Score keeping error
Old
  (#1)
Seth C.
AzB Silver Member
Seth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond reputeSeth C. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Score keeping error - 11-15-2017, 12:47 PM

In watching the Jason Shaw-Rodney Morris match in the recent American 14.1 event, the commentators were of the understanding (whether they were correct or not, I'm not sure, and it doesn't matter for purposes of my question) that Shaw had neglected to update his score after one of the racks and was therefore thinking that he had pocketed 14 fewer balls than was in fact the case. This apparent deficit persisted, rack after rack. Shaw won the match (after pocketing 14 more balls than the commentators believed to be necessary), so the uncertainty about the score was ultimately academic. There was no referee.

The commentators' view was that keeping one's score is one's own responsibility, and that it would be improper for them (the commentators) to notify Shaw of his error. It struck me that they were implicitly saying that they saw nothing wrong with a player (here, Morris), if aware of his opponent's error, staying quiet.

Personally, I think that if you are aware that your opponent is shorting himself, you should tell him. Simply a matter of good sportsmanship. End of discussion. But I'm curious as to how this situation has played out in tournament matches that some of you, I'm guessing, have seen or been a part of.

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-15-2017, 01:05 PM

The rules don't cover very well what to do about scoring errors. My own feeling is that everyone should do their best to ensure an accurate score. I don't think it should all be on the player.

A celebrated error was in a tournament when the referee announced "Mr. Crane is playing for 3." (That's what the ref is supposed to do as appropriate.) Irving Crane then shot off the remaining balls figuring he only needed the 3 easy ones. Then the scorekeeper piped up, "Oops, Mr. Crane needs another ball."

Crane lost the match and a lawsuit ensued.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-15-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
The rules don't cover very well what to do about scoring errors. My own feeling is that everyone should do their best to ensure an accurate score. I don't think it should all be on the player.

A celebrated error was in a tournament when the referee announced "Mr. Crane is playing for 3." (That's what the ref is supposed to do as appropriate.) Irving Crane then shot off the remaining balls figuring he only needed the 3 easy ones. Then the scorekeeper piped up, "Oops, Mr. Crane needs another ball."

Crane lost the match and a lawsuit ensued.
Iím curious about the outcome of the lawsuit, Bob.

In snooker, it is up to the player to see that everything is in order when he shoots.
....Iím thinking that should include the proper score.
Iím not giving the Deacon much sympathy here....he lost track.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

https://www.facebook.com/skriptik/?ref=page_internal POOL PENS

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: