Fractional aiming zones - new system

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Three years ago in a pool hall in Atlanta, GA, I was asked how I aimed, and my reply was, "I don't know....instinct I guess." The kid that asked me the question probably thought I was holding out on him. Anyway, the question stuck with me. How do I aim? I don't know. I just make balls. I started asking other players, A players and a few B players, how they aim. I got some funny looks, but basically everybody told me the same thing I'd told that kid in Atlanta....instinct.

Well, I could't teach my kids "instinct". So, using a little math and a protractor, I discovered something pretty incredible. I have divided the pool table into 3 zones and use fractional ball aiming to pocket any ball from any position. I started teaching my girls how to do it, then showed a neighboring kid from Slovakia (a foreign exchange student). They caught on so quickly that my wife suggested I write a book to show others how to do it. We're hoping the book does well enough to offset some medical expenses.

If this sparks anyone's interest here, see the example shot below. The book is called Poolology, Mastering the Art of Aiming. It's self-published on lulu.com, but I may start selling pdf versions on eBay soon. With this system you can determine the exact fractional ball hit needed to pocket any cut shot on the table. It's quick and accurate, and you don't have to shoot a million balls to learn how to pocket balls consistently.

view

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Most people are familiar with fractional ball aiming, but never has there been a system that shows exactly which aim point/fraction to use. This system uses two values to determine the aim point needed for any shot. One value is the natural alignment (from the center of the cue ball through the center of the object ball, to a point or value on the rail), and the other value is the object ball position. Each object ball has a position on the table, depending on which zone it is sitting in. These values provide an exact fractional hit needed to pocket the ball.

The image can be viewed by right clicking and opening in a new tab or window. It works on my PC, but not on my phone.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Zone A shot

Here's an example. Object ball position is 40. Natural alignment (center to center aim) is 20. This means 1/2 of the cue ball must be outside the edge of the object ball on impact. So the other 1/2 overlaps the object, making this shot a 1/2 ball shot. If the natural alignment was 30, we'd have to have 3/4 (30/40) of the cue ball overhanging the object ball, leaving 1/4 to overlap, which means it'd be a 1/4 ball shot.

Poolology - Mastering the Art of Aiming

There are three zones, all of which have different object ball position values. This system is a fast track to developing a great feel for aiming, for programming your brain to automatically recognize the shots, angles, and aim points.

Last edited:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Maybe you've come up with another way to number it but aiming by the diamonds has been around for awhile.
I also think Freddy the beard mentioned something about fractional aiming in one of his dvds.

What's cool about using the diamonds is they never change.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Unless you played on a table without them.

Then you have to use the Ghost Diamond System. :D

Maybe you've come up with another way to number it but aiming by the diamonds has been around for awhile.
I also think Freddy the beard mentioned something about fractional aiming in one of his dvds.

What's cool about using the diamonds is they never change.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
You are correct. Freddy did something using the diamonds, but simply aiming by the diamonds only works in certain areas of the table. I've come up with zones that allow the system to be used anywhere on the table. The example shown here is a standard shot. Move the ball down three feet or up the table 2 or 3 feet, the old diamond system doesn't work. That's why it hasn't gotten much use....it's not accurate and dependable. I'll post another picture showing why it doesn't work every where. My method is very accurate, very dependable, and works everywhere on the table, any table.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Using this method of Aiming actually builds a visual data base of fractional shots in your brain. I could do it on a table with no markers, because the angles and aim points are in my head. I just wish I would've come up with this 20 years ago, before my head became full of useless information. I've spent years developing a good instinct for aiming, shooting thousands of balls like conventional wisdom suggests. But this system would've given me the same results in a matter of weeks, not years.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
What if you need to cheat the pocket ?
How do you know where the cue ball is going ?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
1). It's a system that teaches a feel for aiming. If the shot requires a 1/4 ball aim, then you can simply add or subtract a touch from that quarter aiming spot to put the ball left or right of center pocket. The same thing my instinct tells me to do if want to cheat the pocket one side or the other. Keep in mind, poolology isn't an aiming system designed to replace your eyes or your feel for pocketing balls. It's designed to help players achieve better visual skills, enhancing the ability to feel more confident in knowing where to aim. Eventually the system becomes nothing but a fundamental crutch to be used on certain shots where confidence is weak.

2). The cue ball is going exactly where you send it, based on speed, spin, shot angle, etc... No need to think about or guess where the exact contact point is when the cue ball strikes the object ball. It doesn't matter...Never has mattered. A 1/2 ball hit does not have a thing to do with the contact point between the two balls....It's a visual thing.... 1/2 the bulk/mass of one ball overlaps 1/2 of the other. Cue ball control is much easier when you have a definite aim point and know exactly what fraction will be used for each shot.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
1). It's a system that teaches a feel for aiming. If the shot requires a 1/4 ball aim, then you can simply add or subtract a touch from that quarter aiming spot to put the ball left or right of center pocket. The same thing my instinct tells me to do if want to cheat the pocket one side or the other. Keep in mind, poolology isn't an aiming system designed to replace your eyes or your feel for pocketing balls. It's designed to help players achieve better visual skills, enhancing the ability to feel more confident in knowing where to aim. Eventually the system becomes nothing but a fundamental crutch to be used on certain shots where confidence is weak.

2). The cue ball is going exactly where you send it, based on speed, spin, shot angle, etc... No need to think about or guess where the exact contact point is when the cue ball strikes the object ball. It doesn't matter... Never has mattered. A 1/2 ball hit does not have a thing to do with the contact point between the two balls....It's a visual thing.... 1/2 the bulk/mass of one ball overlaps 1/2 of the other. Cue ball control is much easier when you have a definite aim point and know exactly what fraction will be used for each shot.

1). OK

2). Wow! :scratchhead:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Two shots.

Rolled these balls out and in less than 10 seconds knew exactly where to aim for each. The 1 ball is a 1/2 ball shot to the corner. The 5 ball is a 3/8 shot to the right corner, or 5/8 to the left corner. The aim points are just that....1/2 ball aim for the 1, 3/8 or 5/8 aim for the 5. No guess work. No tricks or pivot gimmicks.

Attachments

• IMG_20170209_172031894.jpg
    IMG_20170209_172031894.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 2,262

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Another shot.

Sorry.....Pic is large.

Last edited:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Rolled these balls out and in less than 10 seconds knew exactly where to aim for each. The 1 ball is a 1/2 ball shot to the corner. The 5 ball is a 3/8 shot to the right corner, or 5/8 to the left corner. The aim points are just that....1/2 ball aim for the 1, 3/8 or 5/8 aim for the 5. No guess work. No tricks or pivot gimmicks.

I like what your presenting, Ive said many times learn the table, it can only help you.

Last edited:

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Out of curiosity name a system or two that have pivot gimmicks.

Stan Shuffett

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
So true. A lot of factors come into play. But knowing exactly what aim point is required visually makes it much easier to adjust for dirty ball friction and applied spin. I've put a lot of work into my book because I want average players to get better. I watch bar league players struggle to run 5 balls on an open table, a barbox to beat it all. And a few of these guys and gals have been playing pool for 10 years or more! I hope my book will help them. That's why I wrote it. Well, a little extra beer money would be nice, and maybe a dollar or two to fund my wife's treatments.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Stan, just about every person on YouTube has their own version of CTE. But instead of coming in on the shot like you do, they do some weird pivot move. Your method works, while the copycat methods dont....they are mathematically flawed.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Out of curiosity name a system or two that have pivot gimmicks.

Stan Shuffett

Out of curiosity what system do you think he's talking about?

Maybe you shouldn't take offense to everything that resembles your system. :)