pool scoring app, Straight Pool Deluxe, was just accepted by the App Store. Itís iPad (and iPad Mini) only.

Iím working on creating a stripped-down free version to allow people to give it a test run, but for now itís priced at $4.99. Iíll PM a promo code for a free install to the first responder on this thread who indicates they would like to try it out (but remember, is iPad only)! This forum was very helpful during app development, so happy to "give back" in some small way.

Also would appreciate any feedback on the app from users here.

Hereís App Store link with screenshots and features: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stra...870290295?mt=8

Scoring dashboard screenshot:

Thanks,
Chris
I was trying to check player stats and the only player stats it will let me see are mine. It looks like it is supposed to allow me to check the stats on another player, but I cannot change it. Is there a trick to it?

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: