Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Pros don't know the rules
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Saturated Fats
AzB Silver Member
Saturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-30-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
I would say to saturated fats that he may know the the rules as well as any amateur - but if he went up against a seasoned pro in competition he would be shaking in his chair or maybe thinking bout how well he knew the rules.
Guilty as charged.

Old
  (#17)
Seth C.
AzB Silver Member
Seth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond repute

10-31-2017, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
Roger that Seth, it is different hitting the open break well and then finally after some defensive shots a player 'breaks free' with that first long ball. I just like the simplicity of the derby city 14.1 challenge format. When two players are competing and one knows all the rules - the other knows how to run racks I like betting on player that knows how to run out. Plus I'm tired of the generalizations ( the pros) it sounds as if saturated is a bit bitter towards pro pool players, guess he didn't want to single anyone out so he just made a generalization with ' the pro's don't know the rules'. My advice to saturated fats is pay less attention to the rule book and practice more ball in hand break shots. I know most of the rules in straight pool, I would say to saturated fats that he may know the the rules as well as any amateur - but if he went up against a seasoned pro in competition he would be shaking in his chair or maybe thinking bout how well he knew the rules.
This is an AZB forum and not Twitter, but if there were a "Like" function I'd sure "Like" this reply (and saturated's "guilty as charged")!

Old
  (#18)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-31-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth C. View Post
This is an AZB forum and not Twitter, but if there were a "Like" function I'd sure "Like" this reply ...
If you click on the "scales of justice" icon, you can add to the poster's "reputation" points. The system is not real functional but it is another way to let the poster know you found the post positive.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#19)
Demondrew
AzB Silver Member
Demondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond repute

11-24-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john coloccia View Post
In my experience, the main source of confusion is distinguishing between a breaking foul and just a regular foul on a break, i.e. if you drive two balls and the CB to a rail, but you scratch, that's a legal break (so no breaking foul) but it's a standard foul that counts towards the three. That happens a lot because you're always flirting with the corner pocket, and I'd say I have to remind them more than half the time what the rule is.

The other big one is that most of the guys I play with don't realize that you don't HAVE to re-rack after an illegal break. I can just take it as is.

Regardless, I'm sort of missing the days when high profile games had actual referees.
I had to settle this first instance in a match the other day in our league. The rule states:
From the WPA site.
4.10 Breaking Foul

A breaking foul is penalized by the loss of two points as mentioned under 4.3 Opening Break Shot, as well as a possible re-break. If both a standard foul and a breaking foul happen on one shot, it is considered a breaking foul.

So driving two balls and the cue ball to a rail and scratching (or committing some other foul) on the same shot is a breaking foul, not a regular foul. Or am I wrong?

Andy

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!

Old
  (#20)
john coloccia
AzB Silver Member
john coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond repute

11-24-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demondrew View Post
I had to settle this first instance in a match the other day in our league. The rule states:
From the WPA site.
4.10 Breaking Foul

A breaking foul is penalized by the loss of two points as mentioned under 4.3 Opening Break Shot, as well as a possible re-break. If both a standard foul and a breaking foul happen on one shot, it is considered a breaking foul.

So driving two balls and the cue ball to a rail and scratching (or committing some other foul) on the same shot is a breaking foul, not a regular foul. Or am I wrong?

Andy
It was a legal break because you drove two balls and the cue ball to a rail, so it's just a regular foul. All you need to execute a legal break is 2 balls and the cue ball to a rail. Once that happens, it's no longer a breaking foul....anything after that is just a regular foul.

If only one ball had hit a rail, and combined with a scratch, the rule says that's a breaking foul because a breaking foul takes precedence over the regular foul (the scratch)... So 2 points off and the incoming player decides to take the table or rerack, but it doesn't count towards the 3 fouls.

Old
  (#21)
Demondrew
AzB Silver Member
Demondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond repute

11-25-2017, 10:10 AM

OK, Got it.
Thanks.

Andy

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: