Reload this Page What's the Plan? 1
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
What's the Plan? 1
Old
  (#1)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member
bluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

What's the Plan? 1 - 11-25-2017, 07:42 AM

Hey, everyone. I had an idea for another puzzle series. I love the idea of instructional videos where the player comments from the table before shooting. I only know of two---Mike Sigel's 100-ball run instructional and AZB's Poolmanis YouTube run. Soon on my YouTube channel I plan to record videos of myself sharing my thoughts before each shot during a run for us to critique, not because I think I know enough at my level to instruct but because I think we can all benefit from a debate over what should or shouldn't be played next and why. Online, we have free access to many video matches of great players running balls. Watching those videos at normal speed is helpful, but I find that pausing them after each shot gives me time to make sense of the table, determine the most appropriate next shot, and more often predict the player's next move.

So how about we go slowly through a single rack, one shot per day, with screen captures of layouts that great players actually faced and worked their ways through? I'll start with the first rack, but please feel free to continue the series with your own screen captures, just making sure to use the next sequential number for the series in the title.

Any comments would be great, but what I think would be best would be for those commenting to evaluate as much of the entire table layout as it currently stands as possible, something like telling the story of each ball and what role it currently plays (clusters, key balls, break balls, insurance balls, problem balls and why, not problem balls and why not, pivot balls, balls that could be bumped into another role, etc.) And be as detailed as you can about the safest, most efficient plan going forward. Plans will change of course as we go through the rack with the player.

If this gets tedious and the series doesn't take off, I won't be offended. That's what eventually happened to the "Run This" series 9 years ago, but we had a good run.

So here's the first layout post-break shot. What's the plan?

Name:  1A.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  182.2 KB

Last edited by bluepepper; 11-25-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Old
  (#2)
john coloccia
AzB Silver Member
john coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond repute

11-25-2017, 09:45 PM

I would probably pocket the stripe in the lower left and try to run into the 3, knowing I have the 8 next regardless. Then I'd reevaluate based on where I ended up. To my eye, the 3 and the 13 are the balls that are screwing it up.

That said, I suck at this, so....

Looking forward to what better players have to say. My shot selection generally sucks, or so I'm told.

Old
  (#3)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member
bluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond repute

11-26-2017, 06:23 AM

Thanks, John! Anyone else? I'll give it another day before I post where the player ended up.

Old
  (#4)
Saturated Fats
AzB Silver Member
Saturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond repute

11-27-2017, 06:23 AM

Looks to me like the 1 is keeping me from getting to the 8. If that's true, I would make the stripe near the corner and go 2 rails to about the second diamond on the right long rail. From there, I would make the 2 in the side and stop or backup slightly for the 13 in the corner. If I miss shape on the 2, the 8 is still available.

Old
  (#5)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

11-27-2017, 08:45 AM

Thanks for playing, guys. Both plays make sense to me. I realize it was hard to tell from our angle, but the player could see the 8-ball and decided to play it three rails hitting the right side rail, bottom rail barely missing the underside of the 11-ball, and a slight bounce off of the left side rail ending up here. What's the plan from here?

Name:  1B.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  198.1 KB

Last edited by bluepepper; 11-27-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Old
  (#6)
john coloccia
AzB Silver Member
john coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond repute

11-27-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepepper View Post
Thanks for playing, guys. Both plays make sense to me. I realize it was hard to tell from our angle, but the player could see the 8-ball and decided to play it three rails hitting the right side rail, bottom rail barely missing the underside of the 11-ball, and a slight bounce off of the left side rail ending up here. What's the plan from here?

Attachment 476793
3 and 13 are still problems to me. I'd knock in the 13, and try to get on the one and then 3 (if it goes in the bottom left pocket). Maybe 13-2-1...maybe 13.15-1...seems like somehow that 3's got to go away or you need to run into the balls and take a chance. I guess you could just pocket the bottom left stripe and go crashing into the balls too. Always hard to tell what actually goes from just a picture.

Last edited by john coloccia; 11-27-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Old
  (#7)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

11-28-2017, 07:40 AM

The player knocked in the 13-ball as John suggested and ended up in this position. Sorry for the awkward camera angle. It was what I was given. What's the plan from here?

Name:  1C.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  112.8 KB

Old
  (#8)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
The player knocked in the 13-ball as John suggested and ended up in this position. Sorry for the awkward camera angle. It was what I was given. What's the plan from here?

Attachment 476875
I'd go 1-stripe near the corner pocket-11 cue ball into the bottom of the stripe next to the 6 to push a ball out for a break ball.

Old
  (#9)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-28-2017, 10:50 AM

I'm guessing 1, follow out for the 4. If you get a little above it, go down for the 15 or 11 to break.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#10)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

11-29-2017, 05:16 AM

The player did indeed decide to play the 1-ball by following two rails off of the bottom rail and right side rail and ended up here. What's the plan from here?

Name:  1D.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  178.4 KB

Old
  (#11)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

11-30-2017, 07:56 AM

Then the player pocketed the 4-ball in the side. What's the plan from here?

Name:  1E.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  195.7 KB

Old
  (#12)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

11-30-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Then the player pocketed the 4-ball in the side. What's the plan from here?

Attachment 477106
It might be possible to play the ball with inside english and get shape on the 15 in the side for a break. The 11 might provide a second chance to get on the 15.

A more comfortable pattern (avoiding skid on a small-pocketed or very fast table) is to come around two rails for the 15 in the corner.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

no rail first off 8
Old
  (#13)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

no rail first off 8 - 11-30-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Hey, everyone. I had an idea for another puzzle series. I love the idea of instructional videos where the player comments from the table before shooting. I only know of two---Mike Sigel's 100-ball run instructional and AZB's Poolmanis YouTube run. Soon on my YouTube channel I plan to record videos of myself sharing my thoughts before each shot during a run for us to critique, not because I think I know enough at my level to instruct but because I think we can all benefit from a debate over what should or shouldn't be played next and why. Online, we have free access to many video matches of great players running balls. Watching those videos at normal speed is helpful, but I find that pausing them after each shot gives me time to make sense of the table, determine the most appropriate next shot, and more often predict the player's next move.

So how about we go slowly through a single rack, one shot per day, with screen captures of layouts that great players actually faced and worked their ways through? I'll start with the first rack, but please feel free to continue the series with your own screen captures, just making sure to use the next sequential number for the series in the title.

Any comments would be great, but what I think would be best would be for those commenting to evaluate as much of the entire table layout as it currently stands as possible, something like telling the story of each ball and what role it currently plays (clusters, key balls, break balls, insurance balls, problem balls and why, not problem balls and why not, pivot balls, balls that could be bumped into another role, etc.) And be as detailed as you can about the safest, most efficient plan going forward. Plans will change of course as we go through the rack with the player.

If this gets tedious and the series doesn't take off, I won't be offended. That's what eventually happened to the "Run This" series 9 years ago, but we had a good run.

So here's the first layout post-break shot. What's the plan?

Attachment 476650
Could play rail first and pocket 8 ball, however under dry conditions and forgiving pockets ='s scratch. I like the ten at lower left and hold cue ball top outside (left) spin - softly moving towards the one or three. It seems if I were to pocket ten with top center and try to get the eleven to relieve congestion stack it could end poorly - if 8 ball not present. Might be a good note that even though the eight is there I would still never be in the practice of going into that lone eleven ball - hoping that the eleven might break out congestion. Takes a good player to see the natural center ball tangent moves towards full hit on eleven unless super soft cushions. Missing the eleven and gliding smoothly towards the one or three is not an easy shot - this puzzle would be more interesting had the 8 not been there.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 11-30-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Old
  (#14)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

12-01-2017, 06:32 AM

Thanks, Bob and Danny. And Danny, thanks for going into such detail about the opening layout. It's great to have such an accomplished player playing these puzzles with us.

The player did pocket the 10-ball with inside english off of the bottom rail holding it for this position. Spoiler: the player breaks up the cluster off of the 11-ball. But knowing that, what speed and spin would you use to go into the cluster and where would you want the cue ball to contact it and end up? And can you predict any of the resulting ball paths?

Name:  1F.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  192.8 KB

Old
  (#15)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

12-01-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
... Spoiler: the player breaks up the cluster off of the 11-ball. But knowing that, what speed and spin would you use to go into the cluster and where would you want the cue ball to contact it and end up? And can you predict any of the resulting ball paths? ...
It's a little hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like follow will hit the bottom side of the 10(?) and tend to go towards the foot rail leaving some kind of long shot. I think you want to hit full on the 10 or a little on its left side to keep the cue ball in the middle of the table more. I would expect to end up with a ball to the right side pocket.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: